All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't buy the argument that Worlds level athletes (or any other level, for that matter) add sass into their routines by rubbing their thighs, shaking their booties, etc in order to stand out from the other talented teams. When 7/10 teams are doing these exact same moves, you aren't original! There are 1,000s of ways to add sass to a routine without rubbing your thighs, calves, ankles, arms, face, whatever. How about everyone just stops rubbing their body parts? If you can't think of a way to add "sass" to your dance or stunt without rubbing some part of your body, then there is a bigger issue here that needs to be addressed.

Also, there are 12 year-olds on Worlds teams. There are 11 and 10 year-olds on Senior teams. 99% of athletes on Senior teams are minors. Let's stop teaching these kids to dance like they're in a club. And let's stop telling them that rubbing their thighs in a stunt is sassy. They don't need to dance like they are at Cotillion, but let's class things back up a little.

Then I realized that no one is really interested in legitimizing the sport, including the industry itself. When more attention is placed on the uniforms, big hair, and can I make my 5 year old famous, then the actual execution of skills, how do you actually expect anyone outside of cheer to take it seriously?
If the "activity" (because I refuse to call it a sport anymore) is headed down the route of just being athletic pageantry, well that's not what I signed my kids up for.
@ASCheerMan if judges are truely tired of seeing this type of choreography, then STOP rewarding it. Institute deductions for "vulgar or inappropriate choreography" or at the very least the judges can make a note and give a warning. It is really not to hard to determine what is considered appropriate, if it can be seen in movies like Magic Mike and Showgirls...the your team should probably NOT being doing it.
And for the love of Pete, I wish the flyers doing this ridiculousness would think of their bases.

Edited for length but agree 100%.

In my opinion, judges in all comp should start giving HUGE deduction to teams that do unnecessary thigh and body rubbing in their routine this season. 5 points of deduction are enough, I think lol

I'm 25- am I a grandma yet?

Are there 'more' important parts of this industry to focus on? Sure. I don't even think this needs much focus. Either A- We announce that we are taking a harder line in monitoring the appropriateness of choreography/music this year and will be deducting accordingly. Or B- We don't. My pet peeve stems from adding more rules and 'guidelines' that we never end up enforcing.

Yes. And I cannot STAND the "sexy hair tousle". These sex kitten moves aren't just inappropriate, they're boring. It seems every team has the same standard catalogue of fierce postures.
I think that there are two types of hair tousles:

Sassy/fierce: fast, moving the hands twice

Sexy: slow (and thus sultry), moving the hands twice (but often more)

If you think 'sassy' means 'rubbing-my-thighs-like-I'm putting-on lotion', or 'shakin-my-booty-like-I'm-in-a-nightclub', then you need more creativity and a better choreographer.

There are plenty of ways to be funky and cute without any rubbing or booty popping.
YES.

An area L5 team's center flyer in their pyramid did a "sexy" hair fluffing move and each comp I found it more annoying than fierce or alluring. The last routine I saw, I noticed the come-hither hair move wasn't performed. I thought, "Finally, the coach realized how inappropriate that looked!" Then I saw that the flyer had actually fallen. Be careful what you put up.

My CP did a one hand on hip and the other behind her head...not actually fluffing her hair but sorta pushing her pony poof up a little with an exaggerated wink. It was cute I thought. One time she had her hand on her hip and the other reached out and and did a sweeping Vanna-ish gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sick of all this too and I have to put up with it because my coach choreographs routines like this. Good thing I'm not a natural dancer because slut drops turn into "lose your balance and fall flat on my arse" drops and twerking is just awkward butt shuffling. Needless to say it was a form of protest and I was removed from doing those moves. Win win on my part as I don't look like something out of a strip club and I get to keep my morality intact.

I'm 25- am I a grandma yet?

Are there 'more' important parts of this industry to focus on? Sure. I don't even think this needs much focus. Either A- We announce that we are taking a harder line in monitoring the appropriateness of choreography/music this year and will be deducting accordingly. Or B- We don't. My pet peeve stems from adding more rules and 'guidelines' that we never end up enforcing.

I don't think adding more guidelines is on the table. We already have guidelines that acknowledge inappropriate choreography. That responsibility actually falls into the hands of the USASF Safety Judge.

thanks for everyone's feedback. It's been very insightful to read everyone's opinions.

I don't think adding more guidelines is on the table. We already have guidelines that acknowledge inappropriate choreography. That responsibility actually falls into the hands of the USASF Safety Judge.

thanks for everyone's feedback. It's been very insightful to read everyone's opinions.
That's one way of putting it :p

But hey- you can always count on us for honesty ;)

i posted this about a year and a half ago, so I'll just leave it here:

This is literally the stunt that was in my mind the entire time I've been reading this thread! I still am confused on this move, and why anyone thinks it's anything other than gross.
When I see competitive dancers, I think how nice that cheer is so much more conservative in dress, make up and moves!
Lol yes! This year has been my first foray into the competitive dance world, and I've had several heart attacks at competitions this season. I'm pretty open minded, but watching 13 year olds dance to Partition, with choreography that definitely suits the lyrics to Partition [emoji33] , about killed me.

I guess i just dont see how rubbing ones leg is sexual. There isnt anything about rubbing on a leg that i find sexual.

Different prespectives for diff people.
I don't know how you can watch someone wipe their hand down their inner thigh and not think of something inappropriate. How is that sassy? I can see a hair flip as sassy, but I've never in my life been feeling sassy and thought, "Oh, I think I'll wipe my inner thigh with my hand. That'll definitely show people I am in 'fierce mode'!"

I am curious how old all our kids are from the people commenting in this thread.
Mine are 13 and 20.
18 and 14. Both CPs on a senior team.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but a rather competitive senior team, no? [emoji12] (since people are saying that these moves help a team be competitive... I think it does matter that your cp's team is definitely holding their own without the thigh rubbing)

This is one of our teams (s4) I think the center girl at end of the pyramid is fierce, no thigh rubbing. But cute and attention getting... And I think it's definitely sassy. Not someone rubbing their inner thigh as that's not cute.

In the dance they dance to bend and snap (legally blonde) and they do a move where they bend over and come up their leg. I don't see it as gross as the stunt video because of cea because the stunt video comes off way more inappropriate but I could see how others think it's inappropriate all though it's the opposite of some of the suggested items here.

I do feel that if they try to limit it that .. They would have to limit all or nothing at all because some just don't come off that way to others. So I'm not sure I want to see it banned but I could do without some of the ones I've seen for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back