All-Star Practice Length?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
So, my team practices 1x a week (Sunday, 3-6) and i'm a little upset. They just changed the times on us. We are now going 12-6 every sunday. A 6 hour practice. I'm on a senior team, but there are 10 year olds on the team. Doesn't this seem too extreme? We do NOT get a lunch break, but most of us just bring snacks to eat during water breaks. We have 6 more practices to a Competition (even though the competition is in January....?) What do you guys think? I think 6 hours a week isn't a big deal, but when its lumped into one day, its just too much!

Oh gosh that's crazy! And super hard on a 10 year old. One day of practice and jamming it all in just seems crazy to me. It would be more beneficial to have two 3 hour practices on separate days. 6 hours tires you out and by hour 5 your body is already wanting to drop dead lol. I would ask your coach is there can be any possibility of a schedule readjustment. Or even have an hour break at least on Sunday.

Oh gosh that's crazy! And super hard on a 10 year old. One day of practice and jamming it all in just seems crazy to me. It would be more beneficial to have two 3 hour practices on separate days. 6 hours tires you out and by hour 5 your body is already wanting to drop dead lol. I would ask your coach is there can be any possibility of a schedule readjustment. Or even have an hour break at least on Sunday.
Yes, this is VERY true. And we condition the last 30 minutes! We have begged and begged, but we are at a gymnastics facility and we hate sharing the gym because our floor is right next to the beams, and they are always dismounting onto our floor!

maybe when you have to share the floor with the gymnasts, use half the floor for stunting, instead of running full outs, so you would have a shorter practice for stunts (when you're sharing the gym), and use the gym when its empty on another day for running routines?
I know after 3 hours I wanna drop dead.. I couldn't imagine 6!

I was going to going a IOC5 team last season and we would have practiced from 5-9 every Sunday, 4 hours...not to bady especially because everyone was older. But for 10 year olds? Not so much.

My CP is on a J2 team and they practice two days a week for 2.5 hours. Only two hours is cheer practice, the other 1/2 hour is dedicated to tumbling.

6 hours is reedonkulous. There is no way my 10 year old would ever last that long.

Lol my team was known for our crazy long practices usually 4-6 hours on friday and 3-4 hours sat and sun. But it was an IOC5 team. I doubt that a 6 hour practice would be beneficial for lower level teams/ younger athletes. Youll prob only get a good 3 hours worth of work and the rest will prob be pointless since everyone will be dead tired.

That's crazy. I've had 6 hour practice, but that was during choreography. We got frequent breaks and a lunch break for 45 minutes in between. But 6 hours-nonstop? wow. I'm 16 and I'm dead by the end of 4 hours on Sundays. I can't even imagine what it'd be like for a 10 year old.

I coach a mini 1 and we have a 2 hour weekday practice and a 2.5 hour Sunday practice. Our older teams practice for 3 hours on Sundays. The gym I cheered at when I was younger did 4 hour practices on the weekends, but we always had a break in the middle and part of the practice was a tumbling class. Six hours as a regular practice seems crazy and after a certain point, counter productive.

CP Does 2 hours of cheer practice on Sunday, one hour of cheer tumble Monday, and then artistic gymnastics Monday and Wednesday 6-8 and Saturday 12-2.

Back