All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My unpopular opinion is this... Watching Laney Madsen makes me physically uncomfortable. I don't care how many whip doubles you can do if nothing in your pass is done with decent technique.
nothing in her pass is done with technique?....... could you point out whats bad cause honestly besides the first punch back in standing tumbling i see nothing wrong all i see is great technique from her.

It baffles me too, but how long has Laney been at Gym-Max? Cause it probably takes a lot of time to rework the basics and polish up her form. Hopefully her tumbling technique improves because she is so talented.

I also saw on Tumblr that she has apparently been invited to a National Team Camp at the ranch? Not sure how accurate this is though.

that i do not know. and i will say her technique has DRASTICALLY improved since switching to Cali (and gym-max, too i'm sure.) does she train floor only or all around? i follow gymnastics and have never seen her listed in any results of bigger comps so I am assuming (bad, i know) that the gymnastics is a new venture for her. regardless, that kid certainly is fearless.

nothing in her pass is done with technique?....... could you point out whats bad cause honestly besides the first punch back in standing tumbling i see nothing wrong all i see is great technique from her.

Feet apart in every back handspring, and in her roundoff, bent and crossed feet in her double, arched/snapped whip (contrary to popular belief, her whipping technique is NOT proper whip technique), her "stepping out" is basically both her feet hitting the ground at the same time and her somehow continuing momentum.

what baffles me more is that she trains at GYM-MAX.. aka the gym that Kyla Ross is from. her technique kills me.

What I learned when I coached gymnastics is this... If you have an athlete, even an athlete only doing tucks or layouts, who has an incorrect roundoff or back handspring, it is one of the most difficult things to fix. Now imagine an athlete who's learned technique wrong all the way up to rebounding passes through to double and triple... Unless she spent a whole year or two completely revising her technique, her technique is only gonna improve minimally (which it has, but it's still nothing to get excited about).

that i do not know. and i will say her technique has DRASTICALLY improved since switching to Cali (and gym-max, too i'm sure.) does she train floor only or all around? i follow gymnastics and have never seen her listed in any results of bigger comps so I am assuming (bad, i know) that the gymnastics is a new venture for her. regardless, that kid certainly is fearless.
I think she just started sometime in late 2012 or 2013? I just remember seeing some posts on Tumblr/Twitter about her starting gymnastics. I'm not entirely sure, but I know she hasn't competed at any gymnastics meets or qualified for elite or anything.

It baffles me too, but how long has Laney been at Gym-Max? Cause it probably takes a lot of time to rework the basics and polish up her form. Hopefully her tumbling technique improves because she is so talented.

I also saw on Tumblr that she has apparently been invited to a National Team Camp at the ranch? Not sure how accurate this is though.

this is accurate. her parents posted about it after they found out. Kid has skills! Id be so happy for her if she accomplished her dream and made it to the Olympics!

this is accurate. her parents posted about it after they found out. Kid has skills! Id be so happy for her if she accomplished her dream and made it to the Olympics!

I'd be happy for her, but I'd be very surprised if it happened. Unless she goes into power tumbling (if I remember correctly it's becoming a part of the 2016 Olympics). Even Alicia Sacramone is considered a strange case in gymnastics starting at 9

Ehhh, I think people are being incredibly harsh on her tumbling. Clearly, she doesn't have the technique of an Olympic athlete… but I think her technique is pretty dang good for a 12 year old cheerleader.

Feet apart (minimally might I add) in BHS and snapped whips are things you'll find from far older, more renowned cheerleaders across the country.

Girl is sickening. That basket, I can't. So much showmanship for such a young athlete, and she's only going to get better.

Ehhh, I think people are being incredibly harsh on her tumbling. Clearly, she doesn't have the technique of an Olympic athlete… but I think her technique is pretty dang good for a 12 year old cheerleader.

Feet apart (minimally might I add) in BHS and snapped whips are things you'll find from far older, more renowned cheerleaders across the country.

Girl is sickening. That basket, I can't. So much showmanship for such a young athlete, and she's only going to get better.

She is great for 12, but unfortunately it stands out as being particularly bad on a large coed team. To stand out as a good female on a large coed you have to be a BEAST (aka Kiara, Caitlyn, Amanda, TGLC's center flyer, etc. etc. etc.) and, partially due to her size, partially due to her hard-to-watch tumbling, she doesn't stand out. She's not horrible. If she was on a senior 5, especially at Cali, I'd consider her a lot better and I'd probably like watching her a lot more than her being on Cali Coed.

I'd be happy for her, but I'd be very surprised if it happened. Unless she goes into power tumbling (if I remember correctly it's becoming a part of the 2016 Olympics). Even Alicia Sacramone is considered a strange case in gymnastics starting at 9
True, but she at least has some background and already knows how to tumble.
At least Laney already has some sort of gymnastics foundation by knowing how to tumble already? Form issues aside it's probably easier to transition to gymnastics when you can already tumble. But learning bars has got to be a pain. I think Laney would make a great power tumbler. I'm pessimistic about her chances in making the Olympics in WAG, but that's just because Team USA is so deep and anything can happen. I'm really happy that she got invited to the Ranch though! That's so exciting.

She is great for 12, but unfortunately it stands out as being particularly bad on a large coed team. To stand out as a good female on a large coed you have to be a BEAST (aka Kiara, Caitlyn, Amanda, TGLC's center flyer, etc. etc. etc.) and, partially due to her size, partially due to her hard-to-watch tumbling, she doesn't stand out. She's not horrible. If she was on a senior 5, especially at Cali, I'd consider her a lot better and I'd probably like watching her a lot more than her being on Cali Coed.

I thought she stood out a lot more in their last routine. I do agree she stands out less now, mostly because she's so small I keep losing her amongst all the boys.

I don't agree (this is what I'm assuming you're meaning) that she doesn't stand out because her tumbling has bad form. I think she doesn't stand out because she's just much smaller and much faster than the other girls you mentioned. Oh and not center flyer (even though kiara wasn't, she was still kiara nowlin).

Hah. "She's not horrible". I think your scale might be off. She's clearly an athlete in the top 5% skill wise of all senior aged level 5 athletes.

Last edited:
Feet apart in every back handspring, and in her roundoff, bent and crossed feet in her double, arched/snapped whip (contrary to popular belief, her whipping technique is NOT proper whip technique), her "stepping out" is basically both her feet hitting the ground at the same time and her somehow continuing momentum.
I'm sorry, but how many people do you see double without crossed feet? Lol. And how many of us can do what she does with or without good technique? Haha.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sorry for replying to two different posts.
But Amanda had pointed out herself that she had been doubling with crossed feet since 2009-2010. And the others you mentioned have doubled that way as well.
Amanda didn't stand out on Coed as much as she did on LB.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I can probably count on my fingers the amount of cheerleaders who twist without crossing or bending their legs. To be blunt, a majority of tumbling in cheer is done with terrible form. Cheer just doesn't emphasize the basics or perfecting skills before learning new ones as much as gymnastics. Whenever people post about how "so and so" or "this team" has flawless tumbling execution it always makes me giggle because the form is usually far from perfect.

Back