All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

we don't know how often or for how long she was taking heroin. if she was using it as a nighttime recreational drug, her performance wouldnt really be affected, especially if she was getting herself up with amphetamine during athletics. she either didn't know her limits or was testing her limits with heroin. im guessing she didn't know, was new to it and took too much. im guessing that the night she died, she oded on that and probably with xanax. if it was the amphetamine that did her in, there would have been some cardiac and/or stroke complication noted in the autopsy report. the amphetamine was probably her regular thing for athletics. amphetamine does in fact help athletic performance... *a lot*.

ive always wondered what percentage of lvl5 take prescription medication, such as adderal, or street amphetamines to enhance performance.
Adderal is an ADD medication, my brother used to take it, if people are taking it for not add/ADHD purposes they're probably using it to lose weight since it's suppress your appetite.

i think this is a very good point. i know we can't say for sure either way, but maybe we shouldn't assume she was intentionally/knowingly taking all these drugs? I know king said heroin is more common than we think and i do realize that, but she very well could have been smoking marijuana laced with heroin. she also very well could have just been on heroin. again, i don't know either way, but we could at least give her the benefit of the doubt!

One, maybe she gets the benefit of a doubt; four, nope.

Tons of students use it to help them focus on big tests and such. It seems to be more prominent in college but people definitely use it in HS too.
My brother used it in elementary school, he recently switched to a different medication because he kept losing too much weight (he's now a 12 year old who's 5 feet tall and 67 pounds) so we switched to one that doesn't suppress his appetite so he could put more weight on.

Adderal is an ADD medication, my brother used to take it, if people are taking it for not add/ADHD purposes they're probably using it to lose weight since it's suppress your appetite.
The number of people I know that took it specifically to keep weight down is astounding. I can name a handful off the top of my head from my former gym that took it to keep flying spots when younger girls were moving up, so I know this is happening elsewhere too. Since this happened during summer, it's safe to assume she wasn't using it to help her study. At an insanely competitive program like UofL it wouldn't surprise me at all if a majority of the tops took it for weight management.

One, maybe she gets the benefit of a doubt; four, nope.
but some of them are not out of the norm. like people said, adderal is super common, marijuana is ridiculously common, and for all we know the xanax and/or adderal could have been prescribed. but i realize just because they're common doesn't mean its right. she definitely made a mistake, its just heartbreaking.

but some of them are not out of the norm. like people said, adderal is super common, marijuana is ridiculously common, and for all we know the xanax and/or adderal could have been prescribed. but i realize just because they're common doesn't mean its right. she definitely made a mistake, its just heartbreaking.

Xanax and adderall are a lot more accessible and common than you might think to people who are not prescribed it. In fact the only thing on the list that seems out of the ordinary for a student like her (these days, at least from the students I've encountered) is heroin, and even then, from things I've heard and from statistics about Louisville, that's not surprising.

The only jaw-dropper was heroin...do you think something she smoked could have been laced with it?

Either that or she previously had an issue with painkillers (which isn't exactly unheard of in high-level sports) and then switched to heroin afterwards.

So sad. So preventable.
As someone who is studying substance abuse I'm gonna go ahead and say this..

I don't know dani but I can almost bet after seeing those list of drugs that the amphetamines weren't just adderall, it was most likely cocaine. Someone doesn't just have a list of drugs in their system by coincidence, and from what I do know about her is that she has a history of drug abuse problems.

THIS. I lost 40 pounds when I started taking my ADHD medication. I take vyvanse (its prescribed just to clarify), which is pretty much the same thing. People at school BEG for you to sell them some of your medication, one kid was so desperate he offered to give me $100 for one pill. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to sell it because basically if you mix any ADHD medication with anything it's just not good news, and kids are idiots and don't pay attention and I'm not going to be responsible-plus, if I sell a pill than thats one less that I have. Oh, and it's pretty illegal. It just amazes me what people do and talk about culture shock coming to college where drugs are common and so is drinking every night. My high school was pretty bad, too-actually, my entire town. It's super common for girls who are FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL to think they're pregnant and faking pregnancies to get a guy to stay with you is actually common- I'm embarrassed for them honestly. I've never been a partier and I can honestly say I will never be one. I'm always the designated driver/mom if I end up going somewhere with my friends. People do acid, smoke everything they can get their hands on, mix alcohol with deadly drugs, and drinking and driving is also more common than most people would like to know. It's kind of surprising to be honest. Not that you can bust every drug dealer or every parent that is buying their underage children alcohol, but I personally feel like this goes on way too often and people just turn the other cheek, it's sad that a tragedy has to happen for people to realize whats really going on with our generation.

I understand that adderall and Xanax could be prescribed either by themselves or possibly both. But if we grant that, then she was still an idiot using illegal drugs when she would have no idea what the impact would be.

I would say I came from a fairly innocent background, my mom was an inner city principal but I thought a lot of those problems were inner city problems. Freshman year of college changed my total outlook. My roommates were all beautiful girls, and so were their sorority sisters. I couldn't believe how many of them smoked weed regularly, including my one roommate. A girl I cheered with was pre-pharm and bought adderal off another girl on the squad who had a prescription for it but didn't like to take it because it made her sluggish. Our boys would show up so hungover and a one varsity guy was constantly high at Sunday practices. Quite a few casually hooked up. It was a total culture shock for me.

Taking drugs to study and get better grades is a bit of a different mindset to taking them for other reasons. Also, prescribed amphetamine-based drugs for treatment of ADHD will show up differently on a tox screen than street speed. It also isn't physically addictive (at least the one I am prescribed is not). I'm not discounting the fact that taking drugs that aren't prescribed for you is harmful, but taking adderall to make grades isn't really the substance abuse that alarms me. Coke, speed, meth, heroin, crack... that's when it gets scary, that's when your cognitive ability to make smart life choices becomes seriously impaired and taking a bit of smack to take the edge off seems like a good idea.

Xanax and adderall are a lot more accessible and common than you might think to people who are not prescribed it. In fact the only thing on the list that seems out of the ordinary for a student like her (these days, at least from the students I've encountered) is heroin, and even then, from things I've heard and from statistics about Louisville, that's not surprising.
thats what i was thinking too. thats why I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and CONSIDERING that the marijuana very well could have been laced. or she just could have been on it. i don't think her friends and family would ever come out and say if she was, so we'll probably never know!

My brother used it in elementary school, he recently switched to a different medication because he kept losing too much weight (he's now a 12 year old who's 5 feet tall and 67 pounds) so we switched to one that doesn't suppress his appetite so he could put more weight on.
I know. The amount of food my brother had to eat in elementary school was insane. He had protein shakes WITH his breakfast, my parents bought him whole milk while the rest of us drank skim, and he was still really skinny. They took him off of it eventually too. I wasn't saying people don't take it to lose weight, but it's probably split 50-50 using it for weight loss vs focusing. It's common for both.

THIS. I lost 40 pounds when I started taking my ADHD medication. I take vyvanse (its prescribed just to clarify), which is pretty much the same thing. People at school BEG for you to sell them some of your medication, one kid was so desperate he offered to give me $100 for one pill. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to sell it because basically if you mix any ADHD medication with anything it's just not good news, and kids are idiots and don't pay attention and I'm not going to be responsible-plus, if I sell a pill than thats one less that I have. Oh, and it's pretty illegal. It just amazes me what people do and talk about culture shock coming to college where drugs are common and so is drinking every night. My high school was pretty bad, too-actually, my entire town. It's super common for girls who are FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL to think they're pregnant and faking pregnancies to get a guy to stay with you is actually common- I'm embarrassed for them honestly. I've never been a partier and I can honestly say I will never be one. I'm always the designated driver/mom if I end up going somewhere with my friends. People do acid, smoke everything they can get their hands on, mix alcohol with deadly drugs, and drinking and driving is also more common than most people would like to know. It's kind of surprising to be honest. Not that you can bust every drug dealer or every parent that is buying their underage children alcohol, but I personally feel like this goes on way too often and people just turn the other cheek, it's sad that a tragedy has to happen for people to realize whats really going on with our generation.
Sad that 13 and 14-year-old girls are having unprotected sex and are stupid enough to think that trapping a guy will make him stay... where is their self-esteem? No wonder Maury Povich's show is thriving... SMH those are the people who end up as train wrecks.

Back