All-Star 2013-2014 New Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Does anyone know if in other performance based sports such as dance or gymnastics the athletes are required to cover up their tattoos?
Or is it the decision of the coach/athlete?

My freshman year of college our coach was really strict about tattoo coverage anytime we were in uniform. Some used make-up and one girl with one on her side used a big band aid.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Does anyone know if in other performance based sports such as dance or gymnastics the athletes are required to cover up their tattoos?
I coached acrobatic gymnastics for many years and if you competed with a visible tattoo it was a deduction.
I was lucky that any gymnasts I had with tattoos where easily covered, a few had to wear wrist or ankle supports when competing to cover it.

I don't have a huge problem with tattoos showing on open teams, but I think that senior team athletes should cover them. That's just my personal preference, of course. We have a senior aged athlete with a rib tattoo and she's always covered it with a band aid, although she just expanded it. Not sure what she's planning on doing now, but I do believe she will cover it.

The tattoo doesn't ruin the uniform. What a visible tattoo does ruin is the perfectly clean look of a team on stage. It's an added detail that was chosen to be permanent marked on their body, but I always have felt that senior aged teams should keep them covered with makeup.

This is the uniform for international open 5. The girl is 21.

I think if it's just some words or a smaller not so much color tattoo it's fine showing, but if you have a masterpiece tattooed on your side I would maybe cover it up. I'm torn though because I find tattoos to be so interesting so I would want to see them, but I guess if you had a huge tattoo on your side with every color under the sun used then maybe cover it up? But I feel like for college cheerleading during games you should have them covered up. Just personal preference after seeing different teams.

I've already agreed (and researched the regulations to be sure) to take my son to get some ink. I told him IF he makes it into the academy that will be our celebration activity. He wants the USAF logo on his upper arm.

(I agreed to skydiving too, I'm thinking this is less risky) :D

I've already agreed (and researched the regulations to be sure) to take my son to get some ink. I told him IF he makes it into the academy that will be our celebration activity. He wants the USAF logo on his upper arm.

(I agreed to skydiving too, I'm thinking this is less risky) :D

I read this too fast and read USAF as USASF. Needless to say I was very confused as to why that would be a tattoo choice for anyone really, but then I reread it. I like what you wrote better than what I read.

Alicia Sacramone was required to cover her neck one during worlds and I few other comps I think

What's the name of the Italian gymnast that threw shade at Simone Biles after worlds? Or maybe it was the gymnast that didn't.....Anyway. One if the Italian gymnasts that competed at the competition that came on tv in early March has the Olympic Rings tattooed on the nape of her neck and it was visible. The commentators mentioned it...not negatively, just noting that she had it and then they talked about her Olympic/Worlds successes.

I'm personally "Team No Tattoos ever in life".

Woah woah woah. You can get a tattoo under 18 in the USA? That's seriously messed up! So you can have a permanent mark on your body as a child, but not have a drink til you're 21? That is messed up.

Or have I missed the point and these kids are sneaking and lying and saying they're 18? Aren't they strict with ID?

Sorry for the hijack, just baffled! For a reasonably on topic post, I do think tattoos should be covered if they're visible from the judges seats, but that's my personal preference. I think when everything is identical, bows, shoes, uniforms, anything that's not God given should be covered. (so hair colour, scars and birthmarks, skin colour - although with the tans that's usually pretty uniform, are all ok to differ.)

Woah woah woah. You can get a tattoo under 18 in the USA? That's seriously messed up! So you can have a permanent mark on your body as a child, but not have a drink til you're 21? That is messed up.

Or have I missed the point and these kids are sneaking and lying and saying they're 18? Aren't they strict with ID?
It varies state by state. In NY, you strictly have to be 18... they are not legally supposed to tattoo anyone under 18, even with parent's consent. In PA, you can have a parent sign for you if you are under 18.

But yes, I have known kids that got tattoos with fake I.D.'s. Just like I know people (quite a few people actually) that drink with fake I.D.'s and I am not going to say I am completely clean on the latter. Although, I live about an hour outside of Canada when I am home and the drinking age there is 19 and they have completely different tattoo and piercing standards so there are a lot of options for kids in my area.

On the topic of covering up tattoos, I don't know how to feel. I do in fact have tattoos but I got them after I was done cheering. Both are on my mid back and would most likely show in a crop uniform (although maybe not). I got them there because I knew that as a business major and going into Corporate America someday, I did not want them in a place where people could see them or pass judgement on them, but that was a personal choice. I think the problem is, we allow some things to be okay and seen, but other things we condone and hide.

Certain people are pro-tattoo and certain people are anti-tattoo. Do I honestly think an uncovered tattoo could be distracting... probably not. (I mean there was times on a team of 30-36 that my own parents couldn't find me in a routine because of how much was going on and how many people were on the floor). I do believe that if a tattoo is offensive it should be covered because it is a sport with a lot of younger children but I don't think covering all tattoos is reasonable or should be pushed onto everyone. What if everyone on the team went tanning except for one extremely white, pale girl... should she be made to tan because she could be a distraction? You see tattoos on most professional athletes these days and they are not forced to cover them up. Teachers/Doctors/Lawyers and others alike have tattoos and for the most part, they are not forced to cover their's up.

Back