All-Star Survey: Hs Cheer V. All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you had to pick one would it be High Scool Cheer or All Star Cheer?

• Total voters

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Now that some states are recognizing school cheer as a sport there is concern that athletes might have to choose HS cheer or All Star Cheer? If you were only allowed to do one which one would you choose?

Interesting question. I think a lot of the choice depends on the kid's school. Ex: It's likely an easy choice for a girl whose school team is the equivalent of level 1, doesn't support an awesome football/bball team, etc. But if you attend a school like say, PCA in TX (just picked ag arbitrary well-known school cheer program), it's a harder choice.

My sideline time is invaluable with what I do now. I wouldn't trade my four years for anything, but I don't know if I could ever really choose between the two.

To me, this question is akin to asking whether you would choose field hockey over lacrosse. They're kind of similar sports, sort of? They're both played on fields with balls and sticks and the aim is to score points by getting the ball into the goal - samesies, right?

No.

High school cheer (even competitive high school cheer) isn't the same as all star. Athletes shouldn't be forced to choose.

Had I been an allstar cheerleader, I would have been stuck at a level 2 because of my tumbling.

Being a high school cheerleader, I got to do at least level four stunts.

I loved competing for my high school. I feel like allstar would have held me back.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Also, sideline experience is critical in terms of college cheer so it's a shame to see kids having to choose depending on the state they live in.

Honestly out of the two all stars was my favorite. Sideline was fun and I'm super happy it's now being recognized as a sport. But my all star years were the best ones!

I think all star created 4.2 level for those high school girls who can stunt level 4, but have level 2 tumbling. But, I agree high school cheer and all star cheer are two completely different experiences.

My CP is far too young to face this issue anytime soon, but from someone who did dance in HS and All-Star; I would have given up HS in a heartbeat. Nothing could have replaced the experience of AS.

Where we live, you can't do both. I hate that. There is nothing like representing your school on the field (mat) and there is nothing like all star cheer.

Another thing I liked about high school cheer over all star would be that I got to be on a team with a lot of diversity in skills. We had everywhere from back walkovers to fulls on the mat at the same time.

I guess I just like the diversity. Choreo is so much fun when you're not confined to the same skill set all around. I loved having the chance to learn about skills from the more advanced girls on my team. Everyone always had their chance to show off their cooler skills.

I've posted about it before but cheering high school was the BEST time of my life. My HS team was not the most competitive, and I go to school in VA so we are limited to VHSL rules but those girls and guys are some of my closest friends. We go from conditioning in the summer to basketball season and build an amazing bond. I did allstar and I did make great friends there but the HS team see's each other everyday and lives around each other so we spend so much time together. My school is a basketball school, so while I'd love to cheer at NCA, cheering in a sold out arena at a regional/state game is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I can get NCA in college or on an open team.

There are a lot of 'once in a lifetime' moments in allstar but you only get four years of high school, and allstar is always an option. I guess if you aren't going to miss huge high school moments, or if you don't care about missing them, then go ahead and do AS. I'm glad to have done both so I could say I've competed at a high level, but also say "I cheered on my school on TV, to a regional tittle, at a states, at the last game in our old building."

I've never done all star but I always wanted to so I might pick that.

But I loved high school cheer, representing your whole school at games but also competitions, the excitement of a close game, the swell of pride when your team beats a rival but also the trill of competitive cheer. It also prepared me very well for college cheer which is something I always knew I wanted to do. My college will take a girl with tight motions but no elite tumbling over a girl who cheered all star with amazing tumbling.

Who knows really. If I had cheered all star I might have a totally different response. I guess it depends what you want out of cheerleading, if you enjoy being on the sidelines or if you only live for competition and also where you want to take cheer in the future.

I don't think I could pick - and I'm glad I don't have to! I love both. If my HS cheer team was like it is this year all 4 years, I might pick HS. but every other year we had an awful coach, basic stunts, and nobody worked. I wouldn't want to do JUST that for 4 years. This year we're improving our stunts constantly, actually attending nationals, and working our butts off on SKILLS... So maybe

I honestly love both. But I feel like all-star helps with making connections for cheer-related jobs, and personally I would rather be on a high school team (I can't tumble, and all-star would hold me back). Plus, with school cheer (if administration doesn't make things difficult for me), I could really make cheer fun, competitive and affordable. Then again, I would be able to do the same with an all star gym. Plus, if you take lots of tumbling classes and cheer on a really good school team, you'll be set for college. On top of that, school cheerleaders (because of exposure) have a greater impact on the image of cheerleading than all-star cheerleaders. Plus, school cheer teams in some areas (like Florida) can compete in a non-tumbling division.

Last edited:
Back