All-Star Retirement???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Pebbles49

Cheer Parent
Jan 27, 2014
Last year, my daughter, who cheered on a Youth team had an undefeated season and won numerous jackets and awards... But when discussions about the new season surfaced, many of the athletes did not want to return to cheering... most stated, that they accomplished everything in the 1 season... Mind you, we are talking about children younger than 12 y.o.
Just curious, When is the proper time to hang up your cheer bow?
Furthermore, is it about winning jackets and awards that motivates you only, if you still cheer?

I think it completely depends upon the individual. It was never about just winning for me. I cheered in high school and it was my sense of community, friendships and the social aspect that kept me cheering. Eventually, I gave up cheer when I went to college. I just didn't have the time, cheering felt different without my girl's from home and I wanted to focus on my other passions (dance and horseback riding).

I've seen/heard kids say "It feels like a job instead of something I love doing."

Once it starts to feel like that, it may be time to be done.

You know, before this team my daughter also cheered on another team that had an undefeated season - Jr level and most of these kids, who were a few years older (12-14yo) did not have the same attitude and most were eager to move on to the next season and try again for that winning season...
So, I was quite surprise by these young people, so young, but ready to leave the sport...

I've seen/heard kids say "It feels like a job instead of something I love doing."

THIS.

I also think that for all the attention that level 5 gets, only people that have experienced level 5 probably "get" that it's an entirely different world. Expectations are different, pressure is different, scrutiny is different, time expected to be there, what you have to give up to be committed to a level 5 team....it's all different. A lot of people get annoyed that the boards only seem to talk about level 5 but that's exactly the "different world" that I'm referring to. Some kids on lower levels and their parents might think it's all red carpets and twitter followers but that's just what the outside sees. They don't see the interminable practice schedule, the bid pressure, the intensity of practices etc etc and the bottom line is it DOES quite frequently become a job. That goes for Y5 too and I'm not at all surprised to see (especially) younger ones decide that "hey, I'm 9! I wanna have fun and play with my little ponies and watch disney tv rather than be at the gym 16 hours a week sweating and sore."

For me im 20 and just finished my first season season starting level 1 stunt group and ending on a senior 2 for nationals. I cheer for many reasons but winning isnt one of them. I want to win doint get me wrong but if my team hit and do the best they can and we dont win thats ok. I am never going to give up just because ive had an undefeated season.
If you dont have the passion for it like you used then thats the time you might want to think about either taking a break or retire from the sport

As 12step said it does becomes a job. Cp felt that at his 1st year on L5 and was very grateful he was allowed to cross down to L3 where though just as competitive the stress and pressure was not there.

Would he ever have hung it up early after a great season? Doubtful as he has a goal in mind but I guess anything is possible

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

Coming from level 10 gymnastics to cheerleading, level 5 is the only level I have ever competed at. I coach a level 3 team and tell them to enjoy their time because level 5 is a whole different ballpark. However, I can't say I feel as if it feels like it's become a job. Gymnastics required more hours in the gym and I may just be COMPARED TO gymnastics that it doesn't seem like a job.

I feel like my love for cheerleading has never even dulled down, even though I've only ever been on level 5.

If it were to though, I feel like it would be time to call a quits.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

MY CP was on a VERY successful J5 this past season and she is youth aged. Even though she won some big comps including NCA she doesn't feel she accomplished it all in one season. She still dreams to compete on a worlds team which she wont be eligible for another 3 seasons.

Coming from level 10 gymnastics to cheerleading, level 5 is the only level I have ever competed at. I coach a level 3 team and tell them to enjoy their time because level 5 is a whole different ballpark. However, I can't say I feel as if it feels like it's become a job. Gymnastics required more hours in the gym and I may just be COMPARED TO gymnastics that it doesn't seem like a job.

I feel like my love for cheerleading has never even dulled down, even though I've only ever been on level 5.

If it were to though, I feel like it would be time to call a quits.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Do you think, Cheergirl11, since you and my daughter have similar backgrounds with gymnastics and then cheerleading, that having experienced a sport that requires a lot of time in the gym factored in your desire to want to cheer?...
My daughter is going into her 3rd year of cheering and each year, she seems to love the sport more and more... Most of the athletes who are quitting, have been cheering for 7 or more years, without ever trying other sports and now, they feel like they reached the pinnacle of the sport and ready to get out on top!
Some of these athletes, actually, sound like they are afraid to get out there again!

Last edited:
Kind of random, but why do we call it retiring? I've never heard another person that didn't go pro with their sport say they were retiring. Most of the time they just say they stopped or it got boring to them. To me saying you retired means you made money off of it, just like a job.
Alexx, there were 2 reasons I named this thread Retirement, 1st reason, just to point out the extreme that the young people contemplating hanging up a sport... Just like you, I thought, hey, maybe take a year off and come back, but the responses from the young people are so final...Additionally, Retirement, also equates to leaving a job as well. (I am equating the Jackets, plaques and banners to the Watches that a person will receive, when they leave long term employment)

Last edited:
Kind of random, but why do we call it retiring? I've never heard another person that didn't go pro with their sport say they were retiring. Most of the time they just say they stopped or it got boring to them. To me saying you retired means you made money off of it, just like a job.
When it was a reality for my cp14 it was just semantics. It hurt my heart too much to call it quitting. So I called it retirement trying to make it hurt less to me.

Old SM in me I guess.

When it was a reality for my cp14 it was just semantics. It hurt my heart too much to call it quitting. So I called it retirement trying to make it hurt less to me.

Old SM in me I guess.
Sorry for being nosy, but the term quitting seems more final to you as opposed to retirement...Wow! I hate to say it, when my daughter quit gymnastics - I called it 'quitting,' because this word seems to be less final than retirement... Quitting to me equate the possibility of a Comeback,,, whereas, Retirement equates being put out to pasture,,,Que Sera, Sera... Adios, "You are the Weakest Link, Goodbye"! lol (just saying!!!)

Last edited:
Sounds like burnout. Shame it happens when they are so young, but it does indeed happen. In my mind, there is always something to work towards. It should never be just about the jackets and awards, but many times it becomes that.

Back