All-Star The Current State Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Interesting that things are like this in the US, as I've found it to be the opposite in Canada. Our school programs are doing great, and a lot of my parents have said it's specifically because they can't afford all-star cheer. I run my school program for about $200 per athlete a year. Shoes are extra if they need them, but we don't require cheer shoes for most. It probably helps that schools are on a dead floor here (unless they are at an all-star competition) and coaches are not paid. They are all volunteer, cutting down on some costs. That said, I've found competitions here are getting more and more expensive, especially for school teams. It's almost like they're hiking school fees to make up for the money being paid out for Worlds bids, as these are the only competitions that are hiking school prices.

Two hundred dollars a year is incredible! The US school floors are dead floors, as well. School coaches are paid but, very little. The more competitive and wealthier schools use AS gyms for additional coaching when available. My kids school runs $800 for sideline only and $1200 for competition/ sideline and they are also required to fundraise. Parents across the board are upset because, many of them are being priced out of school sports and band. Our state association (GHSA) holds a competition on October 8th, which runs $175 per athlete (not included in the $1200) and has no affiliation with World's or Varsity.

ETA: I reread the contract and it must be per TEAM and not athlete. It states "entry fee $175" and I automatically assumed per athlete.

Last edited:
Hey, I confessed! At least I'm honest. lol

Seriously, I know that's a BIG part of what drives the expense, the parents. We want all the stuff and then complain when it's so expensive. <hangs head in shame>

ETA: Nvmd I misunderstood this post...

THIS !!! On top of that, if you have other obligations or just happen not to arrive 3 hours early, the tickets may be sold out or you may get locked outside of the venue because it has reached capacity. As a result, you miss your child's performance. No refunding $50 will not make it better considering the fact that parents pay tuition, comp fees, spectator fees, flights, hotels, food, etc.

Definitely a monopoly.. These cash cows do not care one bit. I also don't see how the prices will be driven down.

The additional admission fee for the parents to these events is just UNNECESSARY... Period. The CP fee should include at least one admission for a parent or guardian. Besides having already paid a car note to even be there. Over 90% of these kids are MINOR CHILDREN.... a parent/adult/guardian or chaperone would have to bring the CP to the event. No Vaseline at all.

I've cheered on my open team for 6 years and I'm helping to coach this year. The two of us coaching aren't getting paid and we're trying to keep costs down as much as possible - 3 comps, new uniforms this year because we have no choice, a music and choreo fee.

But for 3 worlds bid competitions (and we always register at the last minute so we can drop the comp if we need to) we're looking at over $500. We used to have 3 bid comps in New England where you could avoid hotel costs if you wanted, but now we have to go to Atlantic City and we added Ocean City as one of our comps because with the two events left we're probably not going to get a bid - and Providence is too early in the bid season for our open team to even be competitive for one. It's a waste of money even though it's about 40 minutes from the gym.

We don't even want fancy uniforms, but companies aren't even offering simple uniforms without cutouts or rhinestones or anything. We can't get them below $200 - for a uniform we wear maybe 3 times a year. It's insane and we only do the minimum amount possible, but the costs have gone up so much.

What about spiritfest? We r going to the ones you mentioned plus Dallas and Hartford. Too much $$!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Two hundred dollars a year is incredible! The US school floors are dead floors, as well. School coaches are paid but, very little. The more competitive and wealthier schools use AS gyms for additional coaching when available. My kids school runs $800 for sideline only and $1200 for competition/ sideline and they are also required to fundraise. Parents across the board are upset because, many of them are being priced out of school sports and band. Our state association (GHSA) holds a competition on October 8th, which runs $175 per athlete (not included in the $1200) and has no affiliation with World's or Varsity.

Your school doesn't pay for the cheerleaders to attend State???

And that is a really steep entry fee.

What about spiritfest? We r going to the ones you mentioned plus Dallas and Hartford. Too much $$!

Were going to spirit fest. That's the third. But if we have to go to ocean city that's a lot more money for travel. Fortunately were not going to Dallas but others in our gym are.

Spirit Cheer used to be in Hartford as well. Hartford is a 2hr drive, but you could do it without a hotel if you wanted. But now they're in AC.

Your school doesn't pay for the cheerleaders to attend State???

And that is a really steep entry fee.

