All-Star Team Punishment?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Win as a team, lose as a team. If someone's late to practice, you're going to suffer as a team anyways. It's not so bad.
To put it into perspective, when I cheered, my coach and her boyfriend (now fiancé!) heavily did crossfit, and they even now own their own gym...so just imagine what happened to us when someone was late, someone rolled an eye, talked back...you don't want to imagine it. Coaches only want what's best for a team because they want to see you succeed. If conditioning will teach someone to not be late, so be it.
There are maybe 2-3 girls in our entire gym who drive themselves to practice, so how is conditioning going to stop kids from being late when mom's the one driving? Maybe mom should have to come in and do the conditioning? All conditioning does for lateness is further delay the start of practice, IMO. Our gym does weekly conditioning with a trainer, and early in the season at the end of practice. When we're in competition mode, practice is working on the meat of the routine.

I absolutely believe in there being consequences for your actions. My problem with punishment/consequences is when it is applied for circumstances totally out of an athletes control and everyone suffers.

Don't make the entire team, or anyone for that matter, run laps and do 50 push ups and sit ups when my 10 year old is 5 minutes late to your practice that starts at 5:00. She obviously doesn't drive (!) and I already have to leave the job - that pays the astromical bill for this sport - early on practice days to even get her there in the first place. There's several feet of snow on the ground and there's such a thing as rush hour traffic that can make a 5:00 start time a bit difficult on occasion. Let's just be reasonable!

your teammates should make a rule together to be at the gym 10 minutes before hand and be ready to take the mat as soon as the clock hits your practice time.

also, if you (any of your teammates) know that they are going to be late to practice that day, tell the coach in advance. call the gym before hand and tell them your stuck in traffic, youe car broke down, whatever . dont just come in late

We call parents 15 minutes after practice is supposed to start if they have not called/emailed us to let us know that their child will be late (or is contagious and will not be there) and they are still not there. If it's two weeks before a competition and we don't get an answer or a call back, the kid is immediately replaced for that competition. It's written in the handbook and contract that was signed at the start of the year. I had to do it a few weeks ago with one of my teams and it sucked for me and for the kids but a rule is a rule and if it's not enforced on my teams then I won't be taken seriously.

If a stunt hits the floor, the group does 25 push ups or something of the like and it increases by 25 each time it happens. The only punishments I do as a team are for talking or messing around/not taking practice seriously after they've been warned several times but at this point in the season I have to do much of that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case, the girls stay after school to go to the practice. So being late isn't an excuse. At 4h45 pm sharp, you have to bet ready to start. They finish school at 3 pm. You have to call the school to let us know if you can't be there.

Disrespect for the coach: out for the rest of the practice and meeting with the sport coordinator. Never happened.

The only conditionning I give is 1 minute per minute lost talking when I try to talk or a stunt that hits the floor. We reached 12 minutes of conditionning last practice and this is the most I ever gave. They do it after full outs... I write the minutes on the board. It sometimes is enough for them to behave!

I choose the exercices depending on what part of the routine was the worst. If it's jumps, it's conditionning for jumps, etc.

In my case, the girls stay after school to go to the practice. So being late isn't an excuse. At 4h45 pm sharp, you have to bet ready to start. They finish school at 3 pm. You have to call the school to let us know if you can't be there.

Disrespect for the coach: out for the rest of the practice and meeting with the sport coordinator. Never happened.

The only conditionning I give is 1 minute per minute lost talking when I try to talk or a stunt that hits the floor. We reached 12 minutes of conditionning last practice and this is the most I ever gave. They do it after full outs... I write the minutes on the board. It sometimes is enough for them to behave!

I choose the exercices depending on what part of the routine was the worst. If it's jumps, it's conditionning for jumps, etc.
I would definitely prefer this approach, rather than during practice.

I use demerits for things like lateness or unexcused absences with my HS kids. Once you reach a certain number, you're dismissed.

I absolutely believe in there being consequences for your actions. My problem with punishment/consequences is when it is applied for circumstances totally out of an athletes control and everyone suffers.

Don't make the entire team, or anyone for that matter, run laps and do 50 push ups and sit ups when my 10 year old is 5 minutes late to your practice that starts at 5:00. She obviously doesn't drive (!) and I already have to leave the job - that pays the astromical bill for this sport - early on practice days to even get her there in the first place. There's several feet of snow on the ground and there's such a thing as rush hour traffic that can make a 5:00 start time a bit difficult on occasion. Let's just be reasonable!
If it is a "once every couple of months" thing and not a "once a week" thing, it's not a big deal. When one person is late, it can affect the whole team. Also, once tardiness is acceptable, others begin to follow suit, and the idea of practice being important fades. As our coaches say, " You knew what time practice was when you signed up, along with your personal responsibilities, and the traffic patterns."

