All-Star 2015-2016 Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel like JR5 will hurt J5 more than Y5. The big players in Y5 this year: CEA, Rays, ECE, WC, and ICE all have J5 teams as well and most also have SR5s, so I don't think they will really need/want to utilize JR5...I feel like the gyms with decent J5's that just can't seem to keep up with the big name gyms in J5, like the ones above as well as like CA, SOT and Woodlands, would be more likely to make use of this new division, depleting the competition in the regular J5 divisions, which already aren't that large compared to J1-4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the restricted j5 division is pretty cool. I'm not sure if we will have the athletes to have one but we may next season.

9612d09914c20138dcc2cca35a3f5c78.jpg
8f7a2b46f6d7d8d09428ffca301b69fc.jpg
903f66d5bfcdb037190dccc74c1d1694.jpg

Here is the rest of the document I received in my email. I don't think I saw the rest of it posted!

I kinda like the thing with international open small coed since that akes it easier for the international teams from countries where boys are hard to find. Like in sweden we have one (!) coed team this year that is competing level 6 and there may be one more that is competing level 5 (we combine coed and allgirl level 5s for now. level 5 is quite new to sweden.) and the coed teams over here never have more that like 5 boys on them so this makes the strees to recruit boys a little bit easier on them. so they can concentrate on getting stunting and tumbling up to par (wich still isnt easy because we do NOT have spring floors over here. at all.)

I personally like the JR5 opportunity. I know our gym has been unable to field a J5 in the past couple years because we just didn't have the double and specialty to doubles to be competitive. With our lower levels spending more time on getting specialty passes to max out their own level, less kids are at the point where they are working on doubles. At least at our gym. So we would have gotten killed in the J5 divisions against mega gyms like Rays, CA, CA, SOT, ECE, WC, CEA, etc. So I'm optimistic about this new division. With mega gyms getting even bigger, and teams getting stronger and stronger, I think this division helps small and medium sized gyms be able to continue growing the talent in their programs without trying to get their athletes to compromise technique all for the sake of needing more doubles.

Sorry if I read it wrong but is it just me or is there not an open 4.2 anymore? I mightve missed it but I don't think I saw it

Waits for the D1/D2 bomb to drop...

:enjoyshow:

Lots of huffing and puffing about this over in the ASGA FB group. I don't understand why. It's really no different than the "small gym" classification (except now we actually have a name for the gyms that didn't fall into "small gym"- there was no "large gym" division before). I like that prep is being counted, so that those gyms who force kids into prep divisions in order to stay small can't use that loophole anymore. I like that the number went up to help soften the blow of counting prep athletes. You aren't FORCED to compete D2 if you have 125 or under, just like no one was forcing programs with 75 or under this year to compete in small gym- you have the option to move "up" into D1 if you want to compete against the bigger programs.

A kid in elementary school can be on a senior team. That just seems so weird to me.
I am 16 and there's an 18 year old on my team, but my flyer is 10. Yesterday she was telling me about how excited she is for 5th grade graduation...
I about fell over... I "graduated" 5th grade 5 years ago. I definitely was hoping the senior age would've been raised.

Lots of huffing and puffing about this over in the ASGA FB group. I don't understand why. It's really no different than the "small gym" classification (except now we actually have a name for the gyms that didn't fall into "small gym"- there was no "large gym" division before). I like that prep is being counted, so that those gyms who force kids into prep divisions in order to stay small can't use that loophole anymore. I like that the number went up to help soften the blow of counting prep athletes. You aren't FORCED to compete D2 if you have 125 or under, just like no one was forcing programs with 75 or under this year to compete in small gym- you have the option to move "up" into D1 if you want to compete against the bigger programs.
I feel like the d2 is just the same. Not every comp is going to offer D2. I feel like it will be just like it is now with certain comps offering small gym divisions. I don't see the change EXCEPT the prep teams must be counted! I love this because there are gyms forcing people on prep teams to stay small.

I personally like the JR5 opportunity. I know our gym has been unable to field a J5 in the past couple years because we just didn't have the double and specialty to doubles to be competitive. With our lower levels spending more time on getting specialty passes to max out their own level, less kids are at the point where they are working on doubles. At least at our gym. So we would have gotten killed in the J5 divisions against mega gyms like Rays, CA, CA, SOT, ECE, WC, CEA, etc. So I'm optimistic about this new division. With mega gyms getting even bigger, and teams getting stronger and stronger, I think this division helps small and medium sized gyms be able to continue growing the talent in their programs without trying to get their athletes to compromise technique all for the sake of needing more doubles.
I'm not trying to argue, but just curious how many of the kids that are on your current Senior Restricted would also be on your Junior Restricted 5 if they had the division this year?

I just read through the Division II requirements. I see so many loopholes with this, especially since some parts of the country don't even start to compete until after the November 1 date, and there will also be some gyms that can legitimately claim themselves Division II and then have half year tryouts. There is nothing in the rules that states if the gym enrollment increases to more than 125 after November 1 they need to move to Division I.

Back