All-Star You Hate To Hear...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a coach

"I went to do the doctor today, and he said I'm out for ____ weeks. Here's the note."

This happened ALL THE TIME during my high school season this past year. Sometimes, you're going to come home with a sore wrist or ankle. They tell their parents who automatically rush them to the doctor the next day. Obviously, the doctor finds something wrong....that's their job, and tells them they need to sit for a certain number of weeks. SO ANNOYING. I fully understand needing to go to the doctor, but don't just go for every little bump or bruise. I cheered with a girl my senior year who every time she would bust a tumbling pass or get hit by a flyer (which was about every day) she would roll up into the orthopedist the next morning and come to practice sadly proclaiming saying she was "out". Without fail. OBVIOUSLY THE DOCTOR TOLD YOU TO REST IT. In the middle of competition season, you don't get that option, sorry.

Yeah well I cheer on a pain condition which causes me to be unable to walk and with both arms constantly strapped to stop the Rsi and tennis elbow I have from pushing my chair around from getting to me, sometimes you Just gotta man up ;)

My back spot Jayme is often acclaimed for the time she hit the comp floor with a fracture in one wrist and the opposite ankle, did her tumbled run and everything! She'd put off going to the doctors till after comp cause she knew he'd take her out of the routine.

That said, proper health and safety and adherence to the opinions of medical professionals is always advisable, just gotta make sure they don't just say rest as a matter of course and consider that you're an athlete.

What is that 1 word or phrase you hate to hear at practice? I know that if you ask our kids it's "FULL-OUT"! When I competed that was the 1 word that gave me a sick feeling in my stomach!

As a coach I hate to hear: "I CAN'T"

So coaches, gym owners, athletes, Parents, what is it for you that you hate to hear?

I don't like to join Facebook groups but there was one that I absolutely had to as a cheerleader... "When I hear the words "full out" at practice, I die a little inside" hahaha

And I competely agree as a coach the worlds "I can't" I used to make my cheerleaders say instead, "I can, but it's very difficult at the moment... which is why I'm asking my coach for help." :)

I don't like to join Facebook groups but there was one that I absolutely had to as a cheerleader... "When I hear the words "full out" at practice, I die a little inside" hahaha

And I competely agree as a coach the worlds "I can't" I used to make my cheerleaders say instead, "I can, but it's very difficult at the moment... which is why I'm asking my coach for help." :)

I absolutely love this.

my gym has a huge thing about "i cant" and "stupid". after saying it we have to condition and we learn to actually find ways to get around it. like im not good at it or im not able to yet...its actually helped alot of our mental cases in tumbling...i know i have said it a couple times and i didnt land my skills....after not saying it and trying to keep a positive attitude and belive that i can do it...my tumbling got alot better....CANT should not be in any cheerleaders vocab..!

"One more time" because on my team, that means we're about 234987 times away from finishing.

I know my kids hate this one. Now when I say" one more time!" they say " You know its not going to be one more time!" so now I have taken to saying" one more time, RIGHT!" and then when its wrong I can say, it wasnt done right!;)

" set it up." Is just bad. Lol Its just another way of saying full out. Another phrase is.. " run it again " ugh. Horrible! Lol

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Back