All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No.clue what pics you're talking about, i thought we were discussing performances

I am curious how old all our kids are from the people commenting in this thread.

Also, I'm young. I'm a month shy of 22 so this isn't coming from a "grown up" that is fed up with this generation's obsession with sexy. I don't have any children of my own but I have 53 beautiful and athletic children between the ages of 9 and 14 on the three teams I coach who have parents that trust me (and all of our other coaches) to give their children a routine that reflects their talents.

At 21, I have already decided my children will not cheer. Which is sad considering I'm a cheerleading coach, I cheered in college, and am on NCA staff. I love competitive (and game day) cheerleading but it is things like this that make me hate what it will likely become in the next ten years, and I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edited.

This sport has been around a long time...trust me, it is not NEEDED for flare and showmanship. I truly hope some of these things are just fads and trends that will fade out.

Last edited:
Also, I'm young. I'm a month shy of 22 so this isn't coming from a "grown up" that is fed up with this generation's obsession with sexy. I don't have any children of my own but I have 53 beautiful and athletic children between the ages of 9 and 14 on the three teams I coach who have parents that trust me (and all of our other coaches) to give their children a routine that reflects their talents.

At 21, I have already decided my children will not cheer. Which is sad considering I'm a cheerleading coach, I cheered in college, and am on NCA staff. I love competitive (and game day) cheerleading but it is things like this that make me hate what it will likely become in the next ten years, and I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly that's kind of where I am with my kids. My youngest decided to go back to diving and I'm a little relieved. It also hurts because back in 2004 I was the biggest cheerleader for All Star. Then I realized that no one is really interested in legitimizing the sport, including the industry itself. When more attention is placed on the uniforms, big hair, and can I make my 5 year old famous, then the actual execution of skills, how do you actually expect anyone outside of cheer to take it seriously?
If the "activity" (because I refuse to call it a sport anymore) is headed down the route of just being athletic pageantry, well that's not what I signed my kids up for.
@ASCheerMan if judges are truely tired of seeing this type of choreography, then STOP rewarding it. Institute deductions for "vulgar or inappropriate choreography" or at the very least the judges can make a note and give a warning. It is really not to hard to determine what is considered appropriate, if it can be seen in movies like Magic Mike and Showgirls...the your team should probably NOT being doing it.
And for the love of Pete, I wish the flyers doing this ridiculousness would think of their bases.

I am curious how old all our kids are from the people commenting in this thread.
I'm perplexed as to why this even matters, but I speculate that you're trying to establish some sort of correlation between a child's age and the parent's perception on inappropriateness. My CP will be 15 in July and is on a senior team; she's my baby. I also have 3 other children who do not cheer, aged 16, 20, and 22.

Will you clarify as to why you won't have your children cheer? Is it because of the choreography trends or because of the discussion regarding choreography trends?

Will you clarify as to why you won't have your children cheer? Is it because of the choreography trends or because of the discussion regarding choreography trends?

It is similar to what @cheermommaRN posted. I do not like the sexual choreography, coaches that place their needs over a child's safety (I used to cheer at a gym like this and I see it glorified all the time), the sandbagging, a thousand "national" competitions, or revealing uniforms. I could go on more but you get the idea. I am very unhappy that every parent, athlete, and coach believes they "deserve" to win. Not everyone wins, and not everyone should. That is more of a culture problem than a cheerleading one however.

Also, unclear rules make it hard for me to do my job. Comparative scoresheets have caused extremely questionable placements. I can't ever get a straight answer from a judge when I have a question about a score because they tell me that it is what is it and the inconsistency in their scores is not their problem.

Some of these things have been improved recently, but it seems that (to me) everyone wants to make cheerleading more legitimate until it requires buckling down on these things.

Last edited:
It is similar to what @cheermommaRN posted. I do not like the sexual choreography, coaches that place their needs over a child's safety (I used to cheer at a gym like this and I see it glorified all the time), the sandbagging, a thousand "national" competitions, or revealing uniforms. I could go on more but you get the idea. I am very unhappy that every parent, athlete, and coach believes they "deserve" to win. Not everyone wins, and not everyone should. That is more of a culture problem than a cheerleading one however.

Also, unclear rules make it hard for me to do my job. Competitive scoresheets have caused extremely questionable placements. I can't ever get a straight answer from a judge when I have a question about a score because they tell me that it is what is it and the inconsistency in their scores is not their problem.

Some of these things have been improved recently, but it seems that (to me) everyone wants to make cheerleading more legitimate until it requires buckling down on these things.

Do you feel the same about high-school and college cheer?

There's tons of ways to stand out without doing moves that some would consider inappropriate.
Like having proper stunting and tumbling technique. Lord knows that would be a striking contrast.

i posted this about a year and a half ago, so I'll just leave it here:

Yup. As much as I love SE, that thigh rub was NOT okay.

Honestly that's kind of where I am with my kids. My youngest decided to go back to diving and I'm a little relieved. It also hurts because back in 2004 I was the biggest cheerleader for All Star. Then I realized that no one is really interested in legitimizing the sport, including the industry itself. When more attention is placed on the uniforms, big hair, and can I make my 5 year old famous, then the actual execution of skills, how do you actually expect anyone outside of cheer to take it seriously?
If the "activity" (because I refuse to call it a sport anymore) is headed down the route of just being athletic pageantry, well that's not what I signed my kids up for.
@ASCheerMan if judges are truely tired of seeing this type of choreography, then STOP rewarding it. Institute deductions for "vulgar or inappropriate choreography" or at the very least the judges can make a note and give a warning. It is really not to hard to determine what is considered appropriate, if it can be seen in movies like Magic Mike and Showgirls...the your team should probably NOT being doing it.
And for the love of Pete, I wish the flyers doing this ridiculousness would think of their bases.
SLOW. FREAKING. CLAP.

Do you feel the same about high-school and college cheer?

Not to the same extent. I feel that as a whole, school cheerleading is better regulated than all star is. I think there are unqualified coaches in all types of cheerleading, but that is found in other youth sports as well.

I loved all star cheerleading when I cheered, and now I love coaching it because of the kids. I love NCA staff and I hate that I had to that this summer off and I look forward to returning next summer. I love NCA and have such a passion for what it means to me and our industry as a whole. NCA developed my passion for coaching and game day cheerleading.

I wish that we could, as an industry, commit to hard choices that will better the industry in the long run. Not just making choices to benefit large programs or small programs.

My friends think cheerleading is interesting, but they get confused by a team with a 10 year old and an 18 year old on it. They don't get why one child can be on three different teams of different levels. They don't understand why a level 5 team can drop to a level 3 team in the middle of the season to win. And I don't either. It is frustrating to constantly be fighting to find legitimacy for this sport only to see people fight to keep things the way they are because it is beneficial to them. This will eventually hinder the growth of cheerleading, which is extremely upsetting as some of the best times in my life are found with those I have met while involved in cheerleading.

Also, unclear rules make it hard for me to do my job. Competitive scoresheets have caused extremely questionable placements. I can't ever get a straight answer from a judge when I have a question about a score because they tell me that it is what is it and the inconsistency in their scores is not their problem.

I'm not sure who you are, but you are really well-spoken for you age. Props.

Back