All-Star 2013 Cheer Extreme Showcase......come Be A Vip!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In the cheer athletics thread someone asked about a specific athlete (peyton maybe?) and we spent the next 3 pages reading about what a horrible person she must be for even asking, as that is just NOT done on the fierceboard. :rolleyes: Then someone asks on here about this Taylor something and everyone is all hugs and kisses and rainbows and she moved and we miss her. Sooooo... can we talk about athletes or not?
My head hurts from rolling my eyes so hard at the hypocrisy in this thread. :rolleyes:
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Now mama, you know I generally agree with you, but I've got a few points here. In terms of talking about athletes, I think the difference is in the delivery of the question- 'I didn't see so-and-so, was she on the floor?' vs 'Why is so and so not cheering this year?' One comes off as more a general inquiry (she might have been injured/sick) vs a personal inquiry (which we don't talk about). I don't know if the CEA athlete's leaving was discussed on other social media until yesterday, but I gathered from the tone of the CA one that it had already been hashed out for a while on twitter/other platforms. Also- I think the CA question came at the end of the showcase when things were done, whereas other items took precedence when the CEA question was asked. Other point- how said poster reacts to the 'No Minors Discussion' bit.

In terms of routines, I generally follow this format: find something positive in between criticism and balance opinion with facts. For example, WC at Worlds- they had a great energy and it finally felt like the World Cup other people fell in love with. Their technique was lacking a bit compared to other teams (in terms of legs, pointed toes, timing, etc), and they've never been my favorite team in terms of style. But they hit, finally, and they seemed happy about it.

VS.

WC just doesn't impress me. They're boring and I hate the way their routines go. I never like their routines. They have the same routine setup every year. They never do anything new. ATHLETE J has the most janky full, why is she even flying? 'AKA- this comment was posted to add nothing to the conversation except the sound of your own keystrokes'. It's not even an opinion you can argue with because if you do, you're 'Cheetah Army' and 'Whining over the fact that they lost.' --You could insert any team into the above format. It's not that you shouldn't say anything unless it's positive, but when I can call by thread/team blindfolded based on which posters say what and who blames which army for being bitter, it's just tired. *Disclaimer- some people will still be upset with you posting in that sort of mixed bag format. You can't please everyone :D :rolleyes:

You know, just being helpful before the season starts. :D

The more I watch Senior Elite, the more I like the routine. I'm always hesitant to harshly judge any CEA (especially Senior Elite) routine from showcase, just like it's tough to judge early Cheer Athletics teams. Both of these gyms change their routines a LOT over the season (usually), and I expect by later in the season, Senior Elite's routine will be more polished, and make a lot more sense. One thing I do hope is that the pause in the pyramid gets a purpose. Right now it just kinda stops and goes again, I was hoping for something more dramatic there, but we'll see!

I love you.

Right back at ya. ;)

@kristenthegreat I disagree about the athletes. I've seen plenty of "what team is so n so on?" and "Wait... what happened to her?" posts and the pitchforks still come out. And everyone flips out that it's no one's business and we don't use minors' names. Period. I've read at least a hundred times on here that we do. not. call. minors. by. name. Ever. For any reason.

And then...we do.

Just to make life easier, can someone make a list of what we're allowed to talk about?

In the cheer athletics thread someone asked about a specific athlete (peyton maybe?) and we spent the next 3 pages reading about what a horrible person she must be for even asking, as that is just NOT done on the fierceboard. :rolleyes: Then someone asks on here about this Taylor something and everyone is all hugs and kisses and rainbows and she moved and we miss her. Sooooo... can we talk about athletes or not?

If we talk about THIS performance, it's "only October" and "look at how far they came from last year's showcase to worlds!" But if *we* bring up last year's worlds and say something negative then we're "haters" and it's over and so last year and we need to let it go. So if we want to talk about things from last year we can, as long as it's nice? But if it's negative then we should "move on because that was last year" - or we can always start our own thread.

