OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Thanks! And yeah I'm a double major so it looks like I might be doing an extra year so no worries about the time, haha.

ETA: any tips on how to prepare for an informational session? I'm gonna research each sorority but like any questions I should have ready to ask or anything else I should know before hand?
I think you're already ahead of the game wanting to prepare questions. Whenever I was rushing girls I always loved when they had questions that I was able to answer instead of me having to keep the conversation going.

Thanks! And yeah I'm a double major so it looks like I might be doing an extra year so no worries about the time, haha.

ETA: any tips on how to prepare for an informational session? I'm gonna research each sorority but like any questions I should have ready to ask or anything else I should know before hand?

For most of the sororities that you mentioned they prefer you to dress in professional/business clothing when you go to the session. There is only so much about the process that they can tell you about, so don't expect a step by step break down of what is going to happen. As njallday said, all the processes are very secretive. Organizations like when you know a little bit about them so do your homework and know some of their previous events and ask them about it. Also it might be good to ask about their goals so you can see if they are something you can align yourself with.

On Thursday I received a bid to Gamma Phi Beta at my school (Union College)! We don't rush until sophomore year here. I never mentioned that I was rushing because I was just so nervous about the whole thing, but I'm excited. I know sororities up here are totally different than Southern sorority culture, but greek life is huge on my campus (even though they tell you it is not big at all on tours). My best friend of 8 years is in the same one as me, two of my good friends are now Delta Delta Delta, and two of my other good friends are Sigma Delta Tau, so we all were split up among the 3 sororities (yes, we only have 3 even though we have like 8 fraternities).

Last edited:
Welp...my baby sister randomly decided to go Greek! She's an Alpha Sigma Tau I think. I never pictured her as wanting to get involved in Greek life but she took the plunge and loves it! She's made a lot of new friends so far. She keeps talking about how excited she is to get her big next week hahaha.

As much as I wanted to go Greek, it just didn't fit into my demanding cheer schedule. But I am doing something a bit different- I'm rushing a coed business fraternity! It's Delta Sigma Pi. I'm super pumped I think it's going to be an awesome opportunity!
Several girls in my sorority were also brothers in DSP and they loved it!

As much as I wanted to go Greek, it just didn't fit into my demanding cheer schedule. But I am doing something a bit different- I'm rushing a coed business fraternity! It's Delta Sigma Pi. I'm super pumped I think it's going to be an awesome opportunity!
I've heard of a lot of these lately.. Can you explain a little more? Especially the business aspect. (Being a business major i'm intrigued) :D

I've heard of a lot of these lately.. Can you explain a little more? Especially the business aspect. (Being a business major i'm intrigued) :D
So I'm still not 100% sure on the Greek aspect of of it but basically it's open to anybody, but obviously it will benefit business majors the most. They'll bring in guest speakers, help with networking, internships, etc. It really give you experience in the business world. I know for mine pledging is a 9 week process, we have to take quizzes once a week. I submitted a resume and cover letter and I have an interview tonight- it's set up like an actual interview and we have to dress business professional. That's all my knowledge and I hope I explained it well enough!

So I'm still not 100% sure on the Greek aspect of of it but basically it's open to anybody, but obviously it will benefit business majors the most. They'll bring in guest speakers, help with networking, internships, etc. It really give you experience in the business world. I know for mine pledging is a 9 week process, we have to take quizzes once a week. I submitted a resume and cover letter and I have an interview tonight- it's set up like an actual interview and we have to dress business professional. That's all my knowledge and I hope I explained it well enough!
So it's more of a honor society then Greek life?

So it's more of a honor society then Greek life?
I was not in DSP, but I can tell you a little bit about it from my friends who were members. There were several rounds of interviews prior to being selected as a new member (similar to an internship or job interview). GPA requirements were high. Once selected, their pledging process was (arguably) more difficult than that of a social fraternity. At least it was to my sisters who joined. There were quizzes and ongoing interviews with current members. Socially, there was little difference between the two. DSP has initiation, chapter meetings, formals, semi formals, themed functions, mountain weekends, bar crawls, etc. They also had big/little brothers (every member, male or female is considered a "brother"). It was just geared more toward professional/career development, I guess you could say? Lots of networking and guest speakers.

Open to all majors, not just business! Like I said before, my friends who were in it LOVED it. Even the ones in social fraternities too loved them both equally in different ways.

I was not in DSP, but I can tell you a little bit about it from my friends who were members. There were several rounds of interviews prior to being selected as a new member (similar to an internship or job interview). Once selected, their pledging process was (arguably) more difficult than that of a social fraternity. At least it was to my sisters who joined. There were quizzes and ongoing interviews with current members. Socially, there was little difference between the two. DSP has initiation, chapter meetings, formals, semi formals, themed functions, mountain weekends, bar crawls, etc. They also had big/little brothers (every member, male or female is considered a "brother"). It was just geared more toward professional/career development, I guess you could say? Lots of networking and guest speakers.

Open to all majors, not just business!
I actually like the sound of that! I'll have to look into it :)

unpopular empirically derived scientific data coming through...

(this isn't meant to look down upon greek life, but it's something that prospects and current members should be aware of)

Two different longitudinal studies have shown that fraternity men are three times more likely to commit sexual assault than other college men (Foubert, Newberry, & Tatum, 2007; Loh, Gidycz, Lobo, & Luthra, 2005.)

Research has shown that fraternity men are significantly more likely than other college men and the general population to approve of coercing women to engage in sexual behavior (Boering-er, 1999; Foubert et al., 2007; Murnen & Kohlman, 2007).

Research has shown that fraternity men report greater support for anti-female behaviors (Sanday, 1996)

According to multiple studies, fraternity men endorse rape-supportive attitudes at a significantly higher rate than non fraternity members (Bleecker & Murnen, 2005; Boeringer, 1999).

so it's not surprising, because sorority members associate with fraternity memebers the most, that...

Women in sororities are 74% more likely to experience rape than other college women, and those who live in the sorority house are over three times as likely to experience rape ((Minow & Einolf, 2009; Mohler-Kuo, Dowdall, Koss, & Weschler, 2004).

Multiple studies have identified greater alcohol use as a cause for the staggering prevalence of sexual assault incidents involving sorority women (Abbey, 2002; Benson, Gohm, & Gross, 2007;McCauley et al., 2009).

Even after controls are included for alcohol consumption and attendance of Greek-hosted parties during which alcohol is served, research has shown that sexual assault experiences are reported by sorority women at a rate four times that of non-sorority women. Additionally, despite widespread use of alcohol among the female college population, sexual assault incidents remain higher among sorority women (Minow & Einolf, 2009)

all of this can be found in the introduction of this study, as well as the references: Sorority women’s and fraternity men’s rape myth acceptance and bystander intervention attitudes | John Foubert - Academia.edu

Back