All-Star Rudeness At Awards!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

True story - COA in Orlando this April....
All teams gathered on the floor for the awards ceremony. As teams were called in 5th, 4th, etc. place, they LEFT THE BALLROOM. Like physically got up and started walking up the aisle and out of the ballroom.
Talk about bad sportsmanship! I was mortified. In addition, all the folks sitting in the audience now could not see the stage because of the teams leaving.

we stand up for every team awarded first. the only thing that annoys me is when the announcer decides to go into a detail story...NO ONE CARES its awards JUST tell who got first so we can all leave and go eat some real food.

I think we have been at the same competitions! LOL It's even better when you are there for multiple awards ceremonies so you get to hear the story several times. ;)

As for the celebrating, I can cut the kids some slack. It's the parents that need to control themselves. Politely clap when second place is announced, but actually wait for your team's name before you go crazy.

hck19 said:
i totally agree! i think the only time that it is KIND OF acceptable to do that is if you win the gold medal at worlds...because come on...you just won worlds haha. no other time is acceptable for me. sit down and stop your squealing until your name is actually called please!

Some kids don't even know their win at the Rinky Dink Supreme nationals isn't as good as winning a Worlds gold medal. It feels the same to them.

All teams gathered on the floor for the awards ceremony. As teams were called in 5th, 4th, etc. place, they LEFT THE BALLROOM. Like physically got up and started walking up the aisle and out of the ballroom.
Talk about bad sportsmanship! I was mortified. In addition, all the folks sitting in the audience now could not see the stage because of the teams leaving.

This is the ultimate show of disrespect IMHO. I have seen this before too. It's like well we didn't win first...so who cares and then they parade out and I think this really takes away from the winners. So many people are leaving that you can't see what is going on, on the stage. I think of the story when I graduated everytime this happens. The kid in front of me was called and walked on stage and got his diploma and his group of family and friends were so loud and went on for so long and then proceeded to get up and leave after their son was called that my mom and dad didn't even hear my name, nor see me. I worked just as hard as you and then the moment is ruined. May not be relevant, but I feel sad for the team that worked so hard and doesn't get "Their Moment."

I've seen the walkout thing too and that is extremely rude. I've also witnessed a coach yelling out profanities then gathering his team to make a grand exit in the middle of awards. Both of these are examples of poor sportsmanship.

I ask my teams to wait until they're name is called to go crazy but they have a very difficult time containing themselves. Especially when the announcer is drawing out the suspense for second place.

I've been at a competition where this is what the EP instructed the cheerleaders to do! As soon as their name was called, they were to exit the floor immediately. I now wonder if the parents had any idea this is what the EP had planned or if they thought the other teams were unsportsmanlike and rude?

One of my big pet peeves is when people sit in the stands staring at children during awards hoping to catch someone showing their happiness a few seconds early, then excitedly rush to message boards to trash them for it.

I have seen plenty of rudeness and poor sportsmanship in my years, getting happy too early is FAR down towards the bottom of things I get worried about. Much higher on my list is judgmental people trashing kids for how they well they can control their joy.

If you outscore one of our teams, feel free to celebrate immediately.

Love this post!!

at nca and return to atlantis you HAVE to get off the stage after you are called, you dont get to clap for the other teams and whatnot

One of my big pet peeves is when people sit in the stands staring at children during awards hoping to catch someone showing their happiness a few seconds early, then excitedly rush to message boards to trash them for it.

I have seen plenty of rudeness and poor sportsmanship in my years, getting happy too early is FAR down towards the bottom of things I get worried about. Much higher on my list is judgmental people trashing kids for how they well they can control their joy.

If you outscore one of our teams, feel free to celebrate immediately.

AGREE 100%!

I love BATC awards cause they announce first place first so theres never any issues.
I also love it cause we were able to do this
196050_1753963443892_1083090125_31636505_2537362_n.jpg

196420_1923767336798_1320558502_32227837_2981215_n.jpg

A lot of teams copied our lead after that which was nice.

This is the ultimate show of disrespect IMHO. I have seen this before too. It's like well we didn't win first...so who cares and then they parade out and I think this really takes away from the winners. So many people are leaving that you can't see what is going on, on the stage. I think of the story when I graduated everytime this happens. The kid in front of me was called and walked on stage and got his diploma and his group of family and friends were so loud and went on for so long and then proceeded to get up and leave after their son was called that my mom and dad didn't even hear my name, nor see me. I worked just as hard as you and then the moment is ruined. May not be relevant, but I feel sad for the team that worked so hard and doesn't get "Their Moment."

I've never seen that happen before and i hope to never ever see that happen! My daugther knows to show respect, i raised her that way! treat others how you want to be treated. So if your team won first place, you wouldn't want the other team to boo you, just to show a little respect for you! thats all.

Back