All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who does choreograph stars routine? I always wondered that. Do Elaine and Joelle do mostly everything? Or other world cup coaches? I know they usually have Jamie Parish do their dance. but who does the routines?

whoever did it this year is amazing! its one of the best choreographed routines ive seen in all my years of cheerleading.

Elaine had tweeted to Jamie thanking him for the amazing routine, so maybe he's done more than just the dance this year?

Question...
Was there not a rule made at the start of this season that braced inversions in level 5 pyramids would be considered illegal if contact was not made by the bracer until the flipper was caught in cradle? I distinctly remember reading that somewhere and wondered why that's not really something anyone's following/enforcing?

Question...
Was there not a rule made at the start of this season that braced inversions in level 5 pyramids would be considered illegal if contact was not made by the bracer until the flipper was caught in cradle? I distinctly remember reading that somewhere and wondered why that's not really something anyone's following/enforcing?

I was just thinking about that yesterday, but I think it was more so done to make people think about it more. They would have to pause and slow-mo every single team to make sure it was being enforced.

I was just thinking about that yesterday, but I think it was more so done to make people think about it more. They would have to pause and slow-mo every single team to make sure it was being enforced.

Thank you for reading my tweets and responding to my question :p
I wondered how strictly it would be enforced.. I think as long as the flipper is finished the trick and is just falling into the cradle it shouldn't be an issue really.

I wondered how strictly it would be enforced.. I think as long as the flipper is finished the trick and is just falling into the cradle it shouldn't be an issue really.
I can tell you it was enforced completely at Spirit Celebration in Denton two weekends ago. From visiting with coaches and owners of other gyms I believe almost every worlds team received a safety violation after their first routine for that very rule. And yes, the safety judge did a lot of "re-winding" back and forth.

Question...

It will be strictly enforced at every event with a Core Safety Judge, which is about 80% of the bid events in America.

So far that hasn't been the case. Most of the time they let go so early slo-mo isn't needed.

I can tell you it was enforced completely at Spirit Celebration in Denton two weekends ago. From visiting with coaches and owners of other gyms I believe almost every worlds team received a safety violation after their first routine for that very rule. And yes, the safety judge did a lot of "re-winding" back and forth.

I'd prepare for it to be the same at every bid event in Texas.

Following that line of thought is setting yourself up.

Following that line of thought is setting yourself up.

I didn't mean it shouldn't be an issue within the guidelines of this rule, I more meant that if around 3/4 of the skill is completed, if not more, disconnecting shouldn't be much of an issue, but I also understand both sides of the argument.

I'm only chiming in on this because it seems to be a theme among recent posts.

It's nice that the general consensus is that it was "exaggeratedly disastrous". However, I think that opinion depends on your perspective. For the kids on that floor and their families....I'm not sure "disastrous" was a strong enough word for how they felt about it. But the only ones who really felt that way here were people who have friends and family on that team. None of those people would deliberately exaggerate their own child's negative performance for any reason (I can't imagine what kind of person would do that) so those reports are completely reflective of how THEY felt about their performance and not some strange plot to make the world think they were terrible (which is the vibe I'm getting).

Not even sure if any of that makes sense other than to say, to those girls and their families....that wasn't an exaggeration, it's just how THEY felt about it. And since the reports came from those same people, that's why the discussion went that way.

On a positive note: I did see something I have never seen after this performance. Had this been my kids' previous team I know exactly how the following practice would've gone (and for SE they went directly to practice from the arena) and dreaded that for those kids....until I heard about it and then saw some myself.

My kids have been called an "embarrassment to their gym" and "trash" by their coaches (this was to a junior team) after a routine that didn't hit. Threatened to take skills out since they "can't hit them" and had the "well, you'd have won if you'd hit what we choreographed because we did OUR job!" After every. Single. Competition for four years. So I dreaded that practice for SE (and my kids aren't even on it, just ones we've gotten to know well).

So it's yet another paradigm shift when I hear the coach with my own ears not yell, not freak out, not make them run laps and take full responsibility for SE's performance herself. And let's face it SEs stakes were MUCH higher than some random non worlds junior team from a relatively unknown gym.

That being said, she told them it was entirely her fault, apologized, told them how she was going to fix it and scheduled probably 10 hours of practice over the next two days. I still can't wrap my head around it. A coach that takes responsibility (warranted or not) rather than blaming the kids. It's moments like that that make me realize that we made the right decision giving our CPs to Courtney Smith Pope.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

The longer you are at CEA, the more you will find that the same standard that CSP held herself to with that performance on that day, is the same standard that all of the kids who are coached by her hold themselves to as well...everyday. CSP has coached my CP on at least one of her teams for the past eight years. To a degree, she's adopted her coach's work ethic. They all have. Especially the seniors. So, anything less than the perfection, they have been working toward, in their minds = their fault and a hot mess.
The great thing about this is that these kids whom Courtney has trained, use these moments, go back into the gym and work that much harder. It's taught my CP lessons that are serving her away from the gym.

Back