All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How does one begin the process to becoming a comp judge?
Here, you apply to the cheerleading federation. You have some paper work to fill. Then, they contact you to follow a judge training, and you are evaluated online after that.

You then become "shadow judge" for a few competitions. Your judging doesn't count, but you give your sheets to the head judge. When the federation feels you are ready, you can judge at their events. Most of the competitions here are FCQ attested.

How does one begin the process to becoming a comp judge?

We send out a request for judges every year through the Provincial association. If you're interested, you attend judges training and shadow judge some competitions. Once they determine that you know what you're doing you can start judging. They also have mandatory refresher sessions every year for experienced judges.

How do people balance professional careers with coaching, especially with school cheer. All of my high school coaches were teachers, but what other careers have that kind of flexibility?

How do people balance professional careers with coaching, especially with school cheer. All of my high school coaches were teachers, but what other careers have that kind of flexibility?
My high school coach was a paralegal. She worked regular 9-5 so our practices were 5:30 - 7:30 or 8 nightly instead of right after school like most teams. I enjoyed it because I had time to make it home, grab a snack, do homework and change fully for practice. Then come home and shower/eat dinner. We also shared gym space with a number of teams, so we were usually coming in when they were heading out and it freed up more space for us. Beyond practice times there wasn't too much of a conflict. Games were late Friday nights when she was off and Saturday competitions she was obvious off as well.

I coached school a year in college and had most classes midday. I kept the same schedule as her because it worked best.

When doing a tuck.. running or standing..
Is it best to grab behind the knee and pull to chest..
or grab the knee and pull to chest ..

This has always been an ongoing debate between myself and my all star kids that cheer for high school

This has always been an ongoing debate between myself and my all star kids that cheer for high school
I think it might be more of a personal preference, I've always grabbed behind the knees.

I grabbed shins, but most of our athletes grab under the knee or they don't grab at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work for my district as a counselor so it works pretty well.

My assistant coach teaches.

The biggest conflict in working with non-school staff or people with 9-5 schedules had to do with summer practices. It is difficult at times for people with traditional 9-5s to make weekday summer practices that are from 1-3. Depending on the program, there is flexibility in that, though. Not everyone has a summer schedule that includes weekday practices.

I can do it both way but prefer to grab knees. Weird because one of my sisters grabs under legs and then the other kinda does a mix of the two.

I can do it both way but prefer to grab knees. Weird because one of my sisters grabs under legs and then the other kinda does a mix of the two.
Lol I used to grab my shins but now I kind of grab my calf muscles...it's weird lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think tucks that grab behind the knee are more consistent. Everyone I've ever known that grabs shins, learned it from a gymnastics gym.

I think with tucks, it's also based on how you start your tuck. I find most who grab shins throw the arms up and bring the knees/legs to the arms. Those who grab behind the knee often throw arms back and circle them around to the back of the knee, using their arms to initiate some rotation, if that makes sense.

Back