All-Star Teams Only Going To Worlds On Paid Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There is a team from our old gym that has an AL bid to worlds. They placed 4oth something at NCA and have been on the BIG struggle bus all year. They are currently flooding Facebook and Instagram with their GoFundMe page to help them get to worlds. I know the kids want the experience but somehow it just makes me feel bad for them since realistically I don't see them making it past day one. And as a parent I just don't know how I would feel about asking for money just to go for the experience since to me basically that's all this trip would be. When does a gym just cut their losses and say it just wasn't our year and start planning for hopefully a bigger and better season the next year?

Just a thought - While everyone may be "trashing" those that go to worlds on a AL bid, money they pay the EPs sure helps pay the cost for paid teams. In other words, if ONLY those who expect to get paid bids go to the competitions offering bids the EPs wouldn't be signing those Paid Bid checks too quickly. Be careful what you wish for.

How many AL'es are given out for every paid? I thought most of the money for paid bids was made off of the entry fees of the competition giving out the bid?

There is a team from our old gym that has an AL bid to worlds. They placed 4oth something at NCA and have been on the BIG struggle bus all year. They are currently flooding Facebook and Instagram with their GoFundMe page to help them get to worlds. I know the kids want the experience but somehow it just makes me feel bad for them since realistically I don't see them making it past day one. And as a parent I just don't know how I would feel about asking for money just to go for the experience since to me basically that's all this trip would be. When does a gym just cut their losses and say it just wasn't our year and start planning for hopefully a bigger and better season the next year?

For what it's worth, most full paid bid winners won't make it past one day of competition either. Yes, they get to skip prelims, but only top 10 move to finals. Between the 35 FP/PP bid winners in Small Coed and the 10 that will move from prelims, less than 25% of those 40+ teams will make finals.

For what it's worth, most full paid bid winners won't make it past one day of competition either. Yes, they get to skip prelims, but only top 10 move to finals. Between the 35 FP/PP bid winners in Small Coed and the 10 that will move from prelims, less than 25% of those 40+ teams will make finals.

Lots of money on the table (or least the appearance as such) - and it is very trying as a parent of child who's team has a full paid bid - because of the expectation. It is still one and done. That is a whole lot experience with little reward.

Just the ability to say "we went to worlds" looks good on websites and attracts new athletes who aren't smart enough to look up the results to see that the team didn't do well at all once there.

Especially with comparative scoring - or whatever they will be used this year.
Worlds scoresheet has been comparative. That's not a change
I agree it's hard for an at large team to win. There's an advantage of going straight to semis for the paid bid recipients, then the al teams that do make it to semis, go first before the paids in semis

Pretty obvious who's favored to make it all the way. Might as well use a Scarlett letter
It's better than a few years ago (actually I guess it's like 7 years or so ago) when paids and partials in ALL divisions only had to mark their routine Day 1...they were guaranteed finals.

I thought it was bad sportsmanship because I didn't understand very well.. Now i agree that I was wrong. I just got vibes that people are just sore losers?? Idk but it does make sense of why teams don't go when getting a bid.

honestly, for some gyms, it really is for 'the experience'. Some people may not understand it, but not everybody gets the chance to go every year. Teams that get full paid bids normally go every year, so it's not as much about 'the experience' as it may be for a smaller, lesser known gym down the street.

Worlds scoresheet has been comparative. That's not a change

It's better than a few years ago (actually I guess it's like 7 years or so ago) when paids and partials in ALL divisions only had to mark their routine Day 1...they were guaranteed finals.

And here I thought we'd had no improvements. Haha I kid

How fun to watch teams mark their routines. Again, I jest

And here I thought we'd had no improvements. Haha I kid

How fun to watch teams mark their routines. Again, I jest
It's funny...but I actually miss it, only cause it was hysterical. Picture WCSS in sports bras and shorts, throwing tumbling to tucks and marking their stunts etc, followed by an AL team fighting for their life. So weird. 2007 was the last year of that. Starting the following year, everyone competed Day 1.

It's funny...but I actually miss it, only cause it was hysterical. Picture WCSS in sports bras and shorts, throwing tumbling to tucks and marking their stunts etc, followed by an AL team fighting for their life. So weird. 2007 was the last year of that. Starting the following year, everyone competed Day 1.

Haha it would be kinda hilarious, I like the everyone competes day 1 era

Wouldn't all large senior teams make the finals this year if they just marked their routine during the semi-finals? I mean, it'd mess up the standings and performance order for the finals, but they would all still make it through, right? Or is there a rule that states you must compete the full routine?

Wouldn't all large senior teams make the finals this year if they just marked their routine during the semi-finals? I mean, it'd mess up the standings and performance order for the finals, but they would all still make it through, right? Or is there a rule that states you must compete the full routine?
They could probably mark it, because the division is guaranteed Finals.

Back