All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know that the change in the International age requirement will hurt some of the true international teams but the way it was a 14 year old girl could be on the same team as a 26 year old man, if we don't want 12 year olds with 18 year olds then I sure as heck don't want a 14 year old with someone in their 20s.

Here's my biggest issue with all of this. I'm going to use a team I'm familiar with as an example.
The new international age grid. From what I know, around half (possibly more) of Cheer Sport Great Whites are under 17. That gym (no offence to the girls in the gym) does not have the talent above 17 to create a team as competitive as the team is now. I can't speak to many other teams, but I do know that there are quite a few athletes between 14-17 that compete in international (at least here in Canada, Idk about the USA) because there are either not enough 17+ athletes to field a competitive open team, or not enough senior athletes to create a truly competitive senior 5 team, or both.

This is a huge legitimate issue. If my gym has to change the IOC team to 17+ we will not have enough people to maintain the team, and have too few under 17 year olds make a level 5....so we will have to bump them to 4, and lose all the over 19 athletes ....something we can't afford to do!!

I know that the change in the International age requirement will hurt some of the true international teams but the way it was a 14 year old girl could be on the same team as a 26 year old man, if we don't want 12 year old with 18 year olds then I sure as heck don't want a 14 year old with someone in their 20s.
But there is also no where for those talented 14 year olds to go.. no point in having a senior 5 team that won't go to worlds and cant compete in the states (this is referring mainly to canadian teams)

Abby Lee Miller's dancers wear Ugg boots at their competitions? They look a'fool - but for real whose going to enforce this?

We can't even keep Worlds bids out of the hands of teams using an an absorbent amount of crossovers to secure Worlds bids - but now we can enforce dress codes? Child please! Take on the Cheer Mothers of the World - I dare you!

I understand when extreme measures cause for emergency provisions, but when is the last time that an UGG boot caused a catastrophic injury? I'm confused.

Some big issues aside from the whole tumbling restrictions which I don't agree with (even by standards here in the UK)!
"Athletes with non-full top uniforms must wear a t-shirt"..so all day they should wear their uniform AND shirt in the Florida sunshine. Also, athletes should have their uniform on, zipped up, and look ready to compete...which one do they want?

"Males-minimize exaggerated or theatrical movememnts"..How is it okay to only aim this at one gender in this day and age?

"Hair should look natural"...anyone care to elaborate..are they refering to colour, cut, style. Who gets to decide what's natural? Are we supposed to roll out of bed in the morning, give it a quick brush and head onto the competition floor?

Even at aUK nationals this past weekend it was clearly demonstrated through tumbling skills how far the UK has come, there were standing fulls, bhs through to double fulls, specialty through to doubles and no significant injuries on the floor. Surely if the UK who are years behind the USA in terms of tumbling skills can compete these safely, it is not an issue. I appreciate the need to cap tumbling skills in terms of standing double fulls and for safety reasons, but surely this is TOO far.

But there is also no where for those talented 14 year olds to go.. no point in having a senior 5 team that won't go to worlds and cant compete in the states (this is referring mainly to canadian teams)

They have the opportunity to enter the senior divisions. This will force some of those teams to trim off the few athletes they have that are over 18 and enter the senior divisions. People have complained about no true international teams in the senior division for years.

If a 12 year old can't compete with an 18 year old then a 14 year old doesn't need to be with someone over the age of 18 either. I actually would have rather had the level 5 international divisions be 16, but I think 17 is just as good.

Latest posts

Back