All-Star Perfect Competition Curls (i.e. Cali Sm Sr, F5, Shooting Stars)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've been the go to mom for hair instruction/styling on my CP's teams (which got the best of me at one competition when I did 4 girls hair in one morning). My CP has super thick, super straight, HEAVY hair, and for us, hot rollers are the only way to go. She used to do pageants, and we learned a lot from that. Here are the steps that I follow:

1. Wash hair the night before, using clarifying shampoo and NO conditioner. Towel dry hair & apply a super hold gel. We use the Suave level 10 gel. I do not re-wash her hair for the 2nd day of a 2-day competition. We affectionately call this "Day 2 Hair."

2. Pull hair up into whatever style for the competition the next day (half up/half down, ponytail, etc.) and use lots of hairspray. I prefer, as someone mentioned above, Freeze-It brand. It's in a gold can, and I can find it at Walmart or Walgreens by us.

3. I go over my CP's hair with a hairdryer, while it's styled, to set the style and hairspray and to dry her hair before bed.

4. In the morning, I smooth down any fly-aways and re-spray with hairspray and put in her bow BEFORE curling. I use the Remington Ionic hot rollers, and I make sure to leave them plugged in to heat up for at least 30 minutes before use to get them very hot.

5. Taking small sections of hair, I spray each section with Redkin Hotsets setting spray (Redkin #22) right before rolling. This not only smooths the curl but it sets it better with the product on it. I do this for all of her hair, using all the rollers, smallest on the top, biggest on the bottom. After all the rollers are in, I spray over the whole thing with hairspray.

6. I leave the rollers in for at least 45 minutes (during this time we get dressed, eat breakfast, apply make-up, etc.). Starting at the bottom, I take out the rollers. After I unroll each, I split the curl into 2-3 smaller individual pieces of hair, re-spiral each around my finger, release it, and spray it with hairspray. It's time-consuming until you get the hang of it, but now I can fly through it.

7. After all hair is unrolled, I go over the whole head of hair one more time with more hairspray so that my CP's hair is hurricane proof, LOL.

I've received tons of compliments on my CP's and others' hair for cheer and pageants, so despite the fact that this is probably a longer process, it seems to work. I've attached before and after pictures of my CP's hair so you can see the end results.

2ndGrade_1stDay.jpg

Keira_Tryout_curls.jpg

another tip....spray small section with hairspray before using iron....curl on iron in a spiral down the iron.....bed head silver can is fierce hairspray.....signed.....old hairstylist...hey..Ive got cred...I did hair in the 80's...:)))

When hair was pretty big :) literally.

I've been the go to mom for hair instruction/styling on my CP's teams (which got the best of me at one competition when I did 4 girls hair in one morning). My CP has super thick, super straight, HEAVY hair, and for us, hot rollers are the only way to go. She used to do pageants, and we learned a lot from that. Here are the steps that I follow:

1. Wash hair the night before, using clarifying shampoo and NO conditioner. Towel dry hair & apply a super hold gel. We use the Suave level 10 gel. I do not re-wash her hair for the 2nd day of a 2-day competition. We affectionately call this "Day 2 Hair."

2. Pull hair up into whatever style for the competition the next day (half up/half down, ponytail, etc.) and use lots of hairspray. I prefer, as someone mentioned above, Freeze-It brand. It's in a gold can, and I can find it at Walmart or Walgreens by us.

3. I go over my CP's hair with a hairdryer, while it's styled, to set the style and hairspray and to dry her hair before bed.

4. In the morning, I smooth down any fly-aways and re-spray with hairspray and put in her bow BEFORE curling. I use the Remington Ionic hot rollers, and I make sure to leave them plugged in to heat up for at least 30 minutes before use to get them very hot.

5. Taking small sections of hair, I spray each section with Redkin Hotsets setting spray (Redkin #22) right before rolling. This not only smooths the curl but it sets it better with the product on it. I do this for all of her hair, using all the rollers, smallest on the top, biggest on the bottom. After all the rollers are in, I spray over the whole thing with hairspray.

6. I leave the rollers in for at least 45 minutes (during this time we get dressed, eat breakfast, apply make-up, etc.). Starting at the bottom, I take out the rollers. After I unroll each, I split the curl into 2-3 smaller individual pieces of hair, re-spiral each around my finger, release it, and spray it with hairspray. It's time-consuming until you get the hang of it, but now I can fly through it.

7. After all hair is unrolled, I go over the whole head of hair one more time with more hairspray so that my CP's hair is hurricane proof, LOL.

I've received tons of compliments on my CP's and others' hair for cheer and pageants, so despite the fact that this is probably a longer process, it seems to work. I've attached before and after pictures of my CP's hair so you can see the end results.

2ndGrade_1stDay.jpg

Keira_Tryout_curls.jpg

How do you roll them horizontally or vertically?

i have pretty thick hair and most of the time i just curl my hair with sponge rollers if we have to get up early the next day just spray it with any kind of spray gel roll it and hairspray it alot once you take it out the next morning and it looks like this
i really like my hair when i use a spiral curling iron. you take a small section of hair spray it lightly with gel, wrap it around the iron so all the hair is touching the iron, spray the hair with got 2 be glued its the best hairspray ever! then unwrap the hair from the curling iron spray with hairspray again an then tada you get thisthis is my hair in a pony it loks alot better half up half down

16m1rv9.jpg

I know I wasn't on F5, but this was my hair for one of our first competitions. I washed my hair the night before and used my natural curl as a guide for my cheer curls. I sprayed it with either Paul Mitchell's Hot off the Press or Redken's Hot Sets. and used a 1/2 inch curling iron and sprayed with Paul Mitchell's Extra Body Hair Spray.
For our last competition, I added in my extensions to add some volume, it looked fab-u-lous. Too bad I lost my picture :(
Btw, the reason the pony tail curls look different from the non-pony tail curls is because I didn't curl them. @princessmackenzie finished my hair at the convention center because I had taken too long to curl her volumous, lucious, thick, ethnic hair. lol

Back