All-Star 2013-2014 New Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would go absolutely wild if someone told me that I had to cover my tattoos because they thought they looked bad. I have about $2000 worth of ink and love all of it. If I don't like your hair color would you wear a hat to cover it? No.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
This is exactly what I'm saying. I spent probably around $3000 on tattoos in the past 5 years. I shouldn't have to cover my tattoos because you don't like how it looks. Obviously if you have a whole back piece done or something large like that it's different but let's be honest that's not the tattoo most people get. 90% of the time it's a small-medium tattoo in a finite space ( hip, shoulder, ribs, upper arm, forearm, etc.) don't say that tattoos take away from uniformity of the routine. Does everyone on your team look exactly alike? Do you all have the same body type, skin color, hair color, or body size? That already eliminates complete uniformity. Having a tattoo showing is not going to change anything.

...I knew a girl who got 'Bite Me' tattooed on her inner lip. It lasted all of 3 days and cost her a nice $80 or so. I know two people who got drunk one night during the holidays (they were elves at Macy's) and decided to get snowflakes on their inner wrists..

Yeah, not all tattoos are meaningful. :p
Oh I know this for a fact, lol. My boyfriend is a tattoo artist, so some of the stories he tells me when he comes home are a good laugh.

This is exactly what I'm saying. I spent probably around $3000 on tattoos in the past 5 years. I shouldn't have to cover my tattoos because you don't like how it looks. Obviously if you have a whole back piece done or something large like that it's different but let's be honest that's not the tattoo most people get. 90% of the time it's a small-medium tattoo in a finite space ( hip, shoulder, ribs, upper arm, forearm, etc.) don't say that tattoos take away from uniformity of the routine. Does everyone on your team look exactly alike? Do you all have the same body type, skin color, hair color, or body size? That already eliminates complete uniformity. Having a tattoo showing is not going to change anything.

your arguments don't make a lot of sense. either you think you should have to cover tattoos or you don't.. you say you shouldn't have to, but say its different if its something large.. then you say that tattoos don't take away uniformity, but that there basically is no such thing as uniformity because everyone is different. your argument is very back and forth

...I knew a girl who got 'Bite Me' tattooed on her inner lip. It lasted all of 3 days and cost her a nice $80 or so. I know two people who got drunk one night during the holidays (they were elves at Macy's) and decided to get snowflakes on their inner wrists..

Yeah, not all tattoos are meaningful. :p
did the lip tat just wear away?

your arguments don't make a lot of sense. either you think you should have to cover tattoos or you don't.. you say you shouldn't have to, but say its different if its something large.. then you say that tattoos don't take away uniformity, but that there basically is no such thing as uniformity because everyone is different. your argument is very back and forth
If you read my whole point I don't think you should have to cover normal everyday tattoos. HOWEVER , if you have your whole back tattooed like this for example (Incredible Detail and Just Amazing Full Back Tattoo by Tattooist Dmitriy Chikaev. | Women Tattoo Designs | Ideas for Women Tattoos I could understand why your coach or whoever would ask you to cover it. Because something like that would be distracting, even from far away. My belief is that there is no such thing as complete uniformity. Yes there's uniformity in hitting your motions at the same time, hitting jumps at the same time, hitting your stunts at the same time. But a tattoo being visible isn't taking away from that, unless it's some large tattoo like the one I linked. Using the excuse that a tattoo takes away from uniformity isn't an excuse to have people cover up normal every day sized tattoos. Did that clear everything up for you?

I just can't believe people under 18 have tattoos.

I was judging a local comp two weeks ago and I saw athletes that were 15/16 with small tattoos.

To each it's own.

I didn't get mine til I was 20 and easily persuaded in college.

I was judging a local comp two weeks ago and I saw athletes that were 15/16 with small tattoos.

To each it's own.

Yeah I was 15 when I got my first. I know 13 and 14 year olds around me that have snuck and gotten them. My mom didn't care and signed the papers for me so I never had to do too much work.

To each it's own.

I don't agree with them getting tattoos because it's become such a trend. My boyfriend got his first at 14 because his dad got hurt real bad in an accident and his two older brothers were getting matching tattoos so his mom said he could as well.
Eta: I gave my self one when I was 15, I don't regret it because it's small and hidden, but I guess it wasn't very wise of me to use a busted pen and sewing needle.

I don't think tattoos are any more distracting or take away from the uniformity than a giant knee brace.

Agreed. If we're gonna allow giant hair then what's the problem with a tattoo? Not every girl has that huge pony tail which is breaking uniformity and waaaayy more distracting than a tattoo in my opinion. But I do think that if you're on a college team that they should be covered, maybe that makes me a hypocrite. Oh well.

If your coach thinks anything distracts from a team performance, then yes, they have a right to prohibit it on the mat. You are part of a team and just because you don't see it as an issue doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way. Different body types and skin color are not a distraction. Neon green hair, large and/or colorful tattoos etc. can most definitely be a distraction and "fair" or not, can leave a negative impression with the judging panel which ultimately can affect the team score.

Back