All-Star Usasf Release Waiver For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From my understanding, the gym in question not releasing the athlete had valid reasons not to and the USASF agrees. I know there are two sides to every story, but from the one side I did hear - I wouldn't release the said athlete either.

some gym owners need to realize that they are running a service that people pay them for and if you are harmful and disrespectful to someones child that does not deserve it in the least bit it will eventually spread like wild fire and you will no longer have a business eventually bc you are providing bad customer service.

and when it comes down to it the usasf is Suppost to be in place to protect the athletes in our sport so they need to step in and do what's right for this

What does "suppost" mean?

To be honest I was obviously not there when the situation occured for which he was asked to leave so I truly cannot say for sure. Like you all I know is what I hear.. And to me I don't think the side I heard is enough to not release. But either way it doesn't matter what our opinions are as it is not up to us at all. I for one am happy to say that my cp's gym has exercised their right to release all athletes that have asked for it. I can sleep well knowing my gym has not crushed the hopes and dreams of any child.

I think its funny that some people posting in here are one of the reasons the rule was even created.

I don't understand having a valid reason to not release a CP, unless it's financial! It's like saying this CP makes or breaks your gym! What's w/the vendetta????

Well our athletes former gym is teaching them a lesson. :-/

Heres my take on the rule... I feel old for saying this... but kids these days have NO SENSE of respect, responsibilities, or realizations of consequences. I know for a fact, that kids under my watch do not have to be concerned with safety. With that said, if you want to leave my program - You can come to me as a mature adult and schedule a meeting. From there, I will sit down with you, your parents, and perhaps my gym owner. I will hear you out on why you want to leave and why you want a release. For example; you say "I want to leave because I feel like I am being picked on and I don't get a long with the team." Valid reason to leave I guess (even tho I would have hoped you figured this all out over the summer and before our first competition). From there I would ask you and your family a chance to try and make it right. Lets say I set a trial date of two weeks. We meet again two weeks later and if you still feel the same - I would release you. It was done in a professional manner, you learned a great life lesson of how to handle problems professionally, and my guess if you will leave my gym with no hard feelings and vice versa. However, Level 5 kids thinking that they run the world, can leave if they aren't in front, can act however they want because you think you are so good and will god own the street to my competitor. THAT, my friend, is not a respectful way to leave your program. I don't think it would be right for to go in to my boss at my day job, cuss at them, throw a temper tantrum, tell them how much I hate it, and ask them to rip up my non compete contract. Kids (mostly Level 5) need to be more courteous to their teammates and find some commitment. If it truly isn't working out - one of a few things happened -

1. You used poor judgement in deciding which gym to cheer at. You had tryouts in May and in January you want to quit? 7 months into it? Really? You only have 3-4 months left. You already stayed 7, whats a few more?

2. YOU may have dug your own grave. Were you disrespectful? Did you do something to harm a teammate and now the team hates you?

Life has consequences.

With that said - I do think the USASF is dumb. However, what I think is EVEN MORE DUMB is that the USASF made a rule and doesn't allow an appeals process. I will now step off my soap box - but to kids and parents whining about not being released.... My guess is you didnt handle the situations the right way or you don't deserve to get released....

I'm not necessarily in favor of a blacklist created as a list. But as we saw in the past day - a situation was posted, it was talked through, the truth came out. Your network on and off the boards is pretty strong. This is a place where it can be discussed, but we know it isn't the only place it is discussed. And you also know if a gym you name here isn't at fault, you will be called on it. Fair all around.

This does send a message that has been stated here on several threads that these gym policies are things that should be checked out thoroughly before tryouts. Not 8 months into the season.

And I don't believe any rule should come without an appeals process in a democratic society. Oh wait, the answer there was once again "USASF doesn't have time, resources or money to allow appeals". Then don't make the rule.

How do you like this situation:
A gym owner known for not signing releases just last night replaced an athlete (who had been with the team for the whole season) for someone "better" who was kicked off their former team for behavior issues. Now what is this athlete/parent to do? How are they to react? It's too late to join another team (as most teams are closed) this late in the season (well besides this gyms). Why is it that the athlete is stuck to this place unless released by the gym owner but they can take your money and toss the athlete to the wind when they want. Not fair JMO!!!

I understand the whole release issue and I too think that there is two sides to every story, but this is a totally different situation. My question is what is the fairness in this rule when the above situation can be done to an athlete? What is a parent to do when you have done everything right and PAID all of your fees and your athlete is tossed to the wind this late in the season? What is your recourse beside wanting to give gym owner a beatdown?

