OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
are you trying to say that, in one day, you, as a sophmore with 60 units majoring in social work, were able to dissect the findings of 14 scientific papers published by 20+ PhDs? and what evidence do you have to back up your claims? claiming to be a social work major isn't a valid argument. what is it about the statistics that you find idiotic? what were the limitations of the statistical tests? what would you have done differently to have made studies and statistics more reliable and valid?

It's "sophomore".

Hope everyone conducting the studies paid more attention to detail.

Yes, really. Because I have a job and a life. Right now I just don't have time to recount my life experience and the hundreds of fraternity brothers that I know that HAVEN'T committed rape or sexual assault. I also don't have time to spend on these studies to try and dissect the details.

I have no doubt that there are idiots in fraternities and that many have committed sexual crimes. But that is NOT what we taught or stressed in my fraternity. We taught men the concept of The True Gentleman and we worked hard to enforce high standards.

I've seen many "studies" in my life that were conducted with a very slanted perspective because the people despised the things they were studying.

I know what I know and have seen.

If anyone commits a rape, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

And if a fraternity in any way encourages a "rape culture", it should be shut down.

Last edited:
Oops, for some reason the husky picture made me think they were a male! I said junior because ryann3794 had said she was currently a junior.
And I think @getsum was referring to her as a sophomore since she's currently beginning her junior year, having completed the necessary 60 units required of a sophomore. (as an attempt to belittle her, I believe)

Yes, really. Because I have a job and a life. Right now I just don't have time to recount my life experience and the hundreds of fraternity brothers that I know that HAVEN'T committed rape or sexual assault. I also don't have time to spend on these studies to try and dissect the details.

I have no doubt that there are idiots in fraternities and that many have committed sexual crimes. But that is NOT what we taught or stressed in my fraternity. We taught men the concept of The True Gentleman and we worked hard to enforce high standards.

I've seen many "studies" in my life that were conducted with a very slanted perspective because the people despised the things they were studying.

I know what I know and have seen.

If anyone commits a rape, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

And if a fraternity in any way encourages a "rape culture", it should be shut down.

no one can truly say without a doubt that they are knowledgeable about all the actions of someone else or a group of people that they knew. sorry, but not even parents can say that they truly know their own kids. i know those guys were your friends, and im not accusing them of anything, but the "i knew a guy or knew people" argument still isn't a valid argument against the findings of the studies.

yes, science does have its power hungry and unethical people, but to say that 16 studies and 20+ scientists got together because they didn't pass rush week (or how ever it's called; im not familiar with greek initiations) and are now finally out to get their revenge through published scientific studies is a bit outlandish.

And I think @getsum was referring to her as a sophomore since she's currently beginning her junior year, having completed the necessary 60 units required of a sophomore. (as an attempt to belittle her, I believe)

:rolleyes:

more as an attempt to show that claiming to be a sophomore or junior university student that disagrees with 16 studies, just because, without any evidence, isn't a valid argument.

no one can truly say without a doubt that they are knowledgeable about all the actions of someone else or a group of people that they knew. sorry, but not even parents can say that they truly know their own kids. i know those guys were your friends, and im not accusing them of anything, but the "i knew a guy or knew people" argument still isn't a valid argument against the findings of the studies.

yes, science does have its power hungry and unethical people, but to say that 16 studies and 20+ scientists got together because they didn't pass rush week (or how ever it's called; im not familiar with greek initiations) and are now finally out to get their revenge through published scientific studies is a bit outlandish.

:rolleyes:

more as an attempt to show that claiming to be a sophomore or junior university student that disagrees with 16 studies, just because, without any evidence, isn't a valid argument.
Hahaha I'm so done with this thread. I wasn't disagreeing "just because" believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about here. Shocker here I know, but I'm actually almost done with school so I'll be a real live social worker dealing with these issues soon! Surprising I know..

Hahaha I'm so done with this thread. I wasn't disagreeing "just because" believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about here. Shocker here I know, but I'm actually almost done with school so I'll be a real live social worker dealing with these issues soon! Surprising I know..

claiming an authoritative position on the subject matter without any supportive evidence to back up a claim is nothing more than an argumentum ab auctoritate.

This is one of my favorite threads and I'm not gonna let it go down in flames you guyssss.

SOOOO tonight I am officially attending my first function as an adviser/chaperone! It's Parent's Cocktail, which is silly to me that chaperones are needed at a function with parents. But I'm technically the adviser of the girl who planned it, so of course I volunteered, haha

Last edited:
Back