Tips For Flyers In Full Downs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My coach always tells the flyers to
A. Not jump out of the stunt twisting (many flyers twist before they even get thrown!)
B. Sort of ride it up, twist quickly when you hit the top, and then stop twisting so the bases can catch you.

And like the person above said, do NOT drop your chest!

I used to be able to full/double down decently about 6months ago then just lost the knack of it and kept spinning out of my bases hands.. which in turn got me along with me bases hurt so i just lost confidence with it.

However yesterday it just clicked in me again however we were doing 1 and a quarter twists. So you start facing the side then quarter turn to face the front with a full/double twist. I found it basically stopped me flying out of my bases hands as you have to turn your hips to face the front first before you snap your arms in to twist. So theres no way you can twist off in another direction and fall.

Squeeze everything and snap your arms down super hard. Another tip is to squeeze your shoulders up so you ride the pop more. :)

Make sure and ride it. You need to keep tight as well as if your legs are flying all over the place then you'll probably knock someone out! I always find the most important thing is to not jump out of your bases hands. Wait until they throw you and then you twist when you hit the top of the stunt. Snap your arms down to give you the momentum to twist. We used to wrap them around your body in the direction of your twist but I guess it depends on however you're coached to do it.

Thanks ya'll. I was so scared today and jumped out of the bases' hands the first few times, but once I got the hang of it, it was fine. Also, how to I ride it more? My coaches keep telling me I pike too fast in my normal cradles. Tips?

It's kind of hard to explain how to do it. You just kind of have to feel it. When your bases pop you, squeeze your shoulders up towards your ears and twist quickly when you hit the top. Don't twist right out of your bases hands or the cradle will have no height.
With normal cradles it works the same, keep super tight and squeeze your shoulders up when they pop you. Pike in to it when you feel yourself hit the top and start to come down.

Back