All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes. If there is going to be a divide, it has to be somewhere. While our gym of 119 might seem massive compared to yours, it's a tiny little blip on the big-gym radar.

When you think about it 125 athletes is not a small gym, that is more than 6 teams of 20 athletes(120), my CP gym has 60 athletes and has all three summit eligible teams going to the D1 summit and is the defending champion in one division. That being said with gyms like ICE having their smaller locations going D2 and the limited number of D2 bids available it was way harder to get a D2 bid then a D1.

There were a lot of D2 paid and at-large D2 bids given at one day comps. No D1 bids there except wild cards, so in my totally in experienced eye, it seems like they tried to target smaller comps with the majority of D2 bids. So at the bigger comps, they didn't seem to have as many as D1, but I think this was made up for in the one day comps. If you only attended bigger 2 day comps seeking D2 bids, then you probably were at a disadvantage.

Edited to add: don't hurt me, but D1 bids are Not easy to get. Especially for the youth teams competing with junior and senior teams. :/

There were a lot of D2 paid and at-large D2 bids given at one day comps. No D1 bids there except wild cards, so in my totally in experienced eye, it seems like they tried to target smaller comps with the majority of D2 bids. So at the bigger comps, they didn't seem to have as many as D1, but I think this was made up for in the one day comps. If you only attended bigger 2 day comps seeking D2 bids, then you probably were at a disadvantage.

Edited to add: don't hurt me, but D1 bids are Not easy to get. Especially for the youth teams competing with junior and senior teams. :/

I think they tried to give the D2 bids to competitions based on D2 gym attendance last year. But the introduction of the D2 Summit changed how many and what competitions D2 gyms attended. Our gym attends more one-day than two-day competitions. One team from our gym received a bid at a one-day competition and one team from our gym received a bid at a two-day. The two-day competition was completely different than when we had previously attended it. There were many gyms we had never seen before at the competition and, from what I could tell, only 2-3 large gyms in attendance.

I don't think that D1 bids are easy to get, I just think they are easier to get than D2. At least that has been the experience for our gym from last year to this year.

Here in DFW TX, we were lucky enough to have a competition that was only D2 gyms. All bids were for the D2 Summit. My daughter was a fill in for one of the teams. It was a really great atmosphere for these gyms because they weren't "crowded out" by all of the mega gyms. I hope that next season, they consider doing more of these types of competitions to give the small gyms a better chance at a bid.

Personally, I'm not a fan of D2 until Varsity makes a D2 paid bid equal to a D1 paid bid. I mean, really the only thing a D2 PAID bid gets is free registration - no different than US Finals Paid bid - and at least US Finals offers several choice of venue which helps in travel cost.

** Did not drink the Varsity Kool-Aid yet***

Personally, I'm not a fan of D2 until Varsity makes a D2 paid bid equal to a D1 paid bid. I mean, really the only thing a D2 PAID bid gets is free registration - no different than US Finals Paid bid - and at least US Finals offers several choice of venue which helps in travel cost.

In truth the D2 Summit is being run by American Cheer Power, it is even listed on American Cheer Powers event page(ACP also founded the NSPA).

I asked this on the other summit thread but I didn't really get an answer and this thread seems more popular so I thought I would ask sorry if that is not the right things to do please don't bite my head off I am still new to this forum.

Wildcard schedule came out and it has a section for international teams to exhibition anyone know what the deal with that is? Like does this mean they get an extra practice performance on the summit stage before they actually preform on Saturday?

Not directly to you, but I think that logistically it makes sense for D2 bids to have less monetary value. Competitions are making much less money from small gyms... They have fewer athletes to register...so financially it makes sense that they don't invest as much.

I asked this on the other summit thread but I didn't really get an answer and this thread seems more popular so I thought I would ask sorry if that is not the right things to do please don't bite my head off I am still new to this forum.

Wildcard schedule came out and it has a section for international teams to exhibition anyone know what the deal with that is? Like does this mean they get an extra practice performance on the summit stage before they actually preform on Saturday?

If they are exhibitioning then they are not competing. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Not directly to you, but I think that logistically it makes sense for D2 bids to have less monetary value. Competitions are making much less money from small gyms... They have fewer athletes to register...so financially it makes sense that they don't invest as much.

A large gym competing at a competition doesn't necessarily mean more money for the EP. I have attended many competitions where a large gym only brought a handful of their teams and there were far more small gym teams than large gym teams. I have also been to competitions where there were an overwhelming amount of teams from 2-3 large gyms, but those teams only made up half of the teams attending the competition. Also, small gyms can win D1 paid bids. Should EP's not award a D1 paid bid to a small gym because they only brought 5 teams to a competition while a large gym brought 10?