My head hurts from rolling my eyes so hard at the hypocrisy in this thread. :rolleyes:

Cheer Athletics Showcase | Page 16 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Is there a different thread you are talking about? The one I think you are referring to was nothing like what you describe. My comment of "we don't comment on individual athletes" was that CA tries to avoid giving out personal information (what team is XXX on, did XXX quit, why is XXX not a flyer, etc.).

As a member of the 'teal army' myself and a relatively new member/mostly lurker of the board, perhaps my opinion won't matter much. But here it is for what it's worth.

Obviously it's unrealistic to expect everyone to like the same thing. I don't like my coffee the same way that you like yours and some people don't like coffee at all. Do I still respect those who don't like coffee? Or course. Okay so coffee is a bad comparison.

I personally do not expect everyone to like SE's routine or for them to like our program at all. To expect everyone to love us would be completely unrealistic. But at the same time, it's unrealistic to expect for their to be people who do love us. There are gyms/teams out there that I do not care for either. Do I still respect the (underage) athletes who have poured all of their blood, sweat, and tears into the routine? The routine that they personally have had very little (if any) say in how it is choreographed? Yes, of course. I don't expect anyone to give us any more respect than what we would give them if the roles were reversed. I'm not going to defend the gym or the routine or the program because it's not my place to do so. Furthermore, there's no reason to defend it in the first place because, again, everyone is entitled to different opinions. No harm, no foul. However, there is one part about this whole thing that does truly bother me. Someone above (I don't remember who) said something along the lines of being afraid to say anything negative because the 'teal army' would attack you. I don't remember the post verbatim and I'm too lazy to look but I do remember that was the impression that the post gave to me. My response to that would be that MOST of the posters here who have 'defended' CEA are not even affiliated with our program at all. I think it's a common misconception that the 'Teal Army' is all of us parents and athletes who are sitting here waiting for someone to talk smack about our program so that we can band together and crush them. It's not true. Many of those who offer defense are simply fans who have an opinion and want to share theirs as well. That's like a Duke fan talking smack on UNC. They're rivals, they're not supposed to like each other. The Duke fan is dubbed a 'UNC hater' because, well, he hates UNC. Why such a negative connotation? Neither party is right. Neither party is wrong. There's just a difference in coffee flavor and guess what? There's nothing wrong with that.

As far as not discussing Taylor, I'm really failing to see the problem. Someone asked where she is. Someone else responded that she moved to FL for personal/family issues. We love her and we miss her. And guess what? That's seriously it. There's no hidden agenda for sunshine and rainbows. That really is it. She moved, we miss her. End of story. What else is there to talk about? You guys can continue to discuss her or any other athlete if you want, I guess. But if the question is answered and it's not what you wanted or expected to hear, why are we somehow to blame for that? :confused:

/ends rant and returns to lurker mode, hoping I haven't made it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheer Athletics Showcase | Page 16 | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Is there a different thread you are talking about? The one I think you are referring to was nothing like what you describe. My comment of "we don't comment on individual athletes" was that CA tries to avoid giving out personal information (what team is XXX on, did XXX quit, why is XXX not a flyer, etc.).

Perhaps this is where I got the name Peyton, so I may have the name wrong for the incident I'm thinking of. I thought it was the rumors thread though. However, my point was that in both instances someone asked "wait... where is this person?" in what I consider a very similar question ("I expected them on this team like they always are and they're not there...why?" type question) and usually the reaction is "We don't discuss minors/athletes/whatever by name" - and then 3 pages of cats or "you must be new".

In this instance it was asked and answered in a perfectly nice way - my confusion is NOT in why you, as a gym owner, might choose not to discuss individual athletes. My confusion is in why people NOT affiliated with programs feel the need to attack (or not) when people ask these types of questions - usually based on some clique-y Fierceboard thing, rather than actually caring about the minor in question.

I'm really not at liberty to log onto a computer and search some examples out right now, but I will gladly point some out when I see them. Hang out on the newbie board for 5 minutes and you'll see plenty of it.