Heres my take on the rule... I feel old for saying this... but kids these days have NO SENSE of respect, responsibilities, or realizations of consequences. I know for a fact, that kids under my watch do not have to be concerned with safety. With that said, if you want to leave my program - You can come to me as a mature adult and schedule a meeting. From there, I will sit down with you, your parents, and perhaps my gym owner. I will hear you out on why you want to leave and why you want a release. For example; you say "I want to leave because I feel like I am being picked on and I don't get a long with the team." Valid reason to leave I guess (even tho I would have hoped you figured this all out over the summer and before our first competition). From there I would ask you and your family a chance to try and make it right. Lets say I set a trial date of two weeks. We meet again two weeks later and if you still feel the same - I would release you. It was done in a professional manner, you learned a great life lesson of how to handle problems professionally, and my guess if you will leave my gym with no hard feelings and vice versa. However, Level 5 kids thinking that they run the world, can leave if they aren't in front, can act however they want because you think you are so good and will god own the street to my competitor. THAT, my friend, is not a respectful way to leave your program. I don't think it would be right for to go in to my boss at my day job, cuss at them, throw a temper tantrum, tell them how much I hate it, and ask them to rip up my non compete contract. Kids (mostly Level 5) need to be more courteous to their teammates and find some commitment. If it truly isn't working out - one of a few things happened -

1. You used poor judgement in deciding which gym to cheer at. You had tryouts in May and in January you want to quit? 7 months into it? Really? You only have 3-4 months left. You already stayed 7, whats a few more?

2. YOU may have dug your own grave. Were you disrespectful? Did you do something to harm a teammate and now the team hates you?

Life has consequences.

With that said - I do think the USASF is dumb. However, what I think is EVEN MORE DUMB is that the USASF made a rule and doesn't allow an appeals process. I will now step off my soap box - but to kids and parents whining about not being released.... My guess is you didnt handle the situations the right way or you don't deserve to get released....

I understand what you are saying...but that's the parents issue not yours! If that parent wants to waste money and let thier child act out, then let the parent deal with it! It won't stop just because you don't release that CP! That type of behavior is far beyond cheerleading, lol.

I just don't see the point in holding a child up from leaving unless it's financial! Yes it will affect the rest of the team, but a good coach can fix that one hole in the pattern! A team that my CP was on several years ago lost a girl 2 days b4 a major national! It was a big blow up! The coach ended up calling in another young lady, they added an additional practice, and went out that wknd and won! And guess who was looking stupid??? The CP that was replaced went to school w/the girl that replaced her. She was quiet upset about seeing this young lady come in and w/in 2 days win her jacket!

I just got wind of two kids that are looking to join new programs that have removed the gym that will not release our athlete from their list. We are a large but widespread cheer community and there are other successful programs for these kids to choose from. I have also heard that some kids that are considering heading to the gym in question will ask for their release waivers ahead of time and if they won’t sign they won’t join.

I just got wind of two kids that are looking to join new programs that have removed the gym that will not release our athlete from their list. We are a large but widespread cheer community and there are other successful programs for these kids to choose from. I have also heard that some kids that are considering heading to the gym in question will ask for their release waivers ahead of time and if they won’t sign they won’t join.

I have tried to stay away from this thread (besides the one post) because it really just frustrates me because I look at all the negatives of it. BUT I have actually wondered how many athletes have thought about this. Sure they may not ever leave their gym, but they have a release signed incase they decide to. I feel like it defeats the purpose of the rule, but at the same time if you know that the gym has a history of not releasing athletes that aren't happy it may cover your back if you too feel like you aren't safe or happy within the gym.

I still approve of the spirit of the rule- keeping people from gym-hopping just because 'the grass is greener, or cheaper to cut'. Kids DO come off with an air of 'I can do what I want because I'm level 5', and by allowing them to float around as they choose, they learn nothing of consequences and responsibility. THAT BEING SAID, I can see a few instances where releases might be granted by USASF: safety, inappropriate conduct, safety, shady business practices, safety, etc. However, I do still think it's the athletes responsibility to check ahead of time about their gyms release protocal- this rule wasn't new this year. Last year I could understand some chaos and confusion, but you ALL knew what you were up against. The time to ask? At tryout time when things are still sunshine and roses. And you get that in writing, that a release waiver will be granted except in issues of financial hardship, at which point a release will be granted after it has been paid in full. I don't set up my roommate agreement when we're shouting at each other about not doing the dishes or because their cat claws up the new sofa, I do it when we still like each other. My problem with the 'being kicked out thing'- kids will notice that if they act up enough, they can get 'kicked out' of the gym and therefore go release-free without having to worry. And if you think they won't, you have no idea :p

Back