All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sad that he has to ask because seeing the routines from this past season (or the one before that) would have anyone thinking that many of us are okay with it.
I should have multi-quoted. He didn't HAVE to ask. I am thrilled that he did though. When is the last time an EP head or a representative from USASF ever sought public feedback?! I think it is a great thing!

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

We don't normally need to seek it. The public isn't shy about giving it to us.
Agreed, but there is a difference in seeking information versus receiving it unsolicited.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

Shaking my head at the fact a leader in this industry has to ask us parents, coaches, fans, and owners if we feel it's inappropriate for our 3-18 year old children to rub themselves while performing for us.

I had a lot of big life changes this past season and didn't get to WATCH as much cheerleading as I normally do until I got to Worlds. I sat front row at the HP Fieldhouse for 12 hours straight on Saturday and was in shock at how far SOME of the routines had taken it. Overall, I think our sport is in a great place but we can definitely get desensitized to trends. It was nice to step away for a bit and then step back and see everything from a fresh set of eyes.

This issue comes up a lot when talking to judges and to some coaches. I solicited the feedback to make sure there was a general consensus on the topic. I don't think there are any big changes to be made. There is already an inappropriate choreography deduction and a place on the score sheet to reward for 'genuine enthusiasm and athletic impression.' It's just a matter of reminding the judges that they have those tools at their disposal. I miss seeing cheerleaders SMILE. The judges miss seeing cheerleaders SMILE.

We all have varying opinions on how much is too much and whether or not certain moves are borderline inappropriate. The fact that we've even opened ourselves up to that discussion and speculation is not a good thing. When my son or daughter asks whether or not they can cheer, I don't want to second guess whether or not its the right sport for them. It should be a no-brainer.

I'm proud to be a part of all star cheer and hope the industry continues to work together so that we can remain proud of it for many, many years to come.

I had a lot of big life changes this past season and didn't get to WATCH as much cheerleading as I normally do until I got to Worlds. I sat front row at the HP Fieldhouse for 12 hours straight on Saturday and was in shock at how far SOME of the routines had taken it. Overall, I think our sport is in a great place but we can definitely get desensitized to trends. It was nice to step away for a bit and then step back and see everything from a fresh set of eyes.

This issue comes up a lot when talking to judges and to some coaches. I solicited the feedback to make sure there was a general consensus on the topic. I don't think there are any big changes to be made. There is already an inappropriate choreography deduction and a place on the score sheet to reward for 'genuine enthusiasm and athletic impression.' It's just a matter of reminding the judges that they have those tools at their disposal. I miss seeing cheerleaders SMILE. The judges miss seeing cheerleaders SMILE.

We all have varying opinions on how much is too much and whether or not certain moves are borderline inappropriate. The fact that we've even opened ourselves up to that discussion and speculation is not a good thing. When my son or daughter asks whether or not they can cheer, I don't want to second guess whether or not its the right sport for them. It should be a no-brainer.

I'm proud to be a part of all star cheer and hope the industry continues to work together so that we can remain proud of it for many, many years to come.

:shimmy: Thought this was the most appropriate one. ;)

Bravo! If I could shimmy this more than once I would. I hope that you continue in this industry and help keep it on the path of impressive skills and athleticism.

Serious question to athletes, coaches, and parents: Do you feel like the 'thigh and body rubbing" trend in all star has gotten out of hand?

I absolutely think it has gotten out of hand and something needs to be done about it because it takes away from the amazing athleticism and skill of the athletes. There needs to be a balance between creative expression and looking like a stripper routine. Otherwise, you might as well start allowing poles to be part of the routines. The ever shrinking uniforms don't help much with this either......

There is nothing better than a smile. I've always had the thought that a photographer might catch that "fierce facial" or whatever else but, especially at bigger competitions, nothing projects to the back of a room like a smile. I'm not a fan of watching routines and wondering why some athletes look SO angry!

Also your son is adorable!

Came across this on Twitter. Sums it up pretty good.

Sorry for the double post but the first one is the exact routine I pictured from the beginning of the thread.

I've seen that vine and pictures from that section posted everywhere and fellow athletes praise her for being fierce, sassy, etc but it's actually ridiculous. You couldn't find anything else in the world for her to do? Nothing?

Back