All-Star Tightly Curled Pony Tail For Thin Hair That Hates Curls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerkidzmom

Cheer Parent
Mar 25, 2010
any suggestions on how to achieve a tightly curled high pony tail that will last all day? The hair is a couple inches past shoulder length, thin, hard to curl and even harder to retain the curl.

Any suggestions would be a big help!

I'd go with the small blue sponge rollers. Spray entire strand with some freeze hairspray or gel then use end wraps to help hold the hair on the roller and roll away!

CP's hair is the same. We put pomade in her hair, spray a section, and use the spiral wand. Works very well!

I'd go with the small blue sponge rollers. Spray entire strand with some freeze hairspray or gel then use end wraps to help hold the hair on the roller and roll away!

I agree with this...we did high tight curls for Bobcats and I used the blue sponge rollers, small amounts of hair, this blue gel that is like cement and Fix It hairspray. I recently changed over to Freeze It brand after getting a bunch of free samples at NCA. Love the stuff!

I use curlformers and they work really well! My hair's thick but I feel that they'd work well with all hair types because your hair dries as they're in that shape. They're also soft and flexible which is great to sleep in! The longer you keep them in, the tighter they are! I recently did my friends hair, which is thin and does not hold a curl, for NCA Dallas and used my curling wand with lots and lots of hair spray!

how do you curl just the pony tail section? Do you have her sleep in a pony with the curlers or do you curl the whole hair, then slick back the front to achieve a clean pony?

sleep in the pony tail for sure. this will also help her from getting too many frizzies pulling out from the curlers!
Yes, we did the pony tail (spray well and smooth down - will help it stay overnight) and bow before curlers. Then I put a curl cover over everything and she went to bed. There was no way a bow was going over those curls well enough to stay in.

I have the hardest hair to curl as well. Make sure she doesnt wash her hair the morning of competition and then I used biolage setting spray to every piece of hair I was curling then I wrapped it around my wand and it stayed all day and then when I was finish curling it I sprayed extra hold hairsprayed it. It stayed all day!

Its so hard to say, because everyone's hair is different. My daughter's hair is stick straight and sponge rollers work amazing but the curls are super tight and don't fall right. I actually found curling with a small flat iron (1") worked fantastic. I curled with hair that was not washed for at least 24-48 hours. My girl has a TON of hair so it actually looks better after a day or two. I just discovered the wand and we used it for the first time this past weekend at spirit fest. They do a high pony with curls. I did tiny sections of hair and did not put anything in her hair (mousse, gel, etc.) It worked amazing! I spray and spray with Aussie super hold aerosol. The curls were still in at the end of the day, they just went from about 50 small curls to 4 huge banana curls! I highly recommend the wand! But make sure you get a glove. Sally's has them for about $6.00. Otherwise, your hand will be burnt to a crisp.

I use curlformers and they work really well! My hair's thick but I feel that they'd work well with all hair types because your hair dries as they're in that shape. They're also soft and flexible which is great to sleep in! The longer you keep them in, the tighter they are! I recently did my friends hair, which is thin and does not hold a curl, for NCA Dallas and used my curling wand with lots and lots of hair spray!
A lot of the ECE girls use Curl formers and have great luck with them.

Its so hard to say, because everyone's hair is different. My daughter's hair is stick straight and sponge rollers work amazing but the curls are super tight and don't fall right. I actually found curling with a small flat iron (1") worked fantastic. I curled with hair that was not washed for at least 24-48 hours. My girl has a TON of hair so it actually looks better after a day or two. I just discovered the wand and we used it for the first time this past weekend at spirit fest. They do a high pony with curls. I did tiny sections of hair and did not put anything in her hair (mousse, gel, etc.) It worked amazing! I spray and spray with Aussie super hold aerosol. The curls were still in at the end of the day, they just went from about 50 small curls to 4 huge banana curls! I highly recommend the wand! But make sure you get a glove. Sally's has them for about $6.00. Otherwise, your hand will be burnt to a crisp.
switch the direction you curl in for every other curl to avoid this! :)

Thank you for the advice everyone! Very helpful. I am either going to try the wand or sponge curlers. I love the curlformers, but they are a little to pricey for me right now.

Back