OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yes. At South Carolina you sign a bid card when you vote on on pref night basically saying you will accept a bid from either sorority you prefed (or the one, if you suicided. But then you run the risk of no bid at all.) Signing a bid card forbids you from rushing again for a full calendar year. That includes COBing.

Once you're into the third round you're guaranteed a bid from one of the chapters you visit that round. (At SC that's the case. Other schools might not work the same). It's reaaaaally rare to get cut from all chapters there.
I couldn't remember how long you had to wait, but I knew a year sounded right. At my school, you weren't ever guaranteed a bid even if you prefed. I suicided, against the express instructions not too...:p

I've wondered this and hope this makes sense.
Say my school has 6 sororities. After day 1 my rankings go: 5, 4, 6, 2, 1, 3. Sorority 5 and 4 don't want me back but I only selected 5, 4 and 6 in my allowed top 3. Do I only get to go back to sorority number 6? Or do I go to 6, 2 and 1?
And does this change as the days go on?

Say my school has 6 sororities. After day 1 my rankings go: 5, 4, 6, 2, 1, 3. Sorority 5 and 4 don't want me back but I only selected 5, 4 and 6 in my allowed top 3. Do I only get to go back to sorority number 6? Or do I go to 6, 2 and 1?
You go to 6, 2 and 1 if they all invite you back!

In my experience it totally depends. Not sure how your school does it, but normally for us it was completely dependent on numbers. How many girls those chapters wanted back, how many wanted them back, what quota was looking like, etc. Just because you ranked a chapter low or put them in one of your "dropped" spots doesn't mean you're automatically done with them. You could end up back there a few times, it's all a numbers game.

In my experience it totally depends. Not sure how your school does it, but normally for us it was completely dependent on numbers. How many girls those chapters wanted back, how many wanted them back, what quota was looking like, etc. Just because you ranked a chapter low or put them in one of your "dropped" spots doesn't mean you're automatically done with them. You could end up back there a few times, it's all a numbers game.
That's what I figured! I was supposed to transfer to a university this fall and wanted to rush as a Junior. But things change (and math is really hard) so I'll hopefully be going next fall. So I'll be 21 and rushing makes me really nervous because I know a lot of sororities won't take a lot of upperclassmen :/

So so happy to say I'm a new member of sigma kappa! It's my sisters house too so it's so exciting! (that's us)
Plus my awesome Pi chi who got me through the week is a sigma kappa too! I'm so excited!
985638c2fe3e1702b14e8a5ee4a03037.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I figured! I was supposed to transfer to a university this fall and wanted to rush as a Junior. But things change (and math is really hard) so I'll hopefully be going next fall. So I'll be 21 and rushing makes me really nervous because I know a lot of sororities won't take a lot of upperclassmen :/
It depends on the school- but upperclassman are at a definite disadvantage from the start. My daughter was prepared for that, but it still didn't make her feel any better at the time (when the cuts came which she knew were only because she was a Junior). She did have a full schedule everyday though. She continued to the end and found a chapter she liked from the beginning and that is where she ended up - they gave her a bid as a Junior and she is happy. I do think the other Juniors she knew also found a home so that was good. It can be done, you just have to be realistic, go in with an open mind and keep all your options open.

It depends on the school- but upperclassman are at a definite disadvantage from the start. My daughter was prepared for that, but it still didn't make her feel any better at the time (when the cuts came which she knew were only because she was a Junior). She did have a full schedule everyday though. She continued to the end and found a chapter she liked from the beginning and that is where she ended up - they gave her a bid as a Junior and she is happy. I do think the other Juniors she knew also found a home so that was good. It can be done, you just have to be realistic, go in with an open mind and keep all your options open.
Is she at UCF or Florida Southern? I know you live in that area and said she was staying local. Both have a large Greek life so that's great that she found a home she liked as a Junior :)
Hopefully I'll be going to FSU though which I heard this year had 2,008 girls rush.....

Is she at UCF or Florida Southern? I know you live in that area and said she was staying local. Both have a large Greek life so that's great that she found a home she liked as a Junior :)
Hopefully I'll be going to FSU though which I heard this year had 2,008 girls rush.....
UCF

I'm nervous to be rushing as a sophomore but you guys are helping me feel much better about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't be nervous. Be yourself and have fun. Try and meet as many sisters as you can. Remember, they can't vote for you if they don't know you.

I'm nervous to be rushing as a sophomore but you guys are helping me feel much better about it!

I think it also really depends on the school you go to. Rushing as a freshman seems to be really important in the more southern schools, but not as big of a deal in other areas. Just go in with an open mind, give all the houses a chance and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Also...remember, a lot of times the sisters are as nervous as you are. Rush is not a normal thing for anyone. The sisters are just as worried about making a good impression on all of you as you are to all of them.

Also...remember, a lot of times the sisters are as nervous as you are. Rush is not a normal thing for anyone. The sisters are just as worried about making a good impression on all of you as you are to all of them.
THIS THIS THIS 100% this. I was much more nervous to rush girls my sophomore year than I was rushing freshman year. (I got the hang of it by junior and and senior year, now I can talk to a brick wall lol)

Why don't houses want you if you're upper class? Just because you won't be around as long?

Back