OT 2014 Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
And this is why I cringe when I go snowboarding and see people not wearing helmets - especially young kids. It's not cool to wear a helmet? How cool is it to have serious brain damage from a fall? :mad: Just wear it.

Even with a helmet it can still be incredibly dangerous unfortunately. Poor Michael Schumacher hitting his head while snowboarding (and wearing a helmet), and may never wake up from his coma. Hard to believe that years of dangerous motorsport racing, and in the end it was something else that injured him so badly.

And this is why I cringe when I go snowboarding and see people not wearing helmets - especially young kids. It's not cool to wear a helmet? How cool is it to have serious brain damage from a fall? :mad: Just wear it.
It's not something I would think of to wear, but I've never been skiing/snowboarding. Though when I think of it, it makes sense that there's a big difference between fresh snow (which is all I've been in a whopping two times) and snow that's been packed down for jumps. I do know to wear sunscreen in the snow though!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My brother once went over the handlebars of his bike head first into the ground and part of the front of his helmet got bashed in and another part came off. Really scared me when my parents said "that would have been his head if he wasn't wearing a helmet". Scary stuff.

It's not something I would think of to wear, but I've never been skiing/snowboarding. Though when I think of it, it makes sense that there's a big difference between fresh snow (which is all I've been in a whopping two times) and snow that's been packed down for jumps. I do know to wear sunscreen in the snow though!

Even in fresh, fluffy snow, its so easy to reach 30+ mph on your board/skis. Those downhill skiers in the alpine events were going more than 80. To put that in perspective, the most I've seen a speed limit in the US was 70 mph. So that's crazy fast. I haven't ever worn sunscreen even though I should, so I take the blame for that. My Irish, Swiss, German, French, and English backgrounds don't protect me from the sun at all, but I usually go around the evening into the night, so it's usually not a problem :p

Even with a helmet it can still be incredibly dangerous unfortunately. Poor Michael Schumacher hitting his head while snowboarding (and wearing a helmet), and may never wake up from his coma. Hard to believe that years of dangerous motorsport racing, and in the end it was something else that injured him so badly.

That's so sad to hear. I'm always reminded how dangerous it is even when I'm just going down the mountain. It's really not a safe sport and when mountains are overcrowded with pros and beginners on the same runs, it can get really scary.

My first time going snowboarding, the place I rented equipment from made you pay extra for a helmet, so not that many people rented one (I certainly didn't). The second place I rented from required you to rent a helmet and I put up a huge fuss over it but reluctantly wore it. I took a huge fall later that day after someone collided with me and hit my head so hard I was seeing stars... and that was with the helmet on and I was probably pushing 10 mph, not fast at all. I still shudder to think what would've happened had I not been wearing that helmet. That was the last time I ever second guessed if I should wear a helmet or not. The answer is always. Always wear a helmet.

I wish I could just watch every event I like live. It's so frustrating when you hear the results on the radio hours before you can watch.

I'm lucky enough to be able to stream it at work but I hear you. I would hate that. I have friends who try to wait for results in primetime but I'm not sure how they do it. Too many outlets post results right as they happen. I feel like you would have to sit in a dark room all day to avoid them.

I tweet about results live but I gave all my followers a warning on twitter to unfollow me before the games if they didn't want to see.

I cannot look at Bob Costas' eyes any more. Just listening from here out.

Literally said the same thing tonight. I swear it gets worse every night and every time they cut back to him. Makes my eyes water just seeing him. Like, take a day off Bob. They have to have someone else there that can read from a teleprompter.

BgJ9tXzIcAAHy4Z.jpg

Monday night and the camera is staying a good 10 feet away. No more close ups tonight! That picture is killing me.

I wish I could just watch every event I like live. It's so frustrating when you hear the results on the radio hours before you can watch.

For the summer Olympics I streamed gymnastics online for every single event.

I just can't seem to put forth the effort for winter. I tried to sit through the ice skating stream Saturday and I was just like "eh. I'll dvr it tonight"

Best Olympics ever was Summer 08. Beijing was exactly 12 hrs ahead if east coast USA. So everything (that I was interested in) was live

For the summer Olympics I streamed gymnastics online for every single event.

I just can't seem to put forth the effort for winter. I tried to sit through the ice skating stream Saturday and I was just like "eh. I'll dvr it tonight"

Best Olympics ever was Summer 08. Beijing was exactly 12 hrs ahead if east coast USA. So everything (that I was interested in) was live

We did too.
For me, it is the swimming that I want to see live. Watching Michael Phelps that summer was magical.

This year is perfect for me, the difference is 3 hours so I can watch it live throughout the day. I'm watching snowboard halfpipe right now! They do some insane flips.

This year is perfect for me, the difference is 3 hours so I can watch it live throughout the day. I'm watching snowboard halfpipe right now! They do some insane flips.
im watching skating live..in class.. it is literally the only event ive gotten to watch live from start to finish

Back