All-Star Usasf Routine Interruption

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First off I wanted to come on here and publicly eat my words and possible even apologize and say I was wrong. :oops: On the Cali Aces thread I really gave it to USASF and said they wouldn't do a thing about this. I'm a big enough person to admit when I'm wrong, so here it is: I was wrong. It's really nice to see this issue was addressed so quickly after that incident. Even if we can nitpick the recommendations to death, at least something was said and done to at least try to prevent this from happening.

On a side note, omgitssydthekid ummmmm... why is someone with OI doing cheerleading????? I understand parents wanting their child to feel "normal" and allowing them to participate in activities with other kids, but seriously? A dangerous sport like cheerleading is NOT the place for that. Shame on whoever allowed that to happen. I try not to question other people's parenting, but that post just really rubbed me the wrong way.
That's really cool that you posted this.

I know everyone has their own opinion of the USASF and the decisions our governing body makes. But the people involved in those decisions love the sport and the athletes every bit as much as the people on these boards :cheering:

I guess maybe if they signal to stop it? Even just putting a hand up like they need help? Idk
When you said that I pictured the DJ stopping the music 30x's by accident because he thought he saw "the signal." They would definitely need to come up with something distinct...like the universal signal for choking!! But the DJ not listening or paying attention to a coach who's telling them to stop the music is downright dangerous in itself...so many outside factors we have to worry about with our athletes!!!!

At all competitions I've ever attended the guy(s) running the music table are most definitely paying attention. I've never seen one chatting/texting/etc while doing his job. Maybe it's the events we attend?

What else are they doing besides their job?

So basically you think we'd wind up like this sport? :p

lofr1.gif

ahhh-my-face.gif

1277496422531i1sy.gif

34qjnrd.gif

First off I wanted to come on here and publicly eat my words and possible even apologize and say I was wrong. :oops: On the Cali Aces thread I really gave it to USASF and said they wouldn't do a thing about this. I'm a big enough person to admit when I'm wrong, so here it is: I was wrong. It's really nice to see this issue was addressed so quickly after that incident. Even if we can nitpick the recommendations to death, at least something was said and done to at least try to prevent this from happening.

On a side note, omgitssydthekid ummmmm... why is someone with OI doing cheerleading????? I understand parents wanting their child to feel "normal" and allowing them to participate in activities with other kids, but seriously? A dangerous sport like cheerleading is NOT the place for that. Shame on whoever allowed that to happen. I try not to question other people's parenting, but that post just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Then don't. I don't mean to sound crass, but it's really not fair to judge other people and their parenting skills. EVERYONE makes mistakes parenting and don't deserve to be judged for it. Heck, there are so many things that seem perfectly "normal", "moral", "fine", etc. to some people, but not others. It wouldn't be right for me to judge your parenting skills bc I disagree w/what you consider "normal" and/or "acceptable". We don't know the entire situation and I feel like it's so much easier for people to criticize others w/o knowing all of the facts, and even then it's not up to us to judge them. The only situation where I feel it's acceptable is if you have good reason to believe a child is in TRUE danger (like being physically, sexually, or verbally abused, and/or neglected) and even then it's not about judging parental skills as much as it is getting a child help.

I'm sorry..I just don't like it when people are this judgmental towards others. If you had worded it like the other poster did; the one who said she was surprised to see that situation, but also made room for another possibility, I could respect your opinion or concern more. I see this a lot on this board- parents making assumptions and judgments about others (many of them towards other parents on the board). I guess maybe I was raised differently... I dunno.

So basically you think we'd wind up like this sport? :p

lofr1.gif

ahhh-my-face.gif

1277496422531i1sy.gif

34qjnrd.gif
While these made me laugh, I did wonder about faking an injury to stop a routine when I read the new Rule Interruption guidelines. Does an unscrupulous coach (*gasp those exist?*) teach a team or an athlete that if 3 out of 5 opening stunts fall, you hit the floor feigning an injury in order to give themselves a chance to stop, regroup and go back on? I understand that the original stunts that fell would count, but stopping and regrouping might change the whole outcome of the rest of the routine as well. What happens if a team is found to fake an injury? Are there any penalties already in place or will this be a "let's see if this happens" situation?

While these made me laugh, I did wonder about faking an injury to stop a routine when I read the new Rule Interruption guidelines. Does an unscrupulous coach (*gasp those exist?*) teach a team or an athlete that if 3 out of 5 opening stunts fall, you hit the floor feigning an injury in order to give themselves a chance to stop, regroup and go back on? I understand that the original stunts that fell would count, but stopping and regrouping might change the whole outcome of the rest of the routine as well. What happens if a team is found to fake an injury? Are there any penalties already in place or will this be a "let's see if this happens" situation?
I do NOT think this happens often enough to warrant it's own separate penalty for faking an injury. It's easier to treat each team fairly and not put ourselves in a situation where we are second guessing the motives of an athlete/coach. And God forbid we interpret the circumstance wrong (which someone would) and penalize an ethically sound issue.

This process is the best in that forces a team to endure consistent guidelines. If someone does so poorly that they interrupt their own routine, it's likely they have already taken themselves out of the running.

Then don't. I don't mean to sound crass, but it's really not fair to judge other people and their parenting skills. EVERYONE makes mistakes parenting and don't deserve to be judged for it. Heck, there are so many things that seem perfectly "normal", "moral", "fine", etc. to some people, but not others. It wouldn't be right for me to judge your parenting skills bc I disagree w/what you consider "normal" and/or "acceptable". We don't know the entire situation and I feel like it's so much easier for people to criticize others w/o knowing all of the facts, and even then it's not up to us to judge them. The only situation where I feel it's acceptable is if you have good reason to believe a child is in TRUE danger (like being physically, sexually, or verbally abused, and/or neglected) and even then it's not about judging parental skills as much as it is getting a child help.

