All-Star Thoughts On Competitions Immediately Following Long Holiday Breaks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've seen it work both ways. When the coaches leave the routine the same as it was prior to break, it's ok. When they make changes based on judges' comments or changes to the roster it's been tough.

We are doing this for the first time this year... Did this on purpose for a good "kick in the pants" After all that down time. I think you can really see where athletes ARE after a short bounce back period.

At first I thought this thread was "Competitions before a break" which I love as you don't have to worry about missing school so you can stay longer where your comp is and explore the city, especially for travel comps.

But we don't really have many comps after the school holidays, they (AASCF(Australian all star cheerleading federation) tend to schedule them in the middle, a bit before, or on breaks.

So I don't know how we would go, but probably worse because we haven't been training so we're not fit. I'm currently on my summer break now, and I'm alternating swimming (another one of my sports) with tumbling in the backyard (I'm only level one) and doing a long stretch session when I have time, so I don't lose all my fitness. Our school swimming carnival is like 2 weeks after we go back so I want to stay fit for that also.

purplecheer where in Australia do you cheer??

The gym is closed for 2 weeks.... So levels 1-4 and j5 wont practice. MedCOed 5 still practices twice a week while the gym is closed.

I hate competing after a break. And I really wish we weren't forced to do it some years. But this year we either had to compete January 9th or sit out all of January and not compete again until Cheersport Nationals in February. Not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes me wonder how many level 5 teams keep practicing, don't take a break.

We compete locally about 1.5 weeks after we come back and Spirit of Hope/JSN is the following weekend.

We are closed for two solid weeks right now and it's bliss. Heck, half our coaches are overseas. The one thing I love about our gym are practices start and end when they are scheduled and they don't see school breaks as more time for them to be on the mat. I appreciate the balance. And while they'll work hard when they get back with some extra practices both the kids and coaches will be recharged and ready to focus.

We practiced on Easter Sunday before (and Labor Day and Memorial Day) at other gyms and no bid, jacket, trophy or banner is worth the lack of balance for making a kid miss family or religious time for a cheer practice.

If you're that close to the competition, like the movie says, if you don't have it by then...you don't have it.

I'm appreciating my cheer mom final year in a little slice of cheer sanity.

My gym is shut down for the full 2 weeks and none of our teams practice at all. This is my first time to JSN in maybe 6 years, but other than that we usually have until the first weekend in February before our next competition. I am kind of nervous for our team because we did do some upgrades before the break that we have yet to perfect but hopefully after the break everyone will be ready to get to work and we will be ready after our last 4 practices!

We compete locally about 1.5 weeks after we come back and Spirit of Hope/JSN is the following weekend.

We are closed for two solid weeks right now and it's bliss. Heck, half our coaches are overseas. The one thing I love about our gym are practices start and end when they are scheduled and they don't see school breaks as more time for them to be on the mat. I appreciate the balance. And while they'll work hard when they get back with some extra practices both the kids and coaches will be recharged and ready to focus.

We practiced on Easter Sunday before (and Labor Day and Memorial Day) at other gyms and no bid, jacket, trophy or banner is worth the lack of balance for making a kid miss family or religious time for a cheer practice.

If you're that close to the competition, like the movie says, if you don't have it by then...you don't have it.

I'm appreciating my cheer mom final year in a little slice of cheer sanity.

Yes. This.

This is why I don't add on "emergency" practice before a comp unless there is a real emergency (like, multiple people got hit by a bus the Friday before a Sunday comp, alternates are all in use and I HAVE to re-work the routine.)

Also not a fan of kids getting into town for a comp and immediately having a practice the NIGHT before they compete, after they have been in the car all day getting there. Or on a plane. They haven't really rested and usually have to be up early.

See also: late night practices in between Day 1 and Day 2 of comps. Unless you had an injury, it is more likely to just wear kids out instead of help them.

Back