2 And A Quarter Downs - Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 14, 2012
So my team for some reason has decided to implement 2 and a quarter downs from prep/extension (double down with quarter turn of stunt) instead of just a straight double down for our level 4 team.

I used to be able to straight double from prep but just lost the technique of it when my bases dropped me hard and then shortly after i tore my hamstring so i was out anyway..

Started training these again and i can make the quarter turn easy (when i wait for the pop.. thats one of my issues but i know that one) but i cant seem to whip around fast enough to get the double. Closest ive got is 1.5 with my hands by my sides.

Would trying to bring my arms to a different position help at all? Also any tips on waiting to know when to spin your hips to make the quarter turn? Thankyouuu!!

When your bases pop you, drive your arms into a T motion as you ride the pop (this would be when you drive your toes and hips to the front for the quarter turn) then quickly drive them in to your sides while leading your spin with your hips. Also make sure you are spinning straight up and down, if your body starts to go horizontal you will spin a lot slower. Hope this helps, good luck!

Difficult to say without a video but often, when our flyers don't complete their rotations it is because they are screwing up their body, as in: head turns, then upper body turns, then hips turn.

Like this:
full.jpg

This makes your rotation really, really slow and you will probably not make it around.

Try to focus on initializing the rotation with your hips and really try to keep the rest of your body in line with them.

Like this:
Twist_cradle.jpg

Waiting for the pop is super important. Ride it and stay tight with the twist, whip your arms around fast and keep proper position! Good luck :)

Back