All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can think of 3.
It's not even like they have done what Lauren from Smoed has done and stayed on her team but learnt to base, they were all moved from the team they have been on for 3+ years to make way for small flyers.

That's cheerleading I guess. It's not fair, but it happens.
I don't think anyone really knows the full story unless they're at CA. There could be other factors as well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't think anyone really knows the full story unless they're at CA. There could be other factors as well.

Oh completely! I don't know the full story at all and I'm not saying I do - but I know the facts that are in black and white - there are 3 (that I can think of) flyers from last year on Panthers that are now flying on different teams and the newer flyers on panthers are all a lot smaller than they are/were.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, I know we are all touchy feely about the large senior division on here.

Oh completely! I don't know the full story at all and I'm not saying I do - but I know the facts that are in black and white - there are 3 (that I can think of) flyers from last year on Panthers that are now flying on different teams and the newer flyers on panthers are all a lot smaller than they are/were.
Sorry if I stepped on any toes, I know we are all touchy feely about the large senior division on here.
I don't know the full story either but it seems to me it makes far more sense for someone who has always been a flyer to fly on a different team rather than to learn how to base level 5 stunts. It also seems to me that CA knows how to win, and puts teams together with the best chance of winning.

Sorry but thats a pretty deficient argument! Im sure the NBA would tell a 6 10 forward to move aside because we have a 5 10 guy that can dunk and it looks more impressive! No i think they would stick with the tall guy. When was the last time you saw a 250lb jockey? Two football receivers, both with exact same skills, one 5' 10 one 6' 5 guess which one gets the start? Tall guy! Same two receivers but both are equal in skills and size, but one's 22 and one's 28 guess who will stay with the team longer? Welcome to sports where the size and age of the athletes make a difference! If your not taking advantage of this, youre not a very good coach.
Now that's not necessarily true! If you have a good QB he should be able to adapt to any size... Heck he has to in order make sure he doesn't throw an interception. A fb coach has to change strategy depending on what team he's playing and size is always a consideration bc not everyone is the same- and sometimes being smaller has its advantages in fb. Often they're faster.

Girls get older, sometimes their bodies change, other girls age up & become eligible to be on senior teams & in most cases the younger girls are smaller. Why not let everyone be happy & let the some of the younger girls fly on the all girl team & some of the older girls who are going through body changes fly on the coed teams. That's not how all gyms handle situations like that, but it's pretty smart to do it that way if they choose.

Soooo, can we get back to videos orrrr?

Wow - this took on a life of its own in the time it took me to go to the grocery store.
No where did I say anyone or any size was unhealthy.
I didn't realize I was in an argument. If I'm going to expend energy arguing, it will probably be for something more valuable to me than the size of cheerleaders.
I didn't sit in the room during team placement, but you can be sure I was in the room with 2 coaches when one said my daughter was 'too heavy' (at less than 100 pounds - nothing skill related). I've also had similiar conversations with other families.
I will not compare cheer that I pay for with any sport the athletes are compensated to play. I feel those are completely different scenarios.
I didn't call them 'micro-minis' out of disrespect. That's how they and teammates refer to themselves.
I will stand by this post:
Watered down or not, I respect the heck out of them for putting up normal size teens. I'd rather watch them than the micro-minis Panthers are holding. Can that PLEASE be worth more points?
I'm still more impressed when I see a 17 year-old girl lift what appears to be another 17 year-old than what appears to be a third grader. That's just my opinion.

If the junior division was brought back to worlds, I think we'd see a lot less of the smaller flyers taking place of the normal sized flyer's places. I do appreciate gyms who keep their normal sized flyers BUT-- It would be a bad decision to keep a 12 year old with appropriate skills from flying on a worlds team because someone else has been flying on that team for years. It's not always an option to keep the normal flyer when you have a whole generation of 12 year olds coming in.

I will stand by this post:
Watered down or not, I respect the heck out of them for putting up normal size teens. I'd rather watch them than the micro-minis Panthers are holding. Can that PLEASE be worth more points?
I'm still more impressed when I see a 17 year-old girl lift what appears to be another 17 year-old than what appears to be a third grader. That's just my opinion.
I have 2 "micro minis" and my almost 17 year old looks like a 3rd grader. She can't help it any more than your daughter can't help being "too big"....I am sorry you are so jaded towards your old gym, but leave the kids out of it.

I have 2 "micro minis" and my almost 17 year old looks like a 3rd grader. She can't help it any more than your daughter can't help being "too big"....I am sorry you are so jaded towards your old gym, but leave the kids out of it.
I totally get what you're saying bc my little one will always be super tiny like yours, but I get what she's saying. It visually looks more impressive when bases are basing girls (or guys) their own size. Just like it's impressive when we see a girl do a coed stunt (single base)... Or even guys single base someone close to their size. That's how I took it before the debate ensued.

It would be stupid to keep the newly-senior-aged smaller girls off of the worlds teams just to keep a veteran flyer in the air. A lot of the little girls are also powerhouse tumblers/jumpers who should be on a worlds team. If you have two girls that have the exact same skill level, both are tight and can do advanced stunts, you're going to pick the smaller one to fly. It just makes sense, because like it or not, physics does play a role. Yes, a small, loose flyer can be harder to base than a bigger, tight flyer, but a small tight flyer is going to be easier than a bigger tight flyer. It's not the same as the teams that pull up lower-level tumblers just to fly because they weigh 80 pounds.

Can I also remind everyone that even the bases may look older than they actually appear. Some I know in person, and some I recognized from jags this year and last year. A lot of this team just aged out of juniors. Don't want to name names but even a lot of the "cheerleberties" ages are mistaken. I just went on the majors website and looked at the ages of these girls. A majority are 15 and under. So it's not 17 year olds holding up 7th graders. When I watch their videos it's the 14 and 15 year old's basing the "tiny" flyers.

It would be stupid to keep the newly-senior-aged smaller girls off of the worlds teams just to keep a veteran flyer in the air. A lot of the little girls are also powerhouse tumblers/jumpers who should be on a worlds team. If you have two girls that have the exact same skill level, both are tight and can do advanced stunts, you're going to pick the smaller one to fly. It just makes sense, because like it or not, physics does play a role. Yes, a small, loose flyer can be harder to base than a bigger, tight flyer, but a small tight flyer is going to be easier than a bigger tight flyer. It's not the same as the teams that pull up lower-level tumblers just to fly because they weigh 80 pounds.
I completely agree. Where I disagree is if the smaller flyer lacks some necessary level 5 skills. How would this discussion change if a small flyer with level 3/4 skills replaced an experienced level 5 flyer with a double? Either way, it's an interesting discussion.

Finally found videos from the majors that aren't from cheer live.
I liked Cali Coed's pyramid without all of the sound effects. It was kinda cool that way.

Back