All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am a graphic designer and this is an arguement we hear all the time. "By helping me you get exposure and you'll make more money so I should have what I want for cheap." It is extremely frustrating to hear and to constantly have to justify our product. It infuriates me, personally. It infuriates everyone in these fields.

For a quick second though, lets really think about this exposure thing: On one hand, the person saying "you'll get exposure" might not be able to afford the product. In that case, are they a business I can get actual exposure from? Will the samll town lanscaping company who is asking me for a logo really propel me into the big agencies in NYC where I'd like to end up one day? Probably not, so why should I waste my time? On the other hand, the person saying "you'll get exposure" might actually be able to afford the product but they don't value it or me so again, why should I waste my time?

Here's the thing - we can't pay rent, buy food, or afford a car with "exposure". Like you, we also have families to look after, bills to pay, etc. Any self-respecting "creator" (writer, artist, musician, designer, etc) is NOT going to take you seriously when you make the expsoure arguement. Any self-respecting creator isn't going to waste their time do things for "exposure" when they can go do it for money. Why? Because we provide a service, produce a product, and help make the world go round, just like everyone else in the world. And we deserve to be compensated just like the rest of you. Do you ask anyone else to do their job at a discounted rate for "exposure"? When your car breaks down, do you go to your mechanic and say "well, can't you just fix it for free/reduced price and I'll tell my friends you're great?" No. When your tooth hurts, do you ask your dentist "hey can you pull this tooth for free? I'll pass your business card around in exchange." No. Archeticts don't hand out blue prints for free. Diners don't give you meals for free. People don't do your taxes for free. I really am curious as to why you think artists, writers, designers, musicians, etc should operate under that thought process and not everyone else.

When you ask people to do things for free, you show that you don't value their work or time or experience. As a designer, I paid thousands of dollars and spent countless hours building and refining my skills just like every other person in the professional world. I should be compensated for my education and experience just like everyone else. Free work does not open doors for us. It actually closes them because we are wasting our valuable time doing free/cheap work when we could be out there looking for better opprotunities for ourselves. Free work also hurts our entire industry because then people continue to devalue our work and start to expect more for less.

The reason she probably didn't make those alterations is because it's her design and not theirs and she will sell the design as her design. It would be different if she was creating it for someone else but it was her design. The thing people outside the creative realm forget a lot is if you are an artist, you do work for people and then you do work for yourself and even though you can make money off of both, they aren't the same thing. For example, an artist can be hired to do a portrait for someone and then they can go home and do a painting for themselves. The portrait is a service and the customer has full control over the outcome because technically, the customer owns it. The painting they do for themselves can be sold but the artist has full creative control over that piece and doesn't have to make alterations if they don't want to because the artist owns it until they sell it.

If your friend created the ring for herself and then decided to sell it, I don't blame her for not making alterations to the design. Artists are also business people and are aware of how much they are losing when they say no. But they also are aware that there are billions of people in the world and if someone doesn't it, they know there is another one who will. It's like turning down a job offer that is subpar/isn't what you wanted to hold out for the one you know is out there that is way better.
I give this a million shimmies. Thank you SOOOO much for standing up for all of the artists out there.

I don't think this has been discussed. Why can't Varsity/USASF come to an agreement with the labels or licensing agents and do a blank coverage for a gym who is a member or their organization? Then the governing body can distribute a list of approved artists they can use for their competitions, which is a large portion of the competitions. Maybe I am making it to simplistic. But seeing how my CP has to buy every original song in her mixes and then buy Stingrays, SE etc... shows me that having Pop Music is a major contributor to the cheer world and I love seeing the kids sing the songs as they are performing or the audience singing along to their mixes and it makes me scratch my head that this huge organization that controls the cheer industry can't figure this out.

I don't think this has been discussed. Why can't Varsity/USASF come to an agreement with the labels or licensing agents and do a blank coverage for a gym who is a member or their organization? Then the governing body can distribute a list of approved artists they can use for their competitions, which is a large portion of the competitions. Maybe I am making it to simplistic. But seeing how my CP has to buy every original song in her mixes and then buy Stingrays, SE etc... shows me that having Pop Music is a major contributor to the cheer world and I love seeing the kids sing the songs as they are performing or the audience singing along to their mixes and it makes me scratch my head that this huge organization that controls the cheer industry can't figure this out.

