All-Star Triple Toe To....help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 20, 2010
I have recently come off an injury (broke my hand in Nov.) and have been getting my tumbling back... Thankfully, I have all of my running back, as well as standing handspring (which is how i broke it, tragic right) and my standing tuck, which seems like I wouldn't have lost it, but imagine doing a tuck with a closed fist on one side and holding a 12 lbs weight on the other, talk about awkward.

Anyways, my last skill that has yet to come back to me is my triple toe handspring, which was very lovely before I broke my hand. I have no idea how to correct it. I try to remember that they are seperate skills and to focus on what im doing, but then I rush my HS and it looks like im 5 and just figured out how to flip my body over and somehow land on my feet.

My tumbling coach thinks it would be easier for me to just start working my toe to tuck, which i can pretty much do a single to tuck now. But im old (22) lol and i really like to stick to getting the basics down before jumping ahead. Any real pointers por favor? Or should I really just give up on it and start going thru to tucks?

In your toe touch, land with your feet a little bit in front of you, not right under you, so you have that sit and that backwards momentum. Remember to with drive your hips, not your feet in your backhandspring. Take it slow and do straight jumps to backhandsprings to help you remember that rhythm. Muscle memory will kick in. IMO, toe bhs is way harder than toe tuck, but don't give up!

before you go for that handspring, make sure your body has the "chair" shape and get those ares behind/next to your ears that will give you good shape, also make sure you absorb and not to use the springs like a trampoline and go back and not up.

I would set up a cheese wedge on an elevated mat. I would have you do Triple to immediate jump drill (some coach call it a rainbow jump, idk what the correct lingo is) which will help with the connection and the undercut (What I got out of what you said, sounds like you rush and undercut it) Its really just trying to create muscle memory for body to go back instead of whatever you are doing! Good luck. I went trough my fair fair of mental blocks, and I am old too. My first ever one was when I was 22 (ate it on a two to whip full on hard floor and couldnt do ANY standing tumbling for like two weeks) and the other happened recently (Im 25) in a sense that I twist the wrong way now! LOL! Idk!

@Rudags im having trouble visualizing the mat setup, do you have a vid or a pic, or maybe im just being slow today lol

And talking about twisting the wrong way, when i 1st got to college, my tumbling coach tried to get me to switch the way i twisted for fulls, i naturally would go left (im left handed) he wanted me to go right...needless to say i landed on and sprained my neck one day...have refused 2 twist since then...oh well =-/

The biggest problem that there is with tumbling after jumps especially after a triple toe, is that people tend to rush the backhandspring/tuck. It sounds like you're definitely rushing the skill before you finish the third jump. Since you have the stand backhandspring focus more on the jumps because the way you hit and land will determine that set for your backhandspring. Start with a single toe to backhandspring and pause in between the two. As you get more and more comfortable, slowly remove the pause. If you take your time and not overthink the backhandspring, it should be just like a standing. Think: Aproach 1,2 swing 3 hit 4 land/sit 5 jump 6.

The biggest problem that there is with tumbling after jumps especially after a triple toe, is that people tend to rush the backhandspring/tuck. It sounds like you're definitely rushing the skill before you finish the third jump. Since you have the stand backhandspring focus more on the jumps because the way you hit and land will determine that set for your backhandspring. Start with a single toe to backhandspring and pause in between the two. As you get more and more comfortable, slowly remove the pause. If you take your time and not overthink the backhandspring, it should be just like a standing. Think: Aproach 1,2 swing 3 hit 4 land/sit 5 jump 6.
Thanks yea, I think it is the jump part of the sequence that is causing the problem, because I can do a pretty single to bhs, and an ok-ish 2 to bhs...lol so i agree i think i need to stop thinking a/b the bhs part and really focus on completing my jumps in the right possition. Thank you for your help!! =)

Dont be too slow or too fast after your toe touch; you could get hurt this way..start by doing your toe touches w. count. the after your last toe touch, do a tuck..just dont rush.

Back