OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My chapter's pledge class is 133 members strong including 11 legacies!

10384369_10153121632559115_6294564967839478239_n.jpg

The entire new pledge class
I'm looking at rushing (pretty casually but still considering it) and Kappa is the biggest sorority at my school! Definitely looking at it!

Recruitment orientation tonight...looking at Kappa Delta and Alpha Chi Omega but I honestly I'm clueless
My advice would be to keep an open mind and don't rule any organization out from the beginning or based on just what you've heard about them. Go with your gut and where you feel the most comfortable.

Don't think you want a sorority without meeting them or finding out what they stand for. Biggest pet peeve.

Has anyone cheered in college and been in a sorority? How did you balance your time?

has anyone on your team done both? they'd be your best source of info since all teams are different with different commitments. and let's face it, sororities in the north are nothing compared to those in the south. i had friends who did both and one had zero time and one had lots of free time. the sorority really is what you make it. the one girl only went to required meetings and the occasional mixer and the other girl chose to be extremely involved. our cheer team also didn't compete though, so that's a factor (since they probably practiced less than you do)

Has anyone cheered in college and been in a sorority? How did you balance your time?

I cheered in college and was in a sorority at the same time. Like some other posters said, it honestly depends on your school. However, I think regardless of where you attend college it should be able to work out as long as you are up front with both the sorority and the team. On my team of 25 (all-girl) there were at least 3-6 girls depending on the year who were cheerleaders and in different sororities. My specific sorority was very excited that they had a cheerleader who they could support and games and worked with me. I was allowed to be excused from mandatory sorority events due to cheerleading which was very helpful but I also got to go to many of the events. I would say I was equally involved with my sorority and the cheerleading team. Besides talking to any team members who have done both I would also talk with the coach, you never know they might have been in a sorority / fraternity in college. I loved being a part of both so if its something you would really like to do I would definitely try to do both if you are able!

I cheered in college and was in a sorority at the same time. Like some other posters said, it honestly depends on your school. However, I think regardless of where you attend college it should be able to work out as long as you are up front with both the sorority and the team. On my team of 25 (all-girl) there were at least 3-6 girls depending on the year who were cheerleaders and in different sororities. My specific sorority was very excited that they had a cheerleader who they could support and games and worked with me. I was allowed to be excused from mandatory sorority events due to cheerleading which was very helpful but I also got to go to many of the events. I would say I was equally involved with my sorority and the cheerleading team. Besides talking to any team members who have done both I would also talk with the coach, you never know they might have been in a sorority / fraternity in college. I loved being a part of both so if its something you would really like to do I would definitely try to do both if you are able!
While I did not cheer in college, we had several cheerleaders in my sorority and many more on the team were in different greek organizations.

In my experience it was the same as any other varsity level sport. We had girls on the cheer squad, swim team and I think one on the soccer team. Practices and events for that team took priority over even mandatory sorority events. I was in charge of attendance my final year on exec board, an usually I just had them give me a copy of their same letter they were provided with to give to teachers for missed class time. Club sports were a little different and were usually looked at on a case by case basis. Usually they would make the required sorority events but were excused from other things.

My advice is definitely be up front with both organizations and invest in a good planner. Stay on top of your paperwork and excuse documents and usually the greek organization is very accommodating. And this is coming from an SEC school where greek life is huge.

(BTW Sororities love having members on varsity teams, you're great to brag about during recruitment ;))

As I've mentioned before I'm not Greek because of transferring, but just wanted to share. My sister is an AOPi ( although currently a Rho Gamma) and on campus there is also ZTA, Alpha Xi Delta and DZ. Current max is 40 for each. Recruitment is this week and all I have heard about is that her chapter can only take 6 and ZTA can only take 8 because the other two are so low they aren't going to let the high two go over max. It's an ongoing battle because they want to raise capacity but the lower two never have a steady number and so they can't. So while everyone is sharing there huge pledge classes, she'll be welcoming 6 girls.

Back