I'm sorry..I just don't like it when people are this judgmental towards others. If you had worded it like the other poster did; the one who said she was surprised to see that situation, but also made room for another possibility, I could respect your opinion or concern more. I see this a lot on this board- parents making assumptions and judgments about others (many of them towards other parents on the board). I guess maybe I was raised differently... I dunno.

Oh for God's sake I'm not getting into another argument with you. Can't you just put me on ignore or something? I'd say that at this point (after 2 years) it's fairly obvious that we are just not going to agree on anything, ever. As for being raised differently? Yes, I'd say you and I were definitely raised differently. (And in stating that you "guess maybe you were raised differently" after you basically spent 2 HUGE paragraphs telling me about how I have no right to question someone's parenting...aren't you questioning my parents' parenting???)

And you are one of the most judgmental people on the boards (not saying I'm not, I just know who I am) so your whole post is kinda the pot calling the kettle black - are you really trying to say you've never made assumptions or judgments about others on here? I'm actually LOLing at that.

PS...I don't actually care if you "respect my opinion or concern more". You never have before today, why should you start now?

(Sorry to everyone else - I should have PMed that. But I was woken up at 8am on a Saturday by TWO texts telling me to come on here and reply to her, so I'm still coffee-less. I'll use PM in the future.)

(Sorry to everyone else - I should have PMed that. But I was woken up at 8am on a Saturday by TWO texts telling me to come on here and reply to her, so I'm still coffee-less. I'll use PM in the future.)
Oh good lord...the day I ever wake up and feel the need to come on the Internet to "defend" or respond to a comment from someone whose opinion means jack squat to me is the day I log out and never come back. It's just the Internet for crying out loud. I don't put you on ignore bc I can handle the Internet like a grown up and other people's opinions-even if I don't agree with them or they dislike me. If my opinion doesn't bother you I don't see why you had to respond to it first thing when you got up. :confused:

I have opinions and thoughts just the same as you and if you post about other people, offer judgments or opinions, then it's open for discussion in my book. I think that's fair game.

FWIW, when I said maybe we were raised differently, it had nothing to do w/being condescending. You know how some people were raised not to "talk about" money, politics, or religion....or how some people were raised to say "yes ma'am and no ma'am, etc.? That's what I meant. The example that popped in my head at the moment I typed that was a personal one. My parents raised us not to question, talk about, etc. the way other people raised their kids. As in, they don't even do it to us. My father doesn't believe in imposing what he deems to be "the right way" to parent upon us. However, this is not true of my husband's family. They will tell you what they think you should do regardless; they will openly disagree w/the way you parent, they will offer unsolicited advice, etc. So no, it wasn't a "stab" at you. I literally meant maybe we were raised differently bc my husband's family was raised differently than mine regarding this exact issue. I really wish you would stop being so instantly combative.

And I'm sorry you feel that way (about me being judgmental). I don't feel that I am, but to each his own.
smiley_shrug%5B1%5D.gif

Why wasn't Top Gun Large Coed's routine halted today at Cheersport? There was a very clear injury in the opening of the routine & the athlete was clearly unable to continue.

Before anyone says "he just dislocated his shoulder, it wasn't a dangerous injury" let me just share a few facts on shoulder dislocation and how dangerous one can be. A dislocated shoulder can cause the muscles, ligaments, or tendons connected to your shoulder to tear. A dislocation can also lead to nerve or blood vessel damage in or around the shoulder. If the arm is not immobilized the risk of more serious injury greatly rises as movement continues.

Is this not the exact situation the USASF released the Routine Interruption recommendation to prevent? Yet not one Coach, Judge, EP Official, or USASF Safety Judge stopped the routine.

This response from Varsity on Twitter really shocked me, is safety not more important than a Worlds Bid?
w7bkh0.png

Video Link:

Why wasn't Top Gun Large Coed's routine halted today at Cheersport? There was a very clear injury in the opening of the routine & the athlete was clearly unable to continue.

Before anyone says "he just dislocated his shoulder, it wasn't a dangerous injury" let me just share a few facts on shoulder dislocation and how dangerous one can be. A dislocated shoulder can cause the muscles, ligaments, or tendons connected to your shoulder to tear. A dislocation can also lead to nerve or blood vessel damage in or around the shoulder. If the arm is not immobilized the risk of more serious injury greatly rises as movement continues.

Is this not the exact situation the USASF released the Routine Interruption recommendation to prevent? Yet not one Coach, Judge, EP Official, or USASF Safety Judge stopped the routine.

This response from Varsity on Twitter really shocked me, is safety not more important than a Worlds Bid?
w7bkh0.png

Video Link:

First of all, I hope the poor guy is okay and that the medics were able to simply pop it back into place once he got off the mat.

Second of all, the fact that this routine continued in it's entirety is frightening to me. His injury was not subtle; one shoulder was clearly lower that the other and he was obviously in pain. The fact that he still even tried to base at one point with his one good arm scared the crap out of me; you could see how unstable that flyer was and fortunately no one else was hurt by his efforts to continue the routine despite his inability to safely base his flyer.

Saying that he made the right choice to continue and the coach made the right call not to stop the routine because the outcome was a paid bid is ridiculous. It implies that the safety of all the athletes on that mat, injured and non-injured, and all athletes who cheer actually, is 100% secondary to winning. I thought that was what was the USASF trying to avoid by making actual rules for Routine Interruption.

Back