All-Star The Current State Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We don't do expensive practice wear. I don't even require athletes to buy a certain shoe as long as they're wearing a white cheer shoe. I've cut every corner possible without completely cutting out OUR tuition.

None of our families get spray tans for the kids (I think 3 of them did it before D2 Summit), and there is no Nike Pro fashion show happening down the tumble track. We keep it as simple as we can without going full on rec league cheer. Our uniform is around 300 for 4 pieces and one is a sports bra that they can wear with plain black shorts for practices or exhibitions.

We don't require backpacks, warm ups, expensive bows or expensive make up. We don't travel extensively although we do keep one on the schedule every year to keep things "fun". We know we are lucky to have good competitions nearby. I have many coaching friends around the country that do NOT have the option of non travel teams.

I wish I could make one non travel full year team but I need to just field teams at this point. All Star Prep has done well for us and we will continue to build this up. Half price uniform, half the practice time so half the tuition, half the competitions and they're all one day locals so half the costs of events.....this is what all star SHOULD have been to begin with. But the beast has been unleashed and there is no taming it now.

I havent been in allstars since 2008, but im so glad i aged out when i did. the fact that kids are basically forced to buy new practice wear every year, and programs now like to add a new uniform every other season, plus on top of all these new special competitions being developed every other year, i cant imagine what a whole season of allstar cheer cost now, especially for level 5 kids.

in all my years the only time i got a new uniform is when i leveled up to level 5. and the only big competitions back then was NCA, worlds and UCA (which i dont think the uca comp was even held at disney back in those years... i could be wrong)

i personally would have loved to stay in it for a few more years, i think the way worlds has blown up would be exciting to compete in compared to how it was then. But my god, the amount of traveling comps kids do now i wouldnt be able to handle. I dont know how these kids keep up with school with all the traveling, especially when most of its done towards the end of the school year.

im not surprised with the fact that ive seen alot of these kids on high profile teams slowly transition to smaller programs to finish out their allstar years. The cost and travel im sure after so many years starts to wear thin and burns them out.

The parents on this board have been crystal clear about this subject for more than two years, so I'm shaking my head a little that this is just starting to be a topic of conversation among coaches/gym owners (no disrespect intended). I have said several times that I am maxed out and am counting down to when my kids are done, and it makes me angry for two reasons: 1. my kids get so much out of competitive cheer. I could write pages on all of the positives. They love their gyms - the issue is not really with the gyms themselves. 2. I feel the amount of money I pay to my kids' gym directly is very reasonable. They are not the ones making the huge (and often tax-free) profits, and they are the ones stuck in the middle with what seems like from a parent perspective little to no support from their governing body. The EPs and related parties ;) are where 80% of the money I spend on cheer is going. They are the ones dictating the direction of this industry. They are the ones who ultimately have the control, and this will not change unless the majority of the big player gyms get together and say enough, and I just don't see that happening. The unspoken rule is if you don't go to the big name competitions you will have a very hard time being competitive, so what are gyms to do? They need their teams to travel and have parents pay the exorbitant prices to attend these competitions, which prices parents out which hurts their bottom line. And with parents currently involved in the industry maxed out, I can assure you they are discouraging parents of young children from getting involved in the industry, so gyms are not only losing current athletes, but they are gaining fewer new athletes as well. The economy is quite good right now, and parents are still maxed out. An economic downturn would likely be devastating to all star gyms. It will be very interesting to see where this industry will be in 5 years.

My long term goal after starting my career as an engineer is to start a "Non-Profit" gym, where all money coming in pays a decent wage to employees, and drives down the cost for the families. Tuition would be average to the industry and would still go towards buying equipment and keeping the heat and lights on and everything, but anything extra goes to helping to pay for comp fees, hotels, uniforms. I don't have the logistics all figured out, but it makes sense in my head.

