OT Potter Puzzle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yay harry potter! I wasnt sure if we were allowed to talk about it here considering it has absolutely nothing to do with cheer haha But I love all of these. I wish I had a brain capable of writing every little detail like JKR. She is truly incredible.

Well, it is summer, and things get slow....but I do LOVE all the little details JKR put into these books. I just wish she'd start another series, based on their kids!

JKR is just full of all sorts of amazing word play. I took 10 years of Latin (from 7th grade through Sr year of college) so I'm as close to fluent as it gets. It came in very useful while reading these books because the roots of many of the spells and other wizard words are Latin and it was very interesting.
Many of the members of the Black family are names after stars of constellations (Sirius, Regulus, Andromeda, Bellatrix). The last name Malfoy starts with "mal" which means bad in Latin. Lucius comes from the Latin word "lux" which means light (pale coloring).
Remus Lupin: Romulus and Remus were twins that were raised by wolves, legend says they founded Rome. Romulus was Lupin's code name on the radio program "Potterwatch" in Deathly Hallows. Also Lupin is from the Latin "lupine" which means wolf.
The English word severe (meaning strict or stern) comes from the Latin word Severus.....as in, Severus Snape.
There are more than I could list here! I should go through the books, re-read them, and make a long list!
I did my end of the year Latin project on this :)

JKR is just full of all sorts of amazing word play. I took 10 years of Latin (from 7th grade through Sr year of college) so I'm as close to fluent as it gets. It came in very useful while reading these books because the roots of many of the spells and other wizard words are Latin and it was very interesting.
Many of the members of the Black family are names after stars of constellations (Sirius, Regulus, Andromeda, Bellatrix). The last name Malfoy starts with "mal" which means bad in Latin. Lucius comes from the Latin word "lux" which means light (pale coloring).
Remus Lupin: Romulus and Remus were twins that were raised by wolves, legend says they founded Rome. Romulus was Lupin's code name on the radio program "Potterwatch" in Deathly Hallows. Also Lupin is from the Latin "lupine" which means wolf.
The English word severe (meaning strict or stern) comes from the Latin word Severus.....as in, Severus Snape.
There are more than I could list here! I should go through the books, re-read them, and make a long list!
you took latin??? you mind helping me with my homework time to time :p lol

I've always hated the fact that my school doesn't offer latin.. :( Does anyone know if Rosetta Stone actually works?

They may not offer Latin since it's a dead language. Since no one actually speaks Latin, pronunciation doesn't matter (which was great b/c in high school the foreign language exams all had an oral part, except Latin)!

lol im only in latin 2, but i should get better at it. translating long stories= pain in the buttox :banghead:

Oh yes! I found translating was easiest when I did a 3 line translation. I'd write out the Latin, skipping 3 lines between. On the line directly below the Latin I would write out a word for word translation, not worrying about putting words in the right order or conjugating verbs. Then on the next line I'd "pretty it up" with conjugations and correct syntax. I'd leave the 3rd line blank, just cause it helped me visually.

Oh yes! I found translating was easiest when I did a 3 line translation. I'd write out the Latin, skipping 3 lines between. On the line directly below the Latin I would write out a word for word translation, not worrying about putting words in the right order or conjugating verbs. Then on the next line I'd "pretty it up" with conjugations and correct syntax. I'd leave the 3rd line blank, just cause it helped me visually.
i wish i could shimmy that 29401294810932 times. that will help so much :) i would just try to do it all at once and occasionally get some right (even when i used the correct order) After we got past easy sentences like the boy is good. i got lost haha hopefully this year will be a little better:)

I had the most amazing Latin teacher. For assignments we would translate songs into Latin. I was the class clown and translated The Beastie Boys "Girls"...Puellae!

hahaha that's how i got through three years of latin and a year of greek in high school.

and the whole "latin is dead so no OPIs" was definitely my reasoning for taking it too. haha

I've always hated the fact that my school doesn't offer latin.. :( Does anyone know if Rosetta Stone actually works?
My brother is using it (he got it through his school for only $80) and he loves it. He does it every night. Walks around speaking useless Latin phrases. I'm over it but he enjoys it. (He was an art history major though)

Back