@WinstonsGirl

Geez, it's a good thing I don't read contracts for a living. I reread it and it is for regionals held at our HS by the GHSA and it is per TEAM not athlete. ....never mind.:oops:

It seems to be the opposite in BC, at least for the previous season. My old high school went from a large JV team and a large co-ed team to a single small all girl team. I don't really remember what we did for fundraising, apart from occasionally being extras on tv shows/movies that filmed around here. It also helped that the school owned the uniforms, so we only had to pay a small rental fee. And for all-stars, we could rent (which meant sharing with another girl) the uniform which made it a little less expensive.
I miss cheer, but I also enjoy having food to eat, so looks like I won't be making a return. (Let's ignore my mouldy potato tumbling and that I don't drive...)

It's too bad that school cheer is declining in your area. Our school owns the uniforms too. I can't think of a school in my area where kids buy them, but all of our fundraising each year goes towards new uniforms, which we get about every 5 years or so.

You know, you could cheer if you didn't buy tickets to Hamilton every chance you get. ;)

You say that like gym owners are rolling around in the dough. They're not. Most are barely staying afloat.

And do you plan to run this gym in all of your spare time after work? I'm a software engineer and out of the house 10 hours a day. Good luck having enough time in your day to run a gym.

I know a couple who own a gym - she does most of the day to day work and he's a software engineer and helps coach when he can, but there's no way he could do it alone without her running them gym. And now you've got a stay at home spouse to support in addition to not making any money at your gym.
Well I do know that many gym owners do make money, even if it's not a lot... I'm just saying, one day I hope to make enough money so that philanthropy is possible. Even if it's not as owner, maybe as a sponsor, but I'd like to have a role in running a gym, even if it's only as help or a partial owner. I know that engineering is a full time job, but I know engineers who still have time for hobbies and passions.

I didn't mean to sound pretentious and I meant absolutely no ill will in my statement. I would just like to help others in the future.

The gyms have to make money, but the feeling of having to keep up with the gym down the street gets everyone in trouble.

You CAN get cheap uniforms in all star that have bling! I promise. I swear on my life. Some of my favorite uniforms are totally all star and come in under $200. You can't have rhinestone vomit on them, but you can fit in and still look amazing. I encourage people to shop around, a lot. You are not stuck with one company for practice wear, uniforms, comps, etc. You get samples and find what is the best balance of budget friendly but still quality. You take advantage of promotions when they happen. You can make it work.

My biggest frustration is that we complain about comp entry fees that used to be $25 and are now $95 per day but still attend. It won't change unless we change. There are IEPs that provide amazing events, but nobody bothers to try them. If you are stuck to Varsity because of a rebate, that's crazy. It's YOUR organization's money that you've paid, they are simply holding on to it for a few months. You can create your own rebate system in your gym and have the money in your hands right away. If you want to attend Varsity comps because they are the biggest and best (which they are) then say it, but I don't think it's fair to say to parents that's our only option just because you want the rebate.

The additional admission fee for the parents to these events is just UNNECESSARY... Period. The CP fee should include at least one admission for a parent or guardian. Besides having already paid a car note to even be there. Over 90% of these kids are MINOR CHILDREN.... a parent/adult/guardian or chaperone would have to bring the CP to the event. No Vaseline at all.

OMG THIS!

In the UK 2 years ago uniforms were around £60-70 with no varsity or rebel i sight now I find most uniforms are at the £100 mark minimum. Comp fees have gone up. Also 2 years ago shorts and a t shirt were acceptable practice wear now many require some shiny new kit.
I got priced out last season and was gutted but found another sport which was ballroom dance while just as expensive it is much easier to keep my costs down if I want to and here is why:
I chose where my costumes come from so I can easily save £400 pounds
If I cant afford coaching that week I just do a group class
I can chose whether to do a comp

I suppose it is easier that I am not in a team sport but flip I am most likely not coming back to cheer which is sad

Just gonna chime in on this a little bit. I discovered the world of Alllstar cheer my freshman year of High School when I was looking for our High School's state routine online and stumbled upon teams like Stingrays Orange and Senior Elite. I have participated in school cheer from 4th grade all the way to my current age of a senior in high school. Although I truly love the sideline experience and I have been blessed to compete for my school the last two years, I have always loved competing more than sideline cheer and for the last three years I have practically begged my parents to let me do allstar cheer instead of school cheer. I have offered to help supplement costs and I can drive myself but at the end of the day, it is simply too expensive for my family.

The thing is, this gym isnt even one of the gyms that has new uniforms every season and has 20 sets of practice wear. What has priced us out is the traveling and competition fees, and this gym isnt even attending the 'crown jewel' competitions. It's just super frustrating that I am senior age in cheer and I will most likely never get to have the all star experience due to money. And I know several other girls who I cheer with at school who are in the exact same boat.

Back