All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

stuff white people do: wonder how to define racism

Though I don't know that I agree 100% with everything in it, but it's a good explanation of what some people here are trying to get at.

Again, no. This "article" is actually just an essay or blog written by someone about what they think.

And while you may use the "sociological definition," that isn't actually required of everyone. Not everyone thinks that's accurate.

I guess I'm not explaining it well. But just because overall, across the US government, minorities don't hold all the power, does NOT mean they are never in a position of power to make laws or policies. The examples they gave are stupid. No one is talking about a white person being harassed or picked on as racism. I can't even find enough eye rolling emojis for this. (I mean they might be - but I'd say those of us in the philosophical discussion on here have agreed that having your feelings hurt is not racism)

The main problem lies in the colloquial definition offered. That is not, actually, the colloquial definition most people use. But if she used the one most people actually use, it would negate her point. In reality, I don't know anyone who defines racism as simply "prejudice against someone based on their skin color or ethnicity."

I've offered a much more thorough and realistic definition several times in this thread.

Example:
How is denying someone access to a "fair and equal public education" based on them being white NOT racist? When this policy is made by a predominantly "minority" (oxymoron) run city government? Denial of someone's basic right based on their race by a governmental organization is racist. Period.

I'm not talking about scholarships, TV stations, or anything else. I'm talking about a guaranteed right to public elementary school education. (to back up my side, this system was tossed 5 years ago, after several lawsuits, in favor of the equally racist, but more politically correctly named Tier system that we now use) When it happens to minorities it's racist, but since it's white children it's "fair?"

I'm sorry, but to say black people cannot be racist is ignorant, backwards-thinking, and, most of all, a cop out.

I get your point, but words mean things. "Anything of color" is not accurate because JJ Jackson was a VJ from the first day. And I'm pretty sure Beat It aired before Thriller.

Also American Bandstand had black people on the show by the early '60's and Soul Train didn't start till the early 70's. I was in elementary school then.

But your overall point is still accurate.
No ACEDAD, based on what I was told by friends who grew up and were teenagers in Philadelphia during that era, most who are now in their 60's remembered and told me how Mr. Clark was a nice man, but the network refused any Black teenagers on the program and there were absolutely no blacks on American Bandstand, until and after 'Soul Train and when they started losing their audience. When American Bandstand moved to California, that is when they made many major changes in their programming...

To be honest, I really not that sure about MTV and I am not sure which one of Michael Jackson's song was first shown, but I just know he was the first Black artist's video shown on that channel...

No ACEDAD, based on what I was told by friends who grew up and were teenagers in Philadelphia during that era, most who are now in their 60's remembered and told me how Mr. Clark was a nice man, but the network refused any Black teenagers on the program and there were absolutely no blacks on American Bandstand, until and after 'Soul Train and when they started losing their audience. When American Bandstand moved to California, that is when they made many major changes in their programming...

To be honest, I really not that sure about MTV and I am not sure which one of Michael Jackson's song was first shown, but I just know he was the first Black artist's video shown on that channel...

Billie jean

I didn't read most of any of this thread besides the first post and looked at the picture. People are too damn sensitive these days. Thicken up your skin a bit, people. Like i've always said, some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something.
and some people are not sensitive enough. If that makes sence

stuff white people do: wonder how to define racism

And an earlier article they quote:

stuff white people do: wonder where to start when they join the fight against racism

Though I don't know that I agree 100% with everything in it, but it's a good explanation of what some people here are trying to get at.

It also addresses with @HeresAThought didn't want to (and shouldn't have to) educate those who ask her to explain.

LOL. I went and looked at the link (and only skimmed admittedly) but honestly my first response to her was going to be "google it"...but then I decided to just leave it alone... in an effort to not have to indoctrinate and not turn this thread into what it became anyway.

All of these moot points. Nobody knows what its like to be anyone else of another minority group....or race....Everyone here are obvious know it alls, so there's nothing left for them to learn, so they just shoot down anyone else's post.

I wish this thread would just die.... like racism ;)

But anyway.... after reading about that boy in Missouri... I don't even what to bother with this thread anymore because it all just ...... A mess

So guys this was a fun thread huh?
te7y7y2a.jpg

80s theme anyone?

I hope you people that were around in the 80s don't get offended by her leg warmers. I was born in 88 so technically I wasn't old enough to remember the 80s so I don't count.

Wow, you are just a baby... My oldest child is born in '87... Yes, Jaylen definitely rocking the Flashdance look from the movie... 80's in its highest glory!
Yep, that was my best decade- total freeloader!

LOL. I went and looked at the link (and only skimmed admittedly) but honestly my first response to her was going to be "google it"...but then I decided to just leave it alone... in an effort to not have to indoctrinate and not turn this thread into what it became anyway.

All of these moot points. Nobody knows what its like to be anyone else of another minority group....or race....Everyone here are obvious know it alls, so there's nothing left for them to learn, so they just shoot down anyone else's post.

It's not a minority thing. No one knows what it's like to be anyone else of another race, period.

And I think your posts have been very indicative of your "I have nothing to learn" stance as well - so I'm not sure why you threw that in. You certainly have not been open to any other perspectives in this thread either.

I don't "know it all" - I know more than some people and less than others. But I've lived a lot of things that you haven't (as I'm sure you have as well - I'm not saying I know what it's like to be you). It's really frustrating when people assume that because I'm white I can't possibly understand anything.

Relating and understanding are two different things. I can't relate to your life and your struggles. But really... I can understand them.

Back