All-Star 2012-2013 Age Grid For Worlds Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A lot of people say that. What do they have to look forward to if they are already cheering at worlds by age 12-13...that's a good question. My oldest CP is 13 by USASF standards. She went to worlds and won last year as a 12 year old. This year she has sat the bench the second half of the season due to injury and the ONLY thing pushing her to rehab as thoroughly and quickly as possible is the possibility of getting on the mat for worlds again. This is her 8th year in all stars, 6th year on a level 5 team. 5 of those years all on the same junior 5 team. She still has one year left on that junior 5 team and she is looking forward to it. She hasn't lost interest. Quite the contrary. Will she still have that same excitement for worlds when she's 16-17-18?? IDK, but I hope so. I believe that is something that can be quite different depending on the child involved in the situation. My youngest CP has moved up the ranks slowly. Probably what most would consider an average amount of movement. 1 year as a rec team, 1 year as youth 2, then 2 years a mini 2, then a year at youth 3, then 2 years at youth 4. She finally ages out and will be on a junior team next year. We're hoping Junior 5. But she is already burned out. Talks about quitting all the time...And she has the potential to be a Gabi Butler or Brittni Love when it comes to flying and performing...I can't figure it out. I just chalk it up to personalities.

I am not a parent or an all-star coach anymore, but just making a point. There is always an extra talented younger girl, but honestly if you watch MOST of the time (not all) these girls are brought up to fly, average standing tuck, sloppy full so they hide her until stunt time. I think that is the main issue. My issue is I just feel bad for girls b/c body image is important at that age and if they are getting pulled down just for a peanut (and in SOME CASES, this happens), it sucks.

So...I agree that this happens, FYI, but I think that's a personal team coaching issue, again, and not one that's for the masses to decide. If there is truly a bigger flyer more capable AND can tumble, then it's their unwise decision to put the less capable non tumbling flyer in the air and that's not a winning strategy. It wouldn't make sense for that team to do it, if that wasn't the best person for the position.

It is a shame that things can affect girls' body image and this is one of them. So, let's raise our daughters to love themselves no matter what and see the value in their position regardless of if they're in the air or not.

I'm not a jealous parent, jealous athlete, or jealous coach. I'm just a fan of people of similar ages being on teams together. Trust me, I did Open with a girl who was 25 and could pass for 12, and physical size isn't the only thing I get bothered about. What can I say, considering I haven't grown in any real capacity since the age of 13! I just like the general cohesiveness of similar ages which USUALLY indicates similar size, weight distribution, body control, mental maturity/capability, emotional understanding, etc. I just don't get what's 'senior' about a 12 year old. 13-14 feels more 'senior' to me..would I prefer it across the board?? Eventually..but I'll stick with Worlds right now seeing as that takes the highest amount of capability.

Although I thought we weren't supposed to create rules for the exceptions, but rather for the masses. Isn't that how life is?

@kristenthegreat in a way we're talking about two different things, i'm simply referring to the "all fetus flyers must be young" and the "it's not fair when they put small girls up in the air". i don't care what they make the bottom age for worlds, but i DO think it's more a parenting/coaching issue of who gets to be on any given worlds team...i get what you're saying...that most 12 year olds don't have all that it takes to be on World's caliber teams, so not raising the age is catering to the handful that could handle it. BUT that was not my argument...i'm not saying leave it at 12 for those few who can handle it (the exception), i was really saying that if i were a coach and i was choosing to put a 12 year old on a team, that was between me and their parent and not for anyone to judge.

and i have to edit to add...i get that people are going to judge, i don't get why people get SO WORKED up about this one issue.

i completely get both sides of the arguement im just hoping that if the change is made it isnt this coming season my cp has been looking forward to being able to be on a worlds team all year she misses the age cutoff by about 3 weeks she turns 13 right after the cutoff but stays cheer age 12 and next season she also will be in 8th grade so im not looking forward to the tears if this change occurs

