1st Timer Here :) Question About Cheersport Pressure

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheersIPay

Cheer Parent
Feb 7, 2012
Hello everyone I'm new here (Proud to be a Newbie). I did look to see if I saw a similar post so I apologize if I overlooked it. I was just wondering as a parent how do you deal with your child's nerves about competing in big competitions such as Indy, Cheersport and NCA. Also, as an athlete how do you mentally prepare yourself?

Welcome to the board! You will love it here!

I'm not a parent, but a former athlete who has competed at all of the competitions you listed, plus some other big ones. For me, the biggest thing was to treat the major competitions the same as a one day local comp. l had a routine that I did before every competition and I stuck to it no matter what. For at least a week before, make sure your CP eats right, gets plenty of water and sleep, and is stretching properly to avoid injury. I always liked to pack with my mom two nights before we left. This let me focus on practices during the week, and then a few days before really get into the competition mindset. If you can, get the team music and have your child visualize/mark the routine every night before bed. This will hopefully help her get in the right mindset before traveling.

Once y'all get to the competition make sure your CP continues getting enough sleep and nutrients. At competitions as big as the ones you listed, especially Cheersport, it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everything going on. Spending most of the day as a team really helps keep the kids focused and the nerves away. Once they have competed there is plenty of time for fun! Trading shirts/bows/pins, watching other teams, eating junk food, etc.

My advice to a parent from an athlete standpoint would just be to support the child. Keep them focused on hitting and confident in themselves. If they make a mistake, be there for a hug and let the coach do the coaching (even if my parents told me to set more before my full, it was much easier to hear it from my coaches. Coaches should make corrections on skills;parents should not). Remind them they have hit the element hundreds of times and they will get it next time. If they hit a perfect routine, remind them to be happy with the performance, rather than the placing, since even a perfect routine isn't always enough to win the bigger comps.

Sorry for the novel haha but let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for your response! Everything you said was extremely helpful especially about packing prior (I'm so last minute) and bout her marking her routine, resting and eating right. She gets so nervous. Her and her friends have been saying "I'm so nervous for Cheersport, Mommy look up the teams we compete against.....are they REALLY GOOD, OMG I hope we hit" etc. EVERYDAY her nerves get worse and it's making ME nervous for her! I'm trying to get her to breathe and focus on her TEAM. Your response was most helpful Thanks again!!

Is it her first trip to Cheersport? To me it sounds like what is probably a lot of excitement, and a little bit of true nerves. Cheersport is one of the most fun competitions just because it is so big! I didn't compete at CS for the first time until I was in high school and I was as giddy as a five year old on Christmas morning hahaha. It might help to show her some of the info in the Cheersport parent packet and definitely read the Cheersport guide posted in the allstar section. The more she knows about what to expect, the less overwhelmed she will be once y'all arrive. Focus on the team half the time, have fun half the time and she will do great! Good luck!

just know that the crowd is yelling for your success and feed off the crowd for your fierceness dont be afraid and pray =] also at cheer extreme we have many team bonding sessions where we all speak about something that needs to be fixed and our coaches always tell us that we are what the crowd want so give em a show =]

Whomps. Coming from an athlete who carried a trashcan through cheersport warmups... The best thing to do is feel prepared and breathe deeply. Deep breathing is the only thing that gets me through competitions.

Make sure your cp eats and sleeps so she feels her best. If she doesn't feel well she won't feel prepared. Deep breathing is a skill that needs to be learned but is so helpful.

Yes this is our first time going! She's usually calm. She's not the nervous type, but as ATL gets closer, she's getting a little more nervous and I see her stressing a little more. She was marking her routine this morning before school. I think she's both excited and nervous. I told her not to watch anymore youtube videos of the other teams LOL!

Is it her first trip to Cheersport? To me it sounds like what is probably a lot of excitement, and a little bit of true nerves. Cheersport is one of the most fun competitions just because it is so big! I didn't compete at CS for the first time until I was in high school and I was as giddy as a five year old on Christmas morning hahaha. It might help to show her some of the info in the Cheersport parent packet and definitely read the Cheersport guide posted in the allstar section. The more she knows about what to expect, the less overwhelmed she will be once y'all arrive. Focus on the team half the time, have fun half the time and she will do great! Good luck!

Yes this is a first. She went to NCA last year and was not nearly as nervous, which is surprising. People keep telling us how MANY more teams will be at CS vs NCA so I think that may be it as well.

Before the competition I think it's helpful for the parents to do their homework so that they are confident at things like finding their way around, not being late, finding food or snacks, etc. It helps kids stay calm when they aren't watching their parents running around frantically.

I recommend parents sticking to a few simple messages for their kids:

BEFORE THE COMP: The mat at this competition is exactly like any other. When the lights are on you it will only be you and your team working it out just like every other comp.

DURING THE COMP: I'm proud of you no matter what happens and you will be proud of yourself so long as you know you tried your best.

AFTER THE PERFORMANCE: Good job, when do you want to eat?

Before the competition I think it's helpful for the parents to do their homework so that they are confident at things like finding their way around, not being late, finding food or snacks, etc. It helps kids stay calm when they aren't watching their parents running around frantically.

I recommend parents sticking to a few simple mesages for their kids:

BEFORE THE COMP: The mat at this competition is exactly like any other. When the lights are on you it will only be you and your team working it out just like every other comp.

DURING THE COMP: I'm proud of you no matter what happens and you will be proud of yourself so long as you know you tried your best.

I recommend parents sticking to a few simple mesagges for their kids:

That's good advice. It's funny you said that other parents are making fun of me (in a fun loving way) because I am doing my research. I am educating myself as much as possible so I won't be the lost duck. The way people are talking is like its Black Friday, Super crowded and hectic. I am also packing a snack bag since the schedule tells me this is going to be an all day event.

NCA actually wasn't that bad last year, I was surprised how easy it was to move around to various halls. This is the first time we'll get to see a lot of teams that we missed in NCA, so switching to different Arena's might be tricky! I did tell my daughter I would have to limit her "roaming" being as though it's over 900 teams I am told.

I told her I am proud no matter what. The fact that all these kids can perform with such energy and love for the sport amazes me at every competition!

Tell her it is just another "full out". Her body is well trained and knows what to do, so there is no need to be extra nervous. When competing an any given "arena" it will feel like a typical competition. Each stage is like its own mini competition (except the high profile teams that pack in the people). Yes there are tons of people at Cheersport, but they are spread out in all the arenas so it really ends up being like what she is already used to :). Oh and food is everywhere and the lines are not as long as they are at NCA. Hope this helps :)

That does help! I am getting such good advice. Now I can say "well some experienced Cheersport people said on Fierceboard___" and I know she'll feel so much better hearing it from people that have been to Cheersport! Thanks everybody I really appreciate it. I'm excited :) and I know she will be at ease once I show her all the helpful comments! Thanks again!

Back