All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So basically we should just stay in Disney from Worlds through this comp.
Too bad alot of us have school. And it would be expensive.
Oh hey! Maybe thats why Varsity is doing this... for the Money!
:rolleyes:

Does anybody else just see this as a HUGE expense? I am all for recognizing and rewarding the lower levels (i coach level 2 & 3), but even if you give some kind of money it's not going to be anywhere close. then of course a parent has to come & will have to pay. and as we all know - Disney is NOT cheap! we already did our schedule and we always put only 1 flying national - NCA this year! even if we were lucky enough to win a bid, i dont think our parents would be too happy having to dish out all that money for a Florida trip also.
Trying to be open minded about this. guess i will have to see how it all pans out, but cant help but feel that this is just another money maker....

We can't justify the expense for this. I would rather send my kids to Cheersport, NCA, or Jamfest Supernationals than take them to Indy for the WSA Qualifier in hopes of getting a bid and then taking them to Disney which I think is a cool idea for a vacation but a bit pricey for a competition. Plus, if I take into consideration all the issues with seating at Worlds, I am not sure I want to drag our families to Florida at that expense if that's the venue they can expect. It's a cool idea, but it's not logical for us.

This is scheduled for a week after Worlds, correct?
If so, then I think this will actually help a little bit with the Worlds over crowding!

Our season is over in April and even then it's try out times. I wouldn't want all that pushed back for this even though I would LOVE to go!

Curious to know how you think it will help with the overcrowding.

My thought was that there will be an additional 400 teams in Orlando with several saying, "hey, let's go early and watch Worlds."

Most schools are still in session so I see several parents who have athletes that will compete at this competition opt to not attend worlds. Not only would going for both cost you a lot more money, but the kids would then be out of school longer. If they a weekend there is expensive, a week there is even more.

Curious to know how you think it will help with the overcrowding.My thought was that there will be an additional 400 teams in Orlando with several saying, "hey, let's go early and watch Worlds."

• Not sure how it is everywhere, but for my sister here in SC there is a VERY strict number of absences allowed. By the end of competition season she normally uses her last few "allowed absences" on Worlds. Cheerleading competitions are what completely take up her absences already, so for her it would be Worlds vs. Summit and if she was competing at the Summit, that would be the mandatory and obvious choice!
  • Also on the money side (for spectators), Worlds is EXPENSIVE. We have it easier than most also because we are able to drive here! There is no way my mom would pay for us to drive down and watch worlds (admission fees, hotel etc.) and then pay again the next weekend to the Summit (admission fees, competitor fees, hotel fees). Plus Disney itself is expensive, so on top of watching both competitions, if someone were to make a week long vacation out of it they would be paying all of the above plus the disney visitors fees (and possibly plane rides)
  • And lastly, i would like to think that any/most teams competing at the Summit would be practicing the week before!
This only applies to competitors of the Summit who watch Worlds, but with the numbers of fans this year i believe it would be a good number

They had regional competitions where bids were announced, but they had a whole video selection thing as well, this last year. I don't know, it seemed fishy to me, the bids were announced after the deposits were due.

ETA: at least here, I don't know when the regional comps began...so I have only info on here.
Our 5 went to UCA last year and didn't need any sort of bid. We had to go to a regional UCA championship and merely hit their qualifying score on the scoresheet. If you got at least the qualifying score you were able to go to Nationals. That's how I understood it. They certainly didn't announce any bids at the one we went to and we never had a bid of any kind.

Our 5 went to UCA last year and didn't need any sort of bid. We had to go to a regional UCA championship and merely hit their qualifying score on the scoresheet. If you got at least the qualifying score you were able to go to Nationals. That's how I understood it. They certainly didn't announce any bids at the one we went to and we never had a bid of any kind.

Yes, that's a better way to put it, you have to qualify. Not everyone qualifies, but very few don't. In years past they'd announce scores like "and in 5th place, with a bid to UCA Nationals at Disney....".

• Not sure how it is everywhere, but for my sister here in SC there is a VERY strict number of absences allowed. By the end of competition season she normally uses her last few "allowed absences" on Worlds. Cheerleading competitions are what completely take up her absences already, so for her it would be Worlds vs. Summit and if she was competing at the Summit, that would be the mandatory and obvious choice!
  • Also on the money side (for spectators), Worlds is EXPENSIVE. We have it easier than most also because we are able to drive here! There is no way my mom would pay for us to drive down and watch worlds (admission fees, hotel etc.) and then pay again the next weekend to the Summit (admission fees, competitor fees, hotel fees). Plus Disney itself is expensive, so on top of watching both competitions, if someone were to make a week long vacation out of it they would be paying all of the above plus the disney visitors fees (and possibly plane rides)
  • And lastly, i would like to think that any/most teams competing at the Summit would be practicing the week before!
This only applies to competitors of the Summit who watch Worlds, but with the numbers of fans this year i believe it would be a good number

I agree with all of the points that you made. Thanks for elaborating.

Back