The issue isn't necessarily the use of the songs (even in the past, songs used at Varsity competitions have always had to be ASCAP or BMI licensed so that Varsity could pay the license fees for playing the music to the crowd). The bigger issue is that Varsity's lawyers now read that a separate license is needed to modify a song (change speed, add sound effects, etc...) plus you need the artists permission to do that. And every person needs to get those licenses and permissions to legally mix music.

Now, note that legitmix does not share this view of the law. They are on the side that says DJs have been mixing music for decades without a separate license to do it. But as I am neither a lawyer nor a music professional, I don't know who is right.

I'm just over here thanking the Good Lord in Heaven that I don't have to listen to the same 10 songs played over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over at every competition. all. stinking. year. this year.
I can agree with your thought. However, we're bound to hear some terrible routine music now. My guess is that the big name producers like JR and Patrick will charge more for their mixes. So I'm betting there will be gyms on a strict budget and they will end up with some music from Jankytown Productions.

I'm only half kidding when I say this, because I do understand how serious a problem the copyright issue is and the repercussions for our music producers which then trickle down to the gyms, but the sound system is horrible at nearly every competition I have been to, so most of the time the only thing I hear is bass and sound effects. These old ears won't know the difference between a high end licensed mix and a dime store version unless the EPs get better sound systems.

The issue isn't necessarily the use of the songs (even in the past, songs used at Varsity competitions have always had to be ASCAP or BMI licensed so that Varsity could pay the license fees for playing the music to the crowd).
Not completely true. That was just for big competitions that were televised. They only licenses paid were for the teams and mixes that aired on ESPN.

I can agree with your thought. However, we're bound to hear some terrible routine music now. My guess is that the big name producers like JR and Patrick will charge more for their mixes. So I'm betting there will be gyms on a strict budget and they will end up with some music from Jankytown Productions.
I know that Patrick himself is charging $5000 for a mix. It's a little crazy if you ask me.

Not completely true. That was just for big competitions that were televised. They only licenses paid were for the teams and mixes that aired on ESPN.
There are different licenses. Playing music at a venue (even a cheergym) requires a license in most cases. It's not just the fact that it is televised that requires a license (that just makes it more likely to be caught)

They didn't care until 2013 because that's when a cheer music producer made it his mission to make the music industry aware.

And honestly, Rachel Platten is probably the only example of the cheer industry giving any decent exposure to any artist - and saying that her success is due to the cheer industry is probably a gross overestimation of Senior Elite's impact.

They only started to care because several cheer producers got sued, not because any producer made it their mission to make people aware. Heck, all cover versions do is cut out the original artists who made the song famous and replace them with an imitation so they don't have to pay.

In the last two seasons cheerleaders have bought over $250,000 worth of original songs from iTunes so they could buy cheer mixes from Legitmix.com/cheer. Cheerleading is a great source of marketing for the music labels, it's just that they've never known that because there was no way to show them. Instead producers just used their music with no compensation. This is why the labels don't care about cheerleading.

Legitmix ensures the customer owns the original songs sampled in the mix before they can buy the cheer. If they don't then an iTunes link is provided so they can purchase them. Once the original songs are verified they are used to recreate the remix on your computer. This process complies with copyright thanks to fair-use, which gives you the right to remix music you own. It also ensures the original artists get credit for their work, and showcases how valuable cheerleading can be to the music labels. Over time this will help to build up relationships between the industries that will be beneficial to both sides. It also allows cheerleaders to use popular music for their cheers, and for the best producers to thrive and sell their work to more teams without worrying about getting sued and losing their business.

There are different licenses. Playing music at a venue (even a cheergym) requires a license in most cases. It's not just the fact that it is televised that requires a license (that just makes it more likely to be caught)

If you require an individual license to play each remixe at a gym wouldn't every nightclub in America get sued for playing remixes without getting a license for each one? That would be a way bigger market to go after than cheerleading.

Back