All-Star Potential Probs. For Us Programs / Bringing In Intl Athletes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
I haven't started a thread, in well over a year - but I think there is an upcoming possible problem that our industry could be facing.

The following Tweets are from Spring Tumbling (who works in over 26 foreign countries, with programs all over the World)

I think these problems are real-life & becoming more and more at risk of occurring:

Spring Tumbling @springtumbling · 13m
American Worlds Teams: Having international talent makes you glamorous & sought after.But those that don't secure Visa's are risking so much

Spring Tumbling @springtumbling · 12m
Part 2: There are serious consequences for these kids & their families. Some get banned from US for 5-10 yrs (I know 2 of these instances)

Spring Tumbling @springtumbling · 11m
Part 3: if it is in your best interest to recruit them.. It is equally in your best interest to help then do this legally & above board.

Spring Tumbling @springtumbling · 9m
A lot of them just want to experience American cheerleading. They are willing to do ANYTHING to make it happen.

Spring Tumbling ‏@springtumbling 9m
@USASF I propose that ANY team competing with international athletes at worlds should be required to show proof of LEGAL residency or visa.

Spring Tumbling @springtumbling · 50s
Next question... Does a gyms insurance cover illegal aliens participating on their teams without proper documentation to be in the country?

This is actually, terrifying - at the end of the day it is only cheerleading & I think that Spring Tumbling has raised some very horrific potential situations. Topic raises a whole new issue that needs to be handled (after all for the most part these are minors).

It's not illegal to be in the states if you're not going for work or to be paid under the table. That being said as a Canadian going to the US you need full disclosure as to why you are going and how long you're going to be there as well as disclosing coming back for holidays etc. I know it's getting really popular for Canadians going to the states and I think it's a great opportunity but at the same time we have great level 5 teams in our country and it sucks that we are having talent leave to go to the states.

I know of 2 girls a girl from Vancouver ice queens and a girl from my own program who was on great whites last year that are moving to go be on Cali bullets? I think that's the name lol

I used to live in the states and cheer and I'd love to go back but at a young age like 15/16 I'd never leave my family to go on my own to a country or even a state where I knew no one. I'm fortunate enough to have loved there so I know a lot of people in different dates but these people from Canada moving don't ...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have always wondered about visa issues. It's not like you can decide you want to cheer here and the next day you get a visa. I assume there is a lot of paperwork involved. A student visa would probably be easiest (though I don't know that it is easy), but wouldn't they have to actually register for classes?

I have always wondered about visa issues. It's not like you can decide you want to cheer here and the next day you get a visa. I assume there is a lot of paperwork involved. A student visa would probably be easiest (though I don't know that it is easy), but wouldn't they have to actually register for classes?

I'm going on a F1 visa (student visa) this fall and I have to be enlisted in 12 credits in order to have a correct "visa status" (if I have understood everything correctly).

For study abroad, I didn't need a 'visa' exactly.

When I landed in Dublin, Irish customs asked why I was there/for how long. I needed my proof of acceptance to UCC on hand just in case they asked for it. They stamped my passport with a 'temporary' stamp that said I must go to the Garda (Irish police) with proof of "income" and a residence (I needed a bank account, my American passport and my lease). I have a garda card (temporary card- it expired 6 months after). I noticed my friends who landed directly in Cork (versus Dublin/Shannon) got a stamp that let them stay through their schooling for the full term without the extra paperwork. Took me a couple of tries to get the temp card because I didn't always have the right papers from the bank.

But they DO need to be careful- America is sometimes a bit ridiculous about security/visa things and 5 years can be AGES. No worlds for 5-10 years? Bye cheer career.

I'm going on a F1 visa (student visa) this fall and I have to be enlisted in 12 credits in order to have a correct "visa status" (if I have understood everything correctly).
That makes sense. I'm going to assume (cause I don't really know), that you would have to file for a renewal for every semester you stay beyond your original visa.

I know that the US offers Tourist visa's, but I assume the length of stay for those would be significantly less than a student or work visa.

Wow I never even thought about these issues that could arise, will be interesting to see how the high profile teams that would face these issues handle them.

I believe Canadians can stay in the US for 6 months if you're living there with a proof of residence. They drive through the border and say they're going to their house Arizona for 6 months and that's it. I don't believe that customers has actually ever asked for proof that they live there. They just want to mostly make sure you're not going there to work illegally. Which is what happened to Xavier when he went home for Xmas and was going back to Cali they thought he was going there for something other than cheer.

I believe Canadians can stay in the US for 6 months if you're living there with a proof of residence. They drive through the border and say they're going to their house Arizona for 6 months and that's it. I don't believe that customers has actually ever asked for proof that they live there. They just want to mostly make sure you're not going there to work illegally. Which is what happened to Xavier when he went home for Xmas and was going back to Cali they thought he was going there for something other than cheer.

Wait, is he one of the people who are banned from the US?

I know from the UK you are allowed to stay for 90 days without needing a visa. However if you were to then fly home for Christmas and return it would start a new 90 cycle. This is risky though as if US customs think you are living there and possibly working, or if you are travelling back and forth often, they are more likely to deny you entry when trying to renter. I must admit this is something I wondered about when I saw the post about the boy from unity trying out for top gun. I know in the past we had problems as within 18 months we had been over 4 times but luckily at the time my parents owned a house in Florida and we had proof of that with us.

this might sound... insensitive - but shouldn't it be the athlete's responsibility to figure out the logistics? there are plenty of international athletes that are extremely talented and, obviously, have the skills to make the top caliber teams in the US. but i'd wager all of those teams could survive without the international athletes.

you shouldn't be trying out and committing to a team prior to figuring out how to make it all work. and i don't think it should be the gym's responsibility. they open their tryouts to anyone via video and choose the best athletes. they don't know the rules and regulations for every country, nor should they have to. i sure as heck wouldn't just up and go to russia to train gymnastics for a year without knowing every law, rule, and regulation because it is ME and possibly my family who are being put on the line, not the gym or the coach who told you to come.

look up the rules before trying out and realistically decide if you can make it work. whether that be a certain $$ amount in a bank account, paying a high fee for a longer term tourist visa, or enrolling in a local college for the year.

(sidenote: from the tweets posted it sounds that this has happened quite a few times already. how did those athletes get on planes once a month+ to fly to competitions without being flagged at the airport? i don't understand?)

I've heard of athletes being placed on a 10 year ban before. Unfortunate. Idk all the details but with more and more international involvement and talent from all over I do think it's extremely important that the industry at least look further into this. No ring or title is worth an international law situation.

I mean, as nice as it would be for the potential future gym to help. I'd also say this is inherently the athlete's task to figure out.
It's not exactly a secret that US immigration isn't what you'd call fun.
I may sound insenitive but if you're willing to move your whole life to another country, you should be in the position to figure out how to do it legally correct or where to ask for help.

Back