@kristenthegreat in a way we're talking about two different things, i'm simply referring to the "all fetus flyers must be young" and the "it's not fair when they put small girls up in the air". i don't care what they make the bottom age for worlds, but i DO think it's more a parenting/coaching issue of who gets to be on any given worlds team...i get what you're saying...that most 12 year olds don't have all that it takes to be on World's caliber teams, so not raising the age is catering to the handful that could handle it. BUT that was not my argument...i'm not saying leave it at 12 for those few who can handle it (the exception), i was really saying that if i were a coach and i was choosing to put a 12 year old on a team, that was between me and their parent and not for anyone to judge.

and i have to edit to add...i get that people are going to judge, i don't get why people get SO WORKED up about this one issue.
I can see that, but at the same time, I don't get people getting so worked up on the other side about how it HAS to be this way. Why? The only reason people seem to give is because their own kid will be upset..which to me isn't really that strong of an argument.

Are decisions REALLY ever just between the parent/coach/athlete? The REASONING might be, but in a subjective TEAM sport I feel like every decision still involves other people. Does it require their judgment? No, but that doesn't mean you're not gonna get it :D

I agree with Mclovin...in our area most of the Worlds teams have flyers that look like seniors. MedCoed has a 13 year old but she is has abs of steel and holds her own easily. The lower level teams are a different story. I think it has to do with the little kids being easier to base, they can be pool noodles and big enough bases can keep them up. You know what drives me crazy? Watching a team with flyers so small and bases so big that they are basically holding the flyer at the waist while she leans back at a 45 degree angle. How is that going to work fully extended? There should be deductions for when a backspot holds the stunt above knee level.

I also agree with Mclovin and cheermommaRN that this is more an issue on the lower levels. And I think it's seen more at smaller gyms. If there were bottom ages across the board for all levels, I think what you'll see happening is a TON of small small teams, or a ton of stacked lower level teams. because at a gym of 100 people, you probably only have about 20 kids in each age group, all at different levels. So, they'll either have to field teams of 20 all at level 1 and 2 in the lower ages, with kids who can throw tucks and beyond on them, or they'll have 10 teams of 8-10 athletes in their appropriate age/level group. With only 100 atheletes (100 paying tuition), i doubt these smaller gyms have the resources to have the coaching staff for that many teams...or the space. But in the end without any way to move up in levels in the near foreseeable future those kids would start flocking to the big gyms, i'm sure. So...for the industry as a whole, I can see why there is resistance to making a minimum age in divisions.

I really hope they don't take out tumbling difficulty... that would be a lot of wasted time for some athletes who spent forever getting these skills.

Oh don't worry about that. There would still be plenty of difficulty out there. Maybe even more difficult than what you see now. They are just not the skills du jour that everyone loves to see.

Oh don't worry about that. There would still be plenty of difficulty out there. Maybe even more difficult than what you see now. They are just not the skills du jour that everyone loves to see.
See my question is...Is it the kids throwing "bounding" skills that are getting injured or the kids "learning" fulls/doubles? In my experience when a kid is working "bounding" skills they have the conditioning and have for the most part mastered skills that it takes to start "bounding". I'm just confused at what "we" are trying to do. So basically are more kids hurt working whip-full/double, full/full, full/double, double/double or working robhs full or robhs double? I don't understand why "we" are limiting skills that will still be taught wrong!? FIX THE COACHES - FIXES THE PROBLEM!

See my question is...Is it the kids throwing "bounding" skills that are getting injured or the kids "learning" fulls/doubles? In my experience when a kid is working "bounding" skills they have the conditioning and have for the most part mastered skills that it takes to start "bounding". I'm just confused at what "we" are trying to do. So basically are more kids hurt working whip-full/double, full/full, full/double, double/double or working robhs full or robhs double? I don't understand why "we" are limiting skills that will still be taught wrong!? FIX THE COACHES - FIXES THE PROBLEM!
SHIMMY SHIMMY SHIMMY till you cant SHIMMY NO MORE!!!!

Not arguing, or anything, but are more kids getting hurt working ROBHS full or ROBHS dub because more kids are working those skills than whip/full, full/full, etc.? Same reason driving in a car is "more dangerous" than flying in a plane...because it's done way more often...

Back