Crossfit? Isnt that really hard workout. Damn then. What did they do to you guys?
lots and lots of burpees, interesting things that I can't even describe and all kinds of squats, wall sits and pushup combos galore. We did many suicides with sets of burpees on every line. We ran a whole lot too.

There are maybe 2-3 girls in our entire gym who drive themselves to practice, so how is conditioning going to stop kids from being late when mom's the one driving? Maybe mom should have to come in and do the conditioning? All conditioning does for lateness is further delay the start of practice, IMO. Our gym does weekly conditioning with a trainer, and early in the season at the end of practice. When we're in competition mode, practice is working on the meat of the routine.
I can understand where you're coming from. My weekend practices were long Sunday hours and practices on weekdays never began before 6, and that was normally tumbling class (which you fit into your own schedule whenever you/your parents could get you there once or twice a week), so it was normally just 7-9 practice. Parent jobs do interfere, and that's understandable. As long as someone notified our coach that we would be late, it would be fine. But many times it was a case of the parent not being dedicated/not taking it seriously, and our coaches couldn't handle that. I think that's the issue.
And IMO I think a team should continuously condition throughout the year, regardless of it being punishment or not. It's like stretching; you need to do it to keep up with it. Whether that means setting a few minutes at the end of practice to condition a little or assigning stuff outside of practice, that's still an aspect that should be practiced to prepare athletes' endurance. Sure, practice is for working on the 'meat', but if you don't have the stamina to do so, how will you have the stamina to do so in a competition? just food for thought.

I can understand where you're coming from. My weekend practices were long Sunday hours and practices on weekdays never began before 6, and that was normally tumbling class (which you fit into your own schedule whenever you/your parents could get you there once or twice a week), so it was normally just 7-9 practice. Parent jobs do interfere, and that's understandable. As long as someone notified our coach that we would be late, it would be fine. But many times it was a case of the parent not being dedicated/not taking it seriously, and our coaches couldn't handle that. I think that's the issue.
Exactly. There is the "I'm sorry, there's a massive accident and I'm going to be late" excuse. Then there's the "I'm sorry, I know my job doesn't let me off before 5 PM and I don't even look for a different ride for my child." I had quite a few parents on my team that thought "on time" was 15 minutes after practice started. I don't care that your boss keeps you late. You put your child in this activity, it's your job to find someone who can get them to practice on time.

ETA: What frustrates me even more is that I have had parents that go above and beyond to get their kids to practice. They've hired drivers, sent their kid with another parent, called their 80 year old grandma, etc. etc.

And IMO I think a team should continuously condition throughout the year, regardless of it being punishment or not. It's like stretching; you need to do it to keep up with it. Whether that means setting a few minutes at the end of practice to condition a little or assigning stuff outside of practice, that's still an aspect that should be practiced to prepare athletes' endurance. Sure, practice is for working on the 'meat', but if you don't have the stamina to do so, how will you have the stamina to do so in a competition? just food for thought.

Agreed, that's why they have dedicated weekly conditioning. It's just more in the pre-season.

This is where I see huge differences in parents/kids and commitment level. I have seen kids that have had a parent going through chemo or drive a couple hours to and from practice and they are never late, nor do they miss practices. On the other hand, I have seen kids that live 10 minutes away be 20 minutes late, no call and no effort to ask another team mate if they can get a ride. I know there are occasional circumstances that can't be prevented but, when it is a different athlete every practice, those delays over time add up to much more than 15 minutes of conditioning to get their point across. Conditioning isn't pleasant but, it builds endurance, it also, may provide the incentive to those parents and kids that feel they have no other options, to find some.

At our gym, only the athletes who are late have to condition after practice. It's the same kids who have to condition every practice. I feel sorry for them, because they are six. It's out of their control I'm sure. We live closer to the gym, but it's CP's responsibility to watch the clock and be completely ready by the time we need to leave. We plan to get there 5-10 minutes early, and we have absolutely no traffic, but I am crazy about not being late to things.

Our (large, well known) gym is super inconsistent on this subject. Last year our team conditioned for people being late, no practice wear, stunts falling, among other reasons. The girls didn't like it but they were in awesome shape, their skills were sharp and they really encouraged each other. This year, nothing. Girls miss without texting or emailing and the coaches joke about it. No practice wear, no problem. Back talk the coach, walk off the floor, nothing happens. Can't make it to a comp? Ok, we'll work it out. It is ridiculous and the whole team suffers.

Back