As far as not discussing Taylor , I'm really failing to see the problem. Someone asked where she is. Someone else responded that she moved to FL for personal/family issues. We love her and we miss her. And guess what? That's seriously it. There's no hidden agenda for sunshine and rainbows. That really is it. She moved, we miss her. End of story. What else is there to talk about? You guys can continue to discuss her or any other athlete if you want, I guess. But if the question is answered and it's not what you wanted or expected to hear, why are we somehow to blame for that? :confused:

I didn't say there was a problem with discussing her. My problem is hypocrisy of Fierceboarders. If the answer to a question with a minor's name in it is, "We don't use names of minors on Fierceboard" then that should apply every time. I know @king said only when we're speaking negatively, but I've not seen that to be the case. It's any time someone says "where is susie smith?" even. I don't actually care one whit if y'all talk about her. I *care* if next time some poor 13-year-old newbie asks the same thing everyone "cats" her into oblivion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make life easier, can someone make a list of what we're allowed to talk about?

If we talk about THIS performance, it's "only October" and "look at how far they came from last year's showcase to worlds!" But if *we* bring up last year's worlds and say something negative then we're "haters" and it's over and so last year and we need to let it go. So if we want to talk about things from last year we can, as long as it's nice? But if it's negative then we should "move on because that was last year" - or we can always start our own thread.

That being said, after watching the youth elite and junior elite videos, it doesn't look like the teal reign at the top is going to end any time soon. Just...wow.

Everything about this!!

I didn't say there was a problem with discussing her. My problem is hypocrisy of Fierceboarders. If the answer to a question with a minor's name in it is, "We don't use names of minors on Fierceboard" then that should apply every time. I know @king said only when we're speaking negatively, but I've not seen that to be the case. It's any time someone says "where is susie smith?" even. I don't actually care one whit if y'all talk about her. I *care* if next time some poor 13-year-old newbie asks the same thing everyone "cats" her into oblivion.

Gotcha! :)

Perhaps this is where I got the name Peyton, so I may have the name wrong for the incident I'm thinking of. I thought it was the rumors thread though. However, my point was that in both instances someone asked "wait... where is this person?" in what I consider a very similar question ("I expected them on this team like they always are and they're not there...why?" type question) and usually the reaction is "We don't discuss minors/athletes/whatever by name" - and then 3 pages of cats or "you must be new".

In this instance it was asked and answered in a perfectly nice way - my confusion is NOT in why you, as a gym owner, might choose not to discuss individual athletes. My confusion is in why people NOT affiliated with programs feel the need to attack (or not) when people ask these types of questions - usually based on some clique-y Fierceboard thing, rather than actually caring about the minor in question.

I'm really not at liberty to log onto a computer and search some examples out right now, but I will gladly point some out when I see them. Hang out on the newbie board for 5 minutes and you'll see plenty of it.

RIP newbies. Catted into oblivion.

RIP newbies. Catted into oblivion.

:cow: 'ed into oblivion too... poor newbs. (I'll refrain from getting on my "stop being mean to kids asking innocent questions" soap box)

But back to the topic... I really enjoyed watching CEA yesterday. I thought the whole thing was done really well. Except for having that Dance Mom lady there. I really don't understand that.

:cow: 'ed into oblivion too... poor newbs. (I'll refrain from getting on my "stop being mean to kids asking innocent questions" soap box)

But back to the topic... I really enjoyed watching CEA yesterday. I thought the whole thing was done really well. Except for having that Dance Mom lady there. I really don't understand that.
Me either, I dont understand the hype of her being there? or why she was there in the first place haha

Yes lol to stay on topic... not sure why Abby Lee was there. I'm not a fan of that.

I do really love watching YE. I'm always amazed.

So far I've only watched the videos on my phone, so I can't really say much about SE. It's a whole lot of girls and a whole lot going on at once...on a little 5 inch screen.

Back