All-Star Potential Probs. For Us Programs / Bringing In Intl Athletes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've heard of athletes being placed on a 10 year ban before. Unfortunate. Idk all the details but with more and more international involvement and talent from all over I do think it's extremely important that the industry at least look further into this. No ring or title is worth an international law situation.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
If you are deported because your visa expired and you did not get it renewed, or just ignored it and you are caught and deported (for whatever reason) you cannot apply for 10 years!

I have always wondered about visa issues. It's not like you can decide you want to cheer here and the next day you get a visa. I assume there is a lot of paperwork involved. A student visa would probably be easiest (though I don't know that it is easy), but wouldn't they have to actually register for classes?
We have a nephew living with us from Colombia for a year to attend college for English. We had to show we would house him and have $$ for him to live. He did apply for a loan for school. He cannot work unless it is connected thru school. It is a whole process.

I'm going on a F1 visa (student visa) this fall and I have to be enlisted in 12 credits in order to have a correct "visa status" (if I have understood everything correctly).
Not directing this at you, just using your comment since you mentioned being enrolled in classes: Enlisted for 12 hours is one thing. Do you know if you have to show proof you completed the semester? Too many kids sign up and then drop everything. (Again, not you.)

Not directing this at you, just using your comment since you mentioned being enrolled in classes: Enlisted for 12 hours is one thing. Do you know if you have to show proof you completed the semester? Too many kids sign up and then drop everything. (Again, not you.)

Well, this has not come up with the company that helps me, but everywhere I read it says I need to be enrolled in 12+ units / semester. I guess that includes actually completing them too. I know that I will only receive financial aid from a student grant/loan service in Sweden if I complete 12 units. And no worries, I didn't feel like it was directed at me at all! :)

I believe the athletes come to the U.S. on a P1 Visa. Here's what I found regarding obtaining a P1 Visa.

"To qualify for a P1 visa, the applicant must be internationally recognized and destined to enter the United States to compete or perform at a specific event.

An internationally recognized athlete or entertainer must have significant international recognition either as an individual or as part of a team/group. This must be evidenced by skill and recognition above that ordinarily encountered and the person or group must be recognized in more than one country for a sustained period of time.

In addition, the applicant must have a US employer or agent to sponsor their trip to the United States.

P1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements."

and

"A P1 visa entitles the holder to participate in an event in the US. A P1 visa is usually granted to entertainers for the duration of their specific event only and will not exceed 1 year. However, individual athletes may be admitted for up to 5 years and a team athlete for up to 1 year and extensions may be granted. Internationally recognized athletes and entertainers with a P1 visa are permitted dual intent, meaning the applicant can maintain P1 visa status while applying for a Green Card to remain in the US permanently."

They must grant the visas rather quickly since they cannot obtain the visa until they have a secure spot on the team. Practices usually begin immediately following tryouts.

I lived in Germany for a few years (as a student and then worked) and also coached and cheered while there. The process was fairly simple... I was allowed to stay for 90 days initially without any other paperwork/visa etc. Before the 90 days were up, I had to go to the local immigration office, show my letter of acceptance from the university, a rental agreement for where I was living as well as either 1) bank statements showing I had the equivalent of, I believe, 800 Euro/mo. or 2) a letter from my parents saying they were going to support me financially and proof of their incomes. At the office, they print out my visa (which is really just a big sticker) and they secure it into my passport. While I was a student, I was allowed to work "student jobs" (no more than, 400 Euro/month).

In comparison, I met my now husband in Germany and we are now living in the US... it was a year long process and about a 3" thick packet of paperwork to get him a K1 visa (fiance visa as they call it) just to get permission for him to enter the US to get married. After that, we had to file paperwork for him to be able to stay in the US as my husband. He got his visa literally 5 days before his flight to the US for the wedding.

After the wedding, we had to file that application and paperwork within 90 days...lots more paperwork and $$. That was approved in February 2013. He was given a permanent resident card with residency limitations of 2 years.

End of this year, we have to shell out more $$ and put together more paperwork to show we are still in a committed, true relationship/marriage so he can get the restrictions removed and receive a green card that's valid for 10 years.