The parents on this board have been crystal clear about this subject for more than two years, so I'm shaking my head a little that this is just starting to be a topic of conversation among coaches/gym owners (no disrespect intended).
No disrespect taken. It's something many of us have noted for a few years, but as it wasn't an issue we were dealing with, let it go. I'll admit, where I am, the cost factor didn't really seem to have any effect on the industry until the last year or so, and that may be why I overlooked what other areas/regions were dealing with. In the last year or so, numbers up here have plummeted. Sure some gyms have grown, but they aren't taking in new to the sport athletes. They're getting athletes leaving prior gyms. As a whole, I've seen participation numbers drop, and costs significantly rise. There are several people on the board that I was talking to when several high profile events released their entry fees. I was actually angry and shocked at how much they were charging. For what? I know that is what started this whole conversation with me. Yes, over the last 2 years or so, I've had conversations here and there about families being priced out, but this past season leading into this one was a slap in the face.

Can gyms lower their costs? Absolutely. But, there are some costs that we have no control over. Those are the costs that I'm astounded at.

The parents on this board have been crystal clear about this subject for more than two years, so I'm shaking my head a little that this is just starting to be a topic of conversation among coaches/gym owners (no disrespect intended). I have said several times that I am maxed out and am counting down to when my kids are done, and it makes me angry for two reasons: 1. my kids get so much out of competitive cheer. I could write pages on all of the positives. They love their gyms - the issue is not really with the gyms themselves. 2. I feel the amount of money I pay to my kids' gym directly is very reasonable. They are not the ones making the huge (and often tax-free) profits, and they are the ones stuck in the middle with what seems like from a parent perspective little to no support from their governing body. The EPs and related parties ;) are where 80% of the money I spend on cheer is going. They are the ones dictating the direction of this industry. They are the ones who ultimately have the control, and this will not change unless the majority of the big player gyms get together and say enough, and I just don't see that happening. The unspoken rule is if you don't go to the big name competitions you will have a very hard time being competitive, so what are gyms to do? They need their teams to travel and have parents pay the exorbitant prices to attend these competitions, which prices parents out which hurts their bottom line. And with parents currently involved in the industry maxed out, I can assure you they are discouraging parents of young children from getting involved in the industry, so gyms are not only losing current athletes, but they are gaining fewer new athletes as well. The economy is quite good right now, and parents are still maxed out. An economic downturn would likely be devastating to all star gyms. It will be very interesting to see where this industry will be in 5 years.

All of this. I wish my money could help my daughter's gym grow and succeed, but my cheer budget (plus some!) is being diverted elsewhere at an increasingly alarming pace.

@NJ Coach is correct. New athletes are what is dwindling and that's the scary thing.

I have personally been dealing with this issue for several years and I've watched my numbers steadily decline over the last 3 years when we used to hold steady.

That was my whole point about the post with the numbers needed for fielding multiple teams. We have to continuously bring in NEW athletes not just recycle and reuse our current ones. But all star cheer is bass ackwards in that we are just now introducing all star prep to help build it up. We should have ALL new athletes begin as all star prep and save the more elite and expensive sport for those that are truly hardcore. Those that are willing and able to devote all the time and money needed for the training and travel.

Instead we now have gyms, who are also businesses opened by professionals trying to make a living doing what they're good at, eating the costs on their end just so they can keep customers. So some are literally paying people with scholarships to cheer for them so they can field lots and lots of large teams.

All of this. I wish my money could help my daughter's gym grow and succeed, but my cheer budget (plus some!) is being diverted elsewhere at an increasingly alarming pace.
It's so true! I really am happy with what my kids gyms are doing! But here I am at work after spending 8.5 hours last night at my "cheer fundraising" job - getting home at 1:30am after also working my real job. It is the only way I am able to keep my kid in it, but it is exhausting and infuriating because the majority of the money I spend isn't going where it should.

