All-Star Worlds Espn

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
So wanting to relive the worlds experience and watch it on ESPN. Well frown face from me when u realize all the music has been replaced with generic cheer music... Even Bring It On music would have been better... This copyright issue is really getting to me and then I wonder.... Is this a preview of the music we will come to expect this season?!? Oh goodness help us all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only the slip n slides were shown. The other 10 divisions don't matter to USASF.

Disclaimer first - I have been out of the business for years so I may be way off with the following---

I think it has to do with the financial arrangement of the "ESPN coverage". If this were a real sporting event by ESPN standards the coverage would be different. But if say you "pay" for coverage (via advertisers or other or a combo) then it is like you are "hiring" them... so what do you do to keep your costs down/profit up? I view Worlds on ESPN as nothing more than an infomercial. How many people know about/got into cheer after seeing "those cheerleader crazy flip things they show on ESPN?"

Disclaimer first - I have been out of the business for years so I may be way off with the following---

I think it has to do with the financial arrangement of the "ESPN coverage". If this were a real sporting event by ESPN standards the coverage would be different. But if say you "pay" for coverage (via advertisers or other or a combo) then it is like you are "hiring" them... so what do you do to keep your costs down/profit up? I view Worlds on ESPN as nothing more than an infomercial. How many people know about/got into cheer after seeing "those cheerleader crazy flip things they show on ESPN?"

Right. World's on ESPN isn't for the cheer world, it's for the rest of the world. And most times people don't want to try to follow something complicated like following the 10 or so divisions so USASF cuts it down to the 2 smallest divisions and the two divisions that are the most visual that will keep people watching. You can only keep people's attention for so long and you can only feed them a certain amount of information until it becomes too hard to follow and they will decide to change the channel. It's all about the most bang for the buck for the short time that they have and keeping the viewers interested.

I don't think it's really anything personal. It's just business. And business can't be personal if it wants to be successful.

I understand how it all works, but don't think for a minute that U$A$F doesn't intentionally advertise it to the public, athletes and parents as full coverage of the Cheerleading Worlds when they know damn well it will only be the large teams. I hope less of us watch next year.

We were one of those families. CP was three when she found Worlds on the TV :) Little did I know our whole world changed in that moment.

So wanting to relive the worlds experience and watch it on ESPN. Well frown face from me when u realize all the music has been replaced with generic cheer music... Even Bring It On music would have been better... This copyright issue is really getting to me and then I wonder.... Is this a preview of the music we will come to expect this season?!? Oh goodness help us all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, it very well could be a relatively accurate preview. Especially now that even using covers of existing songs is illegal (or so I have heard), it is going to extremely difficult for many teams to get good mixes because everything has to be original and, therefore, way more expensive than before... At least that is the way I look at it.

I must admit, ESPN is doing cheerleading a great service when reaching the public... I got my first exposure to AS Cheer because of its once yearly televising of NCA, UCA and Worlds and got a somewhat understanding of cheer as a sport, as opposed to the PomPoms and DCC. Furthermore, once my daughter chose this sport, I noticed when talking and describing the sport to outsiders, once I mentioned the cheerleaders on EPSN these people are impressed by the athleticism and actually understand AS Cheer...

Tbh, watching the televised WCSS routine without Lady Gaga's music just did not make sense at all... Otherwise, the tribute loss all its meaning! Thank goodness, WCSS were able to use their Jersey Boys music last year...

I've never heard anyone promise that the ESPN airings of NCA, UCA or Worlds was anything close to a complete viewing of all divisions or even one division. It's amusing to me every year when people wish it would be or think it should have been different.

I've also never seen anyone involved in this production describe how they decide what divisions get coverage so it's equally amusing the different theories that are provided by people not involved in any television production, let alone this broadcast.

Back