All-Star Young Kids On Higher Levels And Older Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know ya'll J5 is really competitive but I don't see why they would turn down a little flier like that, especially one that has such a gift for tumbling. The smaller she is the higher she goes. The only con I see is that young kids spending too much time around older girls sometimes leads to them growing up to fast. For example, I know ten and eleven year olds who are very talented fliers and therefore have been with older kids since they were a young age. As a result, these girls wear make-up every day, straighten their hair, and overall act much older than they are. This can be good and bed. In one way, they are very mature and behave well, on the other hand, I feel like they got robbed of their childhood a little. Also, another problem i notice is that the older girls (bases) tend not to censor themselves around the younger ones. I've had to tell girls to please stop talking about what you did with your boyfriend last weekend, there are young ears around. Best of luck to her!

I agree with being around the older girls may not always be the best idea. I have thought about that. She is working so hard! Thanks so much for your feedback!

I'm actually a big fan of keeping kids on age-appropriate teams when at all possible, and our program's pretty big on that as well. I've seen it too often in soccer where kids are pushed to play against older kids and it rarely turns out well. The coaches at our gym have had the same experience. I do accept the fact that some kids are prodigies and need to participate on teams with far older athletes, however.

I'm actually a big fan of keeping kids on age-appropriate teams when at all possible, and our program's pretty big on that as well. I've seen it too often in soccer where kids are pushed to play against older kids and it rarely turns out well. The coaches at our gym have had the same experience. I do accept the fact that some kids are prodigies and need to participate on teams with far older athletes, however.

I respect that too! I was very nervous when they placed her on jr level the first time! Some good and bad things come out of it. I like that she stays with her peers too.

The only thing I suggest is, to try to get her on a team with kids around her age, even if she won't get to use all of her skills. But it seems like your gym did a great job of that this season, so it shouldn't be a issue next season.

Agree with trying to keep her on a tream with same age level. My CP (13 now) has typically been one of the youngest on his senior teams and it was very tough for him the first couple of years as the older kids did not know how to take him so he was always the outsider. But he also crossed over to lower levels on the junior teams and it it was a night and day difference on how he interacted with that team compared to the older kids. Funny part though is that some of the older kids he used to really annoy are off to college now and he stays in touch with them and gets invited to visit them when home.

But he also crossed over to lower levels on the junior teams and it it was a night and day difference on how he interacted with that team compared to the older kids.

Mine too. I think it's important, especially when you have a child that accels at something, to allow them the opportunity to interact with those in their age group. I see a huge smile on my cp's face at her youth team practices and I see progression and tenacity at her senior team practices. Both are important, but each team gives her joy in a different way.

My cp has been on a Junior team since she was 8, now she is 12. I never thought it could get any better, until last year. She was on both a Junior and Youth 5 team. Her experience on the Youth team was awesome, because she was with her peers. This is one reason why I like crossing-over to another team. Good luck to Fameous MoM! Your daughter seems to be talented, and I'm sure her coaches will place her where they sees it's best.

Does your gym let children with advanced skills move to older teams? For instance my cp just turned 9 and is on a mini 2, Youth 3, and a junior 4 team. What are the pros and cons? My cp has learned alot on her Junior 4 team as far as flying goes and also has learned to stay focused more.

My cp really wants to make our J5 team(they are an amazing squad) this coming season. She is working hard on her level 5 skills- she lands her double sometimes, has a punchfront through to a full, jumps to tuck(90%of the time) and she is working her 3 to a full. As far as flying she loves it and I have no doubt she could fly level 5. The only problem is that I don't think she willmake it this season. She is very young and we have so much talent in the gym that I think she will not get there this year. I have talked to her many times about this but everytime she gets a new skill the first thing she says is maybe I will make it now. I don't want to crush her dreams but I also don't want to set her up for dissappointment. I have told her that if she does not make a level 5 team that I will pay to have her do an individual so she can use her skills. Any help would be great!!!

She sounds like she is doing great and has level 5 skills. One thing I can tell you being that your gym is so competitive is make sure she works really hard on jumps to tuck so that she lands them 100% of the time. That can possibly be the deciding factor on what team she is placed on. Hope it all works out well for her and good luck no matter what team she makes :)

OK I wasn't going to chime in on this, since I have never experienced it. However, I will chime in anyway...because that's what I do. :p I'll only address the age issue, since that's the only part I know anything about.

