All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This reminds me of parents who never give their kids the sex talk for fear that they'll be 'telling their kids what to do' (WTF?). And so the kids go and collect misinformation from their friends about sex, sexual health and pregnancy. These are the kids who can't name more than 5 STDs, how to prevent them, can't list certain types of contraceptives and think that pregnancy can be prevented using ridiculous and highly ineffective methods. Compare those kids to the ones whose parents actually sit them down and explain everything to them. And most importantly, they set boundaries but let their child know that they can come to them for anything (help, advice, etc.). Those are the parents who can intervene when, for example, a friend gets pregnant (think Spike and Manny on Degrassi), or in the case of drinking, the child who messes up and gets drunk at a party and knows that they can call their parent to drive them home instead of trying to wing it and drive themselves, which often has tragic consequences.
Exactly.

Trust is the most important thing in our family. My parents were always open with me about drinking, about sex ed, about their own pasts and what they did as teenagers, and in return, I was always honest with them. If I could prove myself to be a good, trustworthy kid, then they allowed me the appropriate amount of freedom. I got the sex talk, because they believed it was preferable for me to have sex safely, than to try and be abstinent but slip up and not be protected.

My mom would have been more disappointed in me if I told her I went to a friend's house but actually went to a party and had one drink, than if I told her I was going to a party but got a bit carried away with the booze. Because at least in the latter example I was being honest.

It's an idea I never would have though of. (Let's just ignore that Uber is illegal where I live....)
I wasn't a drinker in high school (or now), but my parents were ok with my brother having friends over and drinking. I guess they figured it was better for them to be in a house where they could get help if something went wrong, than out somewhere/risk someone driving drunk.
Why is Uber illegal in your area?

Do you happen to remember how it went? Or heard about it second hand?
I only heard of it happening once in 2013: two girls were asked to provide a sample and were taken to the bathroom with adult chaperones from the team.

I'm not sure what they test for, or the consequences of positive results.

The idea of the government body drug testing athletes when they can't even uniformly apply their own rules is beyond ludicrous.

It takes a village to raise children. Hold teenagers accountable, realise they all do stupid stuff, and trust you've raised a child with enough integrity to not step on the mat under the influence.
In 2011, two people from each top 3 team (not sure all divisions, at least the premier divisions) had to be drug tested. However, people were not picked random, coaches could pick two. The drug testing was right after awards.

why only test two people....

I wouldn't mind the two people if it was completely random selection. Because then, in theory, everyone would stay clean because it could be them. If you know it's up to your coach, obviously they're going to ask for two people who will pass to step up. They're not sending Hungover-Hannah out to pee in a cup and penalize the entire team.

I love that Uber exists. It gives another option to kids too scared to call Mom/Dad. And, yes, the kids are using it! I highly suggest adding the app to the phone of your teenagers for that "just in case" need.
Uber drivers are not allowed to pick up kids who aren't 18? Do they just do it anyway?

Back