All-Star 2015-2016 Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So how come a team that competes skills above their division is a sin, but a team that competes skills below their division is OK?
Just thinking, if a L5 team has majority non-twisting and single twisting tumbling, shaky L5 stunting, etc., with the availability of Restricted, why shouldn't they be held accountable for the lack of skills?
Yes. And I think they are held accountable as seen by not placing well in their divisions at competitions during the season, or by getting an AL bid and paying for the experience of prelims. It is truly up to a coach and gym (not the athletes or parents) how they choose to level their teams, and I wish more would see R5 as a stepping stone to Level 5 and not a failure or set back. Unfortunately for many smaller gyms, the lure of attending Worlds (not winning, mind you) is just too great especially when other gyms in your region do go.

Yes. And I think they are held accountable as seen by not placing well in their divisions at competitions during the season, or by getting an AL bid and paying for the experience of prelims. It is truly up to a coach and gym (not the athletes or parents) how they choose to level their teams, and I wish more would see R5 as a stepping stone to Level 5 and not a failure or set back. Unfortunately for many smaller gyms, the lure of attending Worlds (not winning, mind you) is just too great especially when other gyms in your region do go.
I think it has everything to do with "advertising". Plastering that picture up on your website (of course not mentioning more than the fact that said team "qualified" or "participated") Face it...Susie's mom dreams of Susie and her piked layout being on a world's team...and wowza...Gym Gym Elite has a Worlds team! Susie's mom is gonna check that out!

Sigh. That means CP's gym could realistically put her as a Tiny again...this doesn't thrill me. No disrespect, but a 7 year old has no business on Tiny's...wanna talk about sandbagging? Hahahahaha

Yes, same for us. Not looking forward to a 3rd year on tiny's.

So how come a team that competes skills above their division is a sin, but a team that competes skills below their division is OK?
Just thinking, if a L5 team has majority non-twisting and single twisting tumbling, shaky L5 stunting, etc., with the availability of Restricted, why shouldn't they be held accountable for the lack of skills?
They should and do. I've seen teams ripped to shreds here for competing up when there's no way is Hades that they should. Haven't you? Or am I missing something?

They should and do. I've seen teams ripped to shreds here for competing up when there's no way is Hades that they should. Haven't you? Or am I missing something?

Maybe they do get ripped to shreds and I just didn't know. I was just thinking there should be a clear disqualifying deal-breaker clause. If there's not, there's really no incentive to compete in the proper division.

Maybe they do get ripped to shreds and I just didn't know. I was just thinking there should be a clear disqualifying deal-breaker clause. If there's not, there's really no incentive to compete in the proper division.
I would LOVE to see a minimum score requirement put into place in order to be allowed to compete at level X. Since everyone can have a bad day, in my Utopia you'd get two comps to hit that minimum. After that, you drop a level. I'm dreaming, I know...

I had really hoped for a raise in the bottom age for senior. I'm saying this as the parent of a kid who was on 2 senior teams at age 10. Yes, she had the skills necessary. Yes, she enjoyed the bragging rights to being the only 10 year old in the gym on senior teams. No, there was not an age and skill appropriate team for her as the gym was still too small then. Still had she had to wait another year to utilize her skills that would have been ok. In retrospect I feel that a kid going on a senior team should at least be in Jr High....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would LOVE to see a minimum score requirement put into place in order to be allowed to compete at level X. Since everyone can have a bad day, in my Utopia you'd get two comps to hit that minimum. After that, you drop a level. I'm dreaming, I know...

Agreed but scoring is so inconsistent - I have seen level 5 teams score in the 90's with tucks and layouts - again tucks and layouts with the bare minimum in stunting. I am still amazed by this and that comp was over a month ago. Scoring in the last couple of years has more to due with perception than anything else. Couple this with a lack of trained, consistent judging - your Utopia will never exists.

I am 16 and there's an 18 year old on my team, but my flyer is 10. Yesterday she was telling me about how excited she is for 5th grade graduation...
I about fell over... I "graduated" 5th grade 5 years ago. I definitely was hoping the senior age would've been raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahaha that was my kid last year on Senior restricted! A 10 year old and some 18 year old seniors, but they were sweet. NOTHING in common but sweet!

So I've got a question….

SR5 - is the age cut off Aug 31st (meaning they need to be 10 minimum by Aug 31st) or is it by the end of the competition season (so basically by Dec 31st of 2016)? It is a bit unclear.

Sorry if this has already been hashed and rehashed.

I think it has everything to do with "advertising". Plastering that picture up on your website (of course not mentioning more than the fact that said team "qualified" or "participated") Face it...Susie's mom dreams of Susie and her piked layout being on a world's team...and wowza...Gym Gym Elite has a Worlds team! Susie's mom is gonna check that out!
Gym Gym Elite sounds cute and hilarious at the same time.

Back