OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So as you've all seen in the random thread, I'm now at UNF and a member of Kappa Alpha Theta! The easiest way to remember it is that Walt Disney's daughters are Thetas :D I have to now go back and look in every disney movie for every little hidden pansy or kite

Like you needed an excuse!

After WEEKS of not having my laptop, I can PROUDLY present our hot new babes. Obsessed with all of them.
34ta1p1.png

I'm in our Tampa office this week with one of my cohorts from Birmingham. Went to a big presentation with three of the guys from the Tampa office to see a couple of owners of a law firm. Something came up about fraternities, so I mentioned that me and the other guy from Birmingham are both SAE. I went to EKU and he went to Birmingham Southern. Turns out the other three guys in the car were also all SAE. Two went to Florida and one to Furman. The guy driving knew the two guys that we were meeting and both of them were also SAE - one from Florida and one from Florida State.

How cool is that??

Has anyone cheered in college and been in a sorority? How did you balance your time?
Me and my roommate both cheer at school. She's been in Iota Beta Chi since last year, I'm thinking about rushing (I doubt I will) but she seems to be doing fine. She also is taking two extra classes this year and looking for a job. I think it's doable!

So I'm thinking of going Greek at my school. Greek life is relatively small at my school, I go to New Jersey City University. I just transferred there this semester and it's my third year. Club day was last week and I didn't get to go because I had work all day. :( but I follow some of the chapters I'm interested in on IG and I found out when the informationals are and in planning to go. I just wanted advice on how I should prepare, what should I expect, what should I do, because this whole thing is new to me. Lol

So I'm thinking of going Greek at my school. Greek life is relatively small at my school, I go to New Jersey City University. I just transferred there this semester and it's my third year. Club day was last week and I didn't get to go because I had work all day. :( but I follow some of the chapters I'm interested in on IG and I found out when the informationals are and in planning to go. I just wanted advice on how I should prepare, what should I expect, what should I do, because this whole thing is new to me. Lol

Are you looking at pledging your standard "white girl" sorority or joining a Black or Latino Greek organization? I only ask because the pledging processes seem to be drastically different between the two. From what I've seen the latter seem to be the more prevalent organizations in most NJ colleges. Three or four latino organizations (drawing a blank on which, ATM) were founded in NJ alone at Rutgers/Kean so they're definitely bigger around here. the random facts you learn living with pledges lol

Anyway, I lived with pledges of both (at a different school, but still in NJ) - Two of my friends were pledging a Latina organization and it was an incredibly lengthy process before they were officially members of the sorority. like over two semesters. it was also a rather secretive process that they weren't allowed to talk about... but for the two semesters they pledged they did a lot of fundraising and volunteer work and one night members of the sorority did come "kidnap" them and take them out into the woods (you could hear chanting from our apartment, but again it was a secret) it ended with a "hooding" type ceremony open to the public where the girls had full hoods covering their faces and were marched to the middle of campus. the hoods were removed and they performed a step routine with chants and it was just really cool to witness. again, the specifics were secret so you'd have to ask around on your campus about how they work at your school. My other friend pledged ZTA. it was about a month or two until she was a full fledged member with lots more mixers and themed parties. The two sororities were drastically different, IMO, but still both very focused on their philanthropies, sisterhood and helping the community.

Are you looking at pledging your standard "white girl" sorority or joining a Black or Latino Greek organization? I only ask because the pledging processes seem to be drastically different between the two. From what I've seen the latter seem to be the more prevalent organizations in most NJ colleges. Three or four latino organizations (drawing a blank on which, ATM) were founded in NJ alone at Rutgers/Kean so they're definitely bigger around here. the random facts you learn living with pledges lol

Anyway, I lived with pledges of both (at a different school, but still in NJ) - Two of my friends were pledging a Latina organization and it was an incredibly lengthy process before they were officially members of the sorority. like over two semesters. it was also a rather secretive process that they weren't allowed to talk about... but for the two semesters they pledged they did a lot of fundraising and volunteer work and one night members of the sorority did come "kidnap" them and take them out into the woods (you could hear chanting from our apartment, but again it was a secret) it ended with a "hooding" type ceremony open to the public where the girls had full hoods covering their faces and were marched to the middle of campus. the hoods were removed and they performed a step routine with chants and it was just really cool to witness. again, the specifics were secret so you'd have to ask around on your campus about how they work at your school. My other friend pledged ZTA. it was about a month or two until she was a full fledged member with lots more mixers and themed parties. The two sororities were drastically different, IMO, but still both very focused on their philanthropies, sisterhood and helping the community.
Some of the ones I'm looking at are Latino organizations and the others are multicultural. I'm looking at Mu Sigma Upsilon, Lambda Theta Alpha, Omega Phi Chi, Lambda Pi Upsilon, and Lambda Tau Omega. And yeah but it's gonna be kinda different since I don't live on campus. I live maybe 4 blocks away from campus so dorming wouldn't be too smart, lol. My schools Greek senate is havering a BBQ this Tuesday so I'm gonna stop by after class before I have to go I work and the first informational for OPC is this Wednesday so I'll be going to that.

Some of the ones I'm looking at are Latino organizations and the others are multicultural. I'm looking at Mu Sigma Upsilon, Lambda Theta Alpha, Omega Phi Chi, Lambda Pi Upsilon, and Lambda Tau Omega. And yeah but it's gonna be kinda different since I don't live on campus. I live maybe 4 blocks away from campus so dorming wouldn't be too smart, lol. My schools Greek senate is havering a BBQ this Tuesday so I'm gonna stop by after class before I have to go I work and the first informational for OPC is this Wednesday so I'll be going to that.

ahh yes! my two roommates were Lamba Theta Alpha! and yes, dorming would be silly lol but you're still close enough for all activities. I don't know if the length of time of the pledging process varies between schools or if that is a more "national" type guideline, but they weren't allowed to call themselves members or get their letters for 2 semesters. that'd be the only sucky thing since you are a Junior. but no matter when you pledge or how much time you spend in the sorority, i'm sure if you asked them they'd encourage you to pledge anyway because it changed their lives. good luck and have fun!!

Thanks! And yeah I'm a double major so it looks like I might be doing an extra year so no worries about the time, haha.

ETA: any tips on how to prepare for an informational session? I'm gonna research each sorority but like any questions I should have ready to ask or anything else I should know before hand?

Last edited:
Back