By the way, on top of those entry fees, the parents are being charged $40 or more admission and expected to arrive 3 hours early for their seats.
Now that there is nearly a monopoly on event production and uniforms/practice wear I don't see how the prices will be driven down.

@NJ Coach is correct. New athletes are what is dwindling and that's the scary thing.

I have personally been dealing with this issue for several years and I've watched my numbers steadily decline over the last 3 years when we used to hold steady.

That was my whole point about the post with the numbers needed for fielding multiple teams. We have to continuously bring in NEW athletes not just recycle and reuse our current ones. But all star cheer is bass ackwards in that we are just now introducing all star prep to help build it up. We should have ALL new athletes begin as all star prep and save the more elite and expensive sport for those that are truly hardcore. Those that are willing and able to devote all the time and money needed for the training and travel.

Instead we now have gyms, who are also businesses opened by professionals trying to make a living doing what they're good at, eating the costs on their end just so they can keep customers. So some are literally paying people with scholarships to cheer for them so they can field lots and lots of large teams.
Sorry for the double post. I am so hot on this subject because I really do feel for the gyms! I have seen numbers dwindle for the last few years. I remember when the mini and youth divisions had at least 10 in each division, particularly levels 1 and 2. You don't see that nearly as much now, and crossovers are far more prevalent than in years past. I mentioned it in an earlier post - I discourage new parents from getting their kids involved - I don't even have to outright say anything "negative". I just explain what is involved and how much it costs and the interest disappears. Everyone knows word of mouth is your biggest advertiser. The numbers speak for themselves, and it is unfortunate.

It's so true! I really am happy with what my kids gyms are doing! But here I am at work after spending 8.5 hours last night at my "cheer fundraising" job - getting home at 1:30am after also working my real job. It is the only way I am able to keep my kid in it, but it is exhausting and infuriating because the majority of the money I spend isn't going where it should.

This is the first year where I've seen a huge influx of actual cheerleaders participate in concessions fundraising (not that kids shouldn't be helping, but A LOT more suddenly participating is shocking to me). It shows me that families who were surviving just fine previously are now feeling the squeeze.

By the way, on top of those entry fees, the parents are being charged $40 or more admission and expected to arrive 3 hours early for their seats.
Now that there is nearly a monopoly on event production and uniforms/practice wear I don't see how the prices will be driven down.
and try getting a receipt for that $40 cash only entry.......

I can see why All Star cheer is not attracting new families. CP is 11 and has being doing AS Cheer since she was 3. It was MUCH cheaper when we started. We make tremendous sacrifices to allow her to do this. If she didn't love it as much as she does there is no way we could justify it. We are at a big gym where warm ups are not required, we can wear which even sneaker we want. The gym fee is affordable. What is not is comp fees, STP and travel. If I was walking into this sport as a newbie there is no way on gods green earth I would agree to pay that much money for cheerleading.

So much yes to everything y'all have written. We have two years left and I'm hoping my daughter will choose high school year her senior year instead so then we only have one year left. I love this sport, my daughter loves this sport, but the costs are too much.

I'll admit, I've been one of those parents all-in for all the flash and merchandise and travel. But over the last two seasons, I've been burned out and overbudget. I was so excited to finally get to go to the Summit. All I can say is, been there, done that, didn't even bother buying the tshirt because they were too expensive! I don't ever need to go back.

I think it's going to need to start with the parents. We are the ones with the wallets. Without us, none of this exists. And since the only way we will be listened to is by essentially not joining up, I think the dwindling numbers in the sport is going to eventually be the nail in the coffin unless something changes.

THIS !!! On top of that, if you have other obligations or just happen not to arrive 3 hours early, the tickets may be sold out or you may get locked outside of the venue because it has reached capacity. As a result, you miss your child's performance. No refunding $50 will not make it better considering the fact that parents pay tuition, comp fees, spectator fees, flights, hotels, food, etc.

Definitely a monopoly.. These cash cows do not care one bit. I also don't see how the prices will be driven down.

Back