***First off, she's already on a Junior team--so the age issue is kind of a moot point anyway.

Secondly, Fame has 9 year olds on Juniors all the time (I don't know about J5 because that wasn't out of our gym, but I would assume they have them on there too since it's their lowest age range for Level 5)--so she won't be alone with a bunch of 14 year olds. The 14 year olds are all up on seniors already.

I know every time this subject comes up people talk a lot about keeping kids with kids their own age--I don't think this applies to a Junior level team. Fame has a gazillion Level 5 teams, so I think most kids over 12 are going to be on a senior team.

And lastly, in this particular case, even I have heard of the girl we're talking about--and I was in a different Fame location (I saw on the pageant thread who your daughter is in case you're wondering, FM :)). She's got the skills, and I'm sure she already knows a LOT of the people that will be on this upcoming J5 team. It's not as though Fameous MOM is trying to throw her on a team of 14 year old strangers. I have a feeling it will be some girls she's already cheering with this year.

Fameous MOM--I say good luck, and I think she'll make it. Sounds like you have the right attitude and are preparing her and helping her stay grounded despite all this talent at a young age. I think she'll be fine whether they move her up or she stays where she is.

@Just-a-Mom For the record, my statement was meant as a general rule and qualified with the statement that there are prodigies at gyms that need to compete on higher-level teams. And until they day they sanction mini 2.5...

OK I wasn't going to chime in on this, since I have never experienced it. However, I will chime in anyway...because that's what I do. :p I'll only address the age issue, since that's the only part I know anything about.

***First off, she's already on a Junior team--so the age issue is kind of a moot point anyway.

Secondly, Fame has 9 year olds on Juniors all the time (I don't know about J5 because that wasn't out of our gym, but I would assume they have them on there too since it's their lowest age range for Level 5)--so she won't be alone with a bunch of 14 year olds. The 14 year olds are all up on seniors already.

I know every time this subject comes up people talk a lot about keeping kids with kids their own age--I don't think this applies to a Junior level team. Fame has a gazillion Level 5 teams, so I think most kids over 12 are going to be on a senior team.

And lastly, in this particular case, even I have heard of the girl we're talking about--and I was in a different Fame location (I saw on the pageant thread who your daughter is in case you're wondering, FM :)). She's got the skills, and I'm sure she already knows a LOT of the people that will be on this upcoming J5 team. It's not as though Fameous MOM is trying to throw her on a team of 14 year old strangers. I have a feeling it will be some girls she's already cheering with this year.

Fameous MOM--I say good luck, and I think she'll make it. Sounds like you have the right attitude and are preparing her and helping her stay grounded despite all this talent at a young age. I think she'll be fine whether they move her up or she stays where she is.

Thanks for your kind words! I love being able to connect with other cheer parents!

I appreciate all the feedback and I am glad to hear so many opinions! I like to know what I may be in store for this season or in the future! Thanks everyone!

I'm in a similar situation where i have an 8 year old that could potentially be level 4 or 5 next year (she's very close to having her full, not double or anything...LOL). and our gym currently has S5 and J4 and they might have J5 next year and probably J4 again. and other parents are constantly asking me what i'm going to do. if i say keep her on Y3 with her peers, i get questioned about why i wouldn't put her (as if i own the place) at her skill level (she cleanly has layout, standing tuck, etc). and if i say i'm leaning towards J4, i get questioned as to why i wouldn't keep her with her peers...AHHHHH...no one is happy with MY decisions...he he he. the bottom line is, there clearly isn't a perfect scenario. go with what you know! or just put it in the hands of your coaches (which i've seriously decided to do). i'm just going to flat out ask what team do you want her to tryout for. and unless i feel there is any unnecessary drama or undue pressure being put on her, i'll leave it up to them.

And from the peer standpoint, i will say that most of these girls are with kids their age all day long at school. it can benefit them to be around kids of other ages, and the older girls at our gym tend to take care of the little ones and treat them appropriately.

It definitely sounds like she has the skills to be level 5, but nine years old is still really young. Especially if you're considering such a competitive level. Personally, I would keep her on youth for at least one more year

Best of luck either way :)

Back