At the end of the day, only one team can win a paid bid, whether it is a D1 paid bid or a D2 paid bid. And every gym pays the same amount in entry fees for their athletes to attend a competition, regardless of whether they are from a small or large gym.

A large gym competing at a competition doesn't necessarily mean more money for the EP. I have attended many competitions where a large gym only brought a handful of their teams and there were far more small gym teams than large gym teams. I have also been to competitions where there were an overwhelming amount of teams from 2-3 large gyms, but those teams only made up half of the teams attending the competition. Also, small gyms can win D1 paid bids. Should EP's not award a D1 paid bid to a small gym because they only brought 5 teams to a competition while a large gym brought 10?

At the end of the day, only one team can win a paid bid, whether it is a D1 paid bid or a D2 paid bid. And every gym pays the same amount in entry fees for their athletes to attend a competition, regardless of whether they are from a small or large gym.
I completely understand what you are saying, just for the record, I also don't like that it isn't equitable. And I admittedly don't know what percentages of profits any EP makes from any gym. But sheer numbers of teams trying for bids gives large gyms an extra financial impact. If you know that 10+ teams from a large gym will be coming to your competitions to try to get to summit...even if not the same competition , you can shell out more $ to try and get them there. And the draw of a full paid summit bid seems much more likely to be a money maker. Small gyms and big gyms are both likely to show up to compete for them. Until D2 bids draw in the same amount of revenue, I'd expect them to hold less monetary value.

I haven't checked the bid declarations, so have no idea if summit bids require the same percentage of program attending a competition or EP sponsored event that Worlds bids do... But if that is the case, it would sure be another reason for D2 bids to create less revenue. ( If this is not in effect, I would be surprised if it did not become part of summit bid declarations in the future). Plus, there's the added benefit of advertising, where teams going to a larger competition are sponsored by your brand.

It is what is is, money isn't given if there isn't the expectation of profit.

I also would not be surprised if Disney didn't somehow give incentives to EP's for the $ they shell out each year. But that is pure speculation.

That being said, if they at least added rooming and/or transportation vouchers to D2 bids, I think it would be better. And I also have a suspicion that D2 will eventually move to Disney, which would simplify the process.

1st Class Athletics Onyx got D2 paid bid. Is that a guarantee to day 2 at Summit?
Unless the rules are different for D2 Summit, my daughter's team first got a Wild Card bid for the Summit and for that I know the Wild Card teams compete on Friday and 1st place moves right to finals on Sunday and 2nd place competes on Saturday. then my daughter's team won a paid bid but they still have to compete on Saturday and then hopefully make it into the finals. The only pass right to finals was the 1st place team from the Wild Card. I would think the rules are the same for Summit and D2 Summit. Good luck!

I completely understand what you are saying, just for the record, I also don't like that it isn't equitable. And I admittedly don't know what percentages of profits any EP makes from any gym. But sheer numbers of teams trying for bids gives large gyms an extra financial impact. If you know that 10+ teams from a large gym will be coming to your competitions to try to get to summit...even if not the same competition , you can shell out more $ to try and get them there. And the draw of a full paid summit bid seems much more likely to be a money maker. Small gyms and big gyms are both likely to show up to compete for them. Until D2 bids draw in the same amount of revenue, I'd expect them to hold less monetary value.

I haven't checked the bid declarations, so have no idea if summit bids require the same percentage of program attending a competition or EP sponsored event that Worlds bids do... But if that is the case, it would sure be another reason for D2 bids to create less revenue. ( If this is not in effect, I would be surprised if it did not become part of summit bid declarations in the future). Plus, there's the added benefit of advertising, where teams going to a larger competition are sponsored by your brand.

It is what is is, money isn't given if there isn't the expectation of profit.

I also would not be surprised if Disney didn't somehow give incentives to EP's for the $ they shell out each year. But that is pure speculation.

That being said, if they at least added rooming and/or transportation vouchers to D2 bids, I think it would be better. And I also have a suspicion that D2 will eventually move to Disney, which would simplify the process.

As I've said in other threads, Disney is not investing in a Cheer Specific venue to just host the current competitions as that is a big investment with no return. I full expect the D2 Summit to be just combined with the Summit and hosted at the same time, and expect other competitions such as NCA whose contract is up with Dallas after 2017 to be there.

As I've said in other threads, Disney is not investing in a Cheer Specific venue to just host the current competitions as that is a big investment with no return. I full expect the D2 Summit to be just combined with the Summit and hosted at the same time, and expect other competitions such as NCA whose contract is up with Dallas after 2017 to be there.

It was already released that they will have a cheer and dance venue by 2017

D2 summit is being put on by American cheer power. There are 42 j2 small teams attending the d2 summit. Looking back, it seems most got their bid from a American cheer power event.

Back