OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Why don't houses want you if you're upper class? Just because you won't be around as long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically. Like why waste a bid on someone who will only be here for two years instead of someone who will be here for four since you would have to replace the junior faster.

I guess the sentiment is that there's less time for the junior to get acclimated and embrace sorority life, less time for them to consider running for officer positions, live in the house, be on the meal plan, etc. I don't exactly buy into it, but it's the case sometimes I guess.

South Carolina gave out quotas for a total number of new members you had to take, and then also quotas for the number of upperclassman within that pledge class. Helped even out the numbers and give everyone a fair shot.

My school was different. We had informal rush in the fall. Freshman weren't allowed to pledge first semester, so our pledge classes in the fall were all sophomores and up. They tended to be smaller classes. Spring was formal rush, which generally led to larger classes with all the freshman.

My school was different. We had informal rush in the fall. Freshman weren't allowed to pledge first semester, so our pledge classes in the fall were all sophomores and up. They tended to be smaller classes. Spring was formal rush, which generally led to larger classes with all the freshman.
That is how it was where I went to school as well. I wish it was this way at former-cp's school, but I also understand pledging to make a large school feel smaller early on, from the start of freshman year.

Proud to announce my former chapter (and the chapter now advise) welcomed 120 beautiful new members home yesterday! They had a 'galaxy' theme for bid day, thus the psychedelic letters.
11947512_1101546049864269_6217241322928529717_n.jpg

I'm nervous to be rushing as a sophomore but you guys are helping me feel much better about it!

GIRLLL you're gonna do great! We took so many sophomores last year. Honestly you have somewhat of an upper hand because you have yourself together after being at school for a year and you have all of our advice :) seriously just be as calm as possible and get rid of all of the nerves! I promise that the girls rushing you are 10x more nervous. Help them out and try to be really talkative and outgoing :)

Proud to announce my former chapter (and the chapter now advise) welcomed 120 beautiful new members home yesterday! They had a 'galaxy' theme for bid day, thus the psychedelic letters.
11947512_1101546049864269_6217241322928529717_n.jpg
My best friend just went kappa at mizzou! Their bid day theme was galaxy too, is that just a coincidence or do all chapters try to do similar themes? Her shirt is a also purple tank top, slightly different style, with ΚΚΓ in galaxy print kind of blocky letters.

My best friend just went kappa at mizzou! Their bid day theme was galaxy too, is that just a coincidence or do all chapters try to do similar themes? Her shirt is a also purple tank top, slightly different style, with ΚΚΓ in galaxy print kind of blocky letters.
Wow that's crazy! Our New Member chairs are the ones that pick the Bid Day themes so as far as I know it was just a coincidence. I get the minutes weekly as an adviser and I was a little confused by it in the spring when I first read about it, but I think it turned out well. Led to some cute instagram captions and a fun banner for the house. "Our New Members are Out of This World!"

GIRLLL you're gonna do great! We took so many sophomores last year. Honestly you have somewhat of an upper hand because you have yourself together after being at school for a year and you have all of our advice :) seriously just be as calm as possible and get rid of all of the nerves! I promise that the girls rushing you are 10x more nervous. Help them out and try to be really talkative and outgoing :)
This was so helpful and means a lot coming from you! Thank you girlie :)

Wow that's crazy! Our New Member chairs are the ones that pick the Bid Day themes so as far as I know it was just a coincidence. I get the minutes weekly as an adviser and I was a little confused by it in the spring when I first read about it, but I think it turned out well. Led to some cute instagram captions and a fun banner for the house. "Our New Members are Out of This World!"
Their banner said "kappa kappa Galaxy" here! It was a cute theme. How funny!

Okay one more rush question..
How do sororities 'vote' on girls? Aren't the first meeting sessions like 15 minutes long? At large southern schools, aren't there usually like 120 PNMs at one house? Do PMNs just talk to one girl for 15 minutes and that person just votes? Or could I have a great conversation with 3 girls and one girl from high school say they didn't like me or someone didn't like my shoes and I get voted no?

...sorry that was like 5 questions lol.

Okay one more rush question..
How do sororities 'vote' on girls? Aren't the first meeting sessions like 15 minutes long? At large southern schools, aren't there usually like 120 PNMs at one house? Do PMNs just talk to one girl for 15 minutes and that person just votes? Or could I have a great conversation with 3 girls and one girl from high school say they didn't like me or someone didn't like my shoes and I get voted no?

...sorry that was like 5 questions lol.
Voting varies by each sorority. We would vote in between each round on the girl we talked to that round., and take detailed notes on our conversation so we could remember them...we're talking to a lot of girls! Votes would be based on how we saw her fitting in with the chapter, not anything like disliking her outfit. As the rounds get longer you may get "bumped" and speak with different girls. This was just to give you the opportunity to meet more members and more of them the chance to meet you.

There's a whole voting process/scale which I'm sure varies by chapter, but one vote won't make or break you and doesn't automatically mean you're in or out. And of course your votes factor into that too.

For us, technically the girls who met you would vote, but girls you know personally had the chance to weigh in if they wanted eventually. (But again doesn't make or break you) The whole process is designed to be an average of all your votes, you can't be "blackballed" or a shoe-in just by a vote or two or just by knowing someone within that chapter.

(Can't go in to too many specifics, since voting procedures are technically ritual)

Back