See, I'm re-reading the title of the thread. And now I'm curious-

If the US teams are specifically recruiting International athletes, does the onus to get everything in order fall more on the gym or the athlete, versus if the athlete specifically requests to come to a team themselves?

Probably the athlete since with visas fees are involved. I'm guessing people outside North America get a visa to make sure they're there legally in the US but I'd be willing to bet that the Canadians don't lol

I believe the athletes come to the U.S. on a P1 Visa. Here's what I found regarding obtaining a P1 Visa.

"To qualify for a P1 visa, the applicant must be internationally recognized and destined to enter the United States to compete or perform at a specific event.

An internationally recognized athlete or entertainer must have significant international recognition either as an individual or as part of a team/group. This must be evidenced by skill and recognition above that ordinarily encountered and the person or group must be recognized in more than one country for a sustained period of time.

In addition, the applicant must have a US employer or agent to sponsor their trip to the United States.

P1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements."

and

"A P1 visa entitles the holder to participate in an event in the US. A P1 visa is usually granted to entertainers for the duration of their specific event only and will not exceed 1 year. However, individual athletes may be admitted for up to 5 years and a team athlete for up to 1 year and extensions may be granted. Internationally recognized athletes and entertainers with a P1 visa are permitted dual intent, meaning the applicant can maintain P1 visa status while applying for a Green Card to remain in the US permanently."

They must grant the visas rather quickly since they cannot obtain the visa until they have a secure spot on the team. Practices usually begin immediately following tryouts.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but athletes who want to move to the U.S. with the sole purpose of being on an Allstar cheerleading team would not be eligible for a P1 visa. P1 visas, or just P visas in general, are for major league athletes. (i.e. you're looking at NFL, MLB, NBA etc.) Other P-type visas included are for people like Justin Bieber (an "artist", ughhhhh..... whatever) or performing artist (outstanding ballet dancers, Broadway performers etc.). Unfortunately, Allstar cheerleading isn't internationally recognized as a "sport" yet, so being shafted by the P1 visa is no surprise.

Also, you'll notice that the examples I used above are all paid positions, Allstar cheerleaders on the other hand don't get paid to cheer. Their best option would be to enroll themselves in a college as a full-time student near the gym they want to be a part of, or if they're still in high school, just apply for a one-year study-abroad programme. You'll be surprise how much freedom a person on a student visa is granted. I was on a student visa myself while attending college in the U.S., and I could travel wherever I wanted within borders without raising any alarms (this would resolve traveling for competitions). I was allowed to participate in non-commercial dance competitions (allstar dance was OK) as long as I had the documents to show that I was legally residing in the U.S.. One of the most important benefits of being enrolled in a university under a student visa is that you get to take advantage of their international student services, something which allstar gyms lack. Their job is to advise you on what you can or cannot do, and basically ensure that your stay in the U.S. is a hassle-free one. The people employed at the international student services offices are trained to handle questions thrown at them by immigration, allstar gym owners only know so much unless they hire an immigration lawyer of some sort.

Though, one major drawback would be having to finance all of this. If you're not granted a scholarship to study in the U.S., on top of having to fork out money for cheer, it will burden you financially. Especially if you come from a country where the cost of living is a lot lower than the U.S., you'll feel the pinch alright.

Ya that was back at Christmas though. Someone apparently in Canada, according to spring, was banned from the US.

There are a bunch of different kinds of visas. As long as these athletes are here for their set time, aren't being paid cash, etc., it's totally legal. Plus, there are different rules for our neighbors to the north and south.
I'm wondering if deep pockets overseas might flip the script and start recruiting US athletes to live there for a season...

There are a bunch of different kinds of visas. As long as these athletes are here for their set time, aren't being paid cash, etc., it's totally legal. Plus, there are different rules for our neighbors to the north and south.
I'm wondering if deep pockets overseas might flip the script and start recruiting US athletes to live there for a season...
I've been thinking this too. In Norway and Sweden it's already pretty common to bring over American/Canadian coaches for a season or two